Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Getting back to the subject of the OP--you gotta wonder what Blago's day was like today. Think he got much work done went he went into his office? Trouble or no trouble, there's still a lot of tasks a governor has to attend to. I feel extremely sorry for anyone who has an issue that needs his attention right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I feel extremely sorry for anyone who has an issue that needs his attention right now...
Apparently if they hadn't paid for his attention to begin with, there isn't much likelihood that their issues were any better off then than they are now.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm really curious. Just what do you mean by "people like Obama?"
I'm afraid I can't tell you that. See, when I say "those people", only guys like Kootr, Sanrene, me and a few others know what that means.

Know what I mean?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'm afraid I can't tell you that. See, when I say "those people", only guys like Kootr, Sanrene, me and a few others know what that means.

Know what I mean?
Aha. You really had me going. Kudoos to you. I see where you are headed.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I think the burden of proof should actually fall to you conspiracy theorists on this one. Since you're in the minority thinking that Obama was in on something sinister, it's up to you to prove it instead of just throwing out conjecture.
This is the statement that I was referring to:

Quote:
Emanuel HELPED the FBI by blowing the whistle to Fitzgerald.
Until any of you are able to provide a reputable source to back up this allegation, it is nothing more than conjecture. Provide a link to a reputable news source (not some guy's blog) that says Rahm Emmanuel blew the whistle on Blagojevich.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is the statement that I was referring to:

Until any of you are able to provide a reputable source to back up this allegation, it is nothing more than conjecture. Provide a link to a reputable news source (not some guy's blog) that says Rahm Emmanuel blew the whistle on Blagojevich.
And what I am saying is that, again, the burden of proof falls to you on this. Until you or a news organization provides a reputable article proving otherwise, I will continue to believe that Emanuel blew the whistle.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
How do you explain this November 5th meeting between Obama and Blago?

http://www.connecttristates.com/news...aspx?id=217582

Who will fill Obama's senate seat?

Ill. governor meeting with Obama today
By Carol Sowers
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 10:39 a.m.

CHICAGO, ILL. -- Now that Barack Obama will be moving to the White House, his seat in the U.S. Senate representing Illinois will have to be filled. That's one of Obama's first priorities today. He's meeting with Governor Rod Blagojevich this afternoon in Chicago to discuss it.
Illinois law states that the governor chooses that replacement. There's already been speculation about his selection...from Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. of Chicago's south side who co-chaired Obama's presidential campaign, to recently-retired state senate president Emil Jones, to the governor himself.
It's likely the governor will make his decision quickly so the new senator will get some seniority before newly-elected senators take office in January.
Part of the timing depends on when Obama officially vacates his senate seat. KHQA's Alexis Hunt is speaking with Illinois Senator John Sullivan today about his thoughts on that replacement process, his time working with Obama in the state senate, and if there's a chance Sullivan might play a role in the Obama administration.
Watch KHQA News at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 p.m. tonight to hear what he has to say.
This is how I explain it. (I know you'll think it's dumb because it doesn't involve any meetings in dark garages involving chain smokers with fake names.)

Blago: Who would you like to see in the Senate seat, Mr. Obama? I'd like to help you out if I could. Wink wink.

Obama: I'd like to see X, Y, or Z. They're all smart and have long histories of public service. We're going to need some hard working senators in the coming years because we have a lot to get done.

Blago: Hmmmm. Well, is there anything you can think of that would make me select one or the other of these? Wink Wink.

Obama: No, other than to tell you that it's an important decision and I'll appreciate if you give it your thoughtful consideration.

See how un-nefarious a person's participation in a meeting can be? When Obama said he didn't know anything about it, he could mean he didn't know anything about Blago trying to sell the Senate seat.

I don't know the details of what went on and neither do you. But you're so blinded by your hatred of Obama that you can't see that there are endless possibilities to explain why Obama said what he did.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
If your proposed scenario were true, why would Obama lie about meeting with Blago to discuss the Senate Seat? There's nothing Obama would need to hide in your scenario, so why did Obama lie, which then caused Axelrod to lie?
As you know, I made up the scenario to counter the immediate assumption on the part of Obama-detractors that he's guilty of something or that he's "going down" for his association with Blagojevich. If Obama did
meet with Blago, it could have been a very benign conversation as I made up.

It's also possible that he had a meeting set with the governor and it was cancelled and Axelrod didn't know that or forgot it and was mistaken when he said Obama met with Blago. People do make honest mistakes, even politicians.

Or, Obama and his staff could have discussed meeting with Blago to talk about who they'd like to see appointed (Jarrett??) but then decided against it because he's apparently a well-known slime-ball and they didn't want to be associated with him. Axelrod might have thought that meeting did take place or that they got further along in that process than they did.

But the bottom line is that the prosecutor has made a point of saying Obama is not suspected of participating and the they have Blago on tape as saying that all the Obama people would offer them is gratitude. Does that sound like evidence to you that Obama was involved in anything?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Jesse Jackson, Jr. is making his statement now.
He acts so pious and is so good at tooting his own horn. We will see what happens...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
No, it doesn't. So why did Obama and Axelrod feel the need to lie about it?
Why indeed?

This story has legs. The thing niggling my mind is why Fitz pulled the plug on the investigation before the "money shot". I mean, really....Why not let it play out and get the feller who was buying? I smell a fish. Fitz had so much patience with the Valerie Plame case. Nobody was going to be harmed if he let this play out. Why?

My guess is because they knew the Golden Child is involved.

I thought it would take a year or two before Barry was exposed. Starting to look like it's right around the corner. My gosh, even the media is starting to prick up their ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections