Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times

Advertisements

So I was in Manhattan this past saturday to spend the afternoon with some college friends, all of whom either live in Rockland County (NW of the city) or Suffolk County (eastern LI for anyone unfamiliar with this area.) I was introduced to someone who, like myself, is intrigued by the real estate world. She currently holds her license, I'm looking to get mine soon so I can sell property as a second job. I mentioned how our president elect Obama may provide us with a stimulus check once he's in office, and if he did, I'd use that check to cover the real estate course. I don't remember how we got onto the subject, but when I hinted that I had voted for Obama, this girl just raised her voice to me (which if it were anywhere else she would have gotten an earful from me) and asked "did you vote for that piece of sh*t?" When I nodded and responded yes, she then proceded to tell me it was Obama's fault that she would not be getting her usual bonus next year - reason being is Obama is proposing a tax increase for those making over $200,000 (which I reminded her needs to be approved by Congress) and if passed, the executives of her company would not accept this so they'd make their normal net amount of money by taking away her bonus. I would assess the blame here on her company's arrogant, greedy upper management, who, like most professional athletes, have entitlement attitudes. But no, it's always the Democrats fault. After she and her Long Island lackeys criticized me for the vote of my choice, I attempted a joke by saying "Yeah well, your other choice was McCain and Governor Avon Lady." At which point they all decided to bluntly end the conversation - and this gets to the heart of the issue. Why is it that they feel they can instigate attacks and insult people because they dont' share their viewpoints, and the minute I attempt to defend myself and say, "look, let's talk rationally about this" (as I did when they copped an attitude with me), their attitude is basically "Talk to the hand."

Look, I don't give a damn who you vote for. Thats your decision. I can respect a person's opinion and who they vote for, no matter how staunchly i disagree with it. As the saying goes, we'll simply have to agree to disagree. But for someone to be as rude as this individual was, to dish it out and not take it, that really pisses me off. Maybe it's just a Lond Island mentality, they often act as if they're superior to everyone not from there. Why this is I really don't know but it's very annoying and very rude. I certainly don't think there's anything egrigiously wrong with LI or its people. I know it well and some of it is very nice, but why everyone acts like they live on Park Avenue in Manhattan remains very much a mystery. People in my town have money as well, but they also have tolerance and class. Wouldn't those traits be as valued as money and the Gospel According to Rush Limbaugh?

When people told me years ago that Bush would be one of the best presidents we ever had (don't ask) and gloated and told me I was the one being naive for voting for a Democrat, I bit my lip, said "OK. We'll see." I wasn't surprised Kerry lost in '04, but so many people who voted for Bush are now complaining about how bad things are economically, and yet they won't even acknowledge that this is happening on Bush's watch. Obviously, the blame for this country's economic mess can't be traced back to one person, including Bush, but keep this in mind: If this were happening on Clinton's watch, this conversation would be over.

If anyone is immature enough to criticize me or anyone for who voted for a Dem, all I can say is this: Deal with it. There's nothing that can be done about it. I'm sure the "informed" people, like those mentioned above, will make the most of every opportunity to bash our president elect. If people like this really want something to look into for the next four years, here's my suggestion: Try a mirror.

You'll have to excuse me for being a little blunt, I'm just a little thrown off by people's rudeness in case you haven't noticed. To the people reading this, keep this in mind before replying - I'm not looking to start a debate here. I'm simply at a lost for words as to why certain people (who vote for certain people) can always dish out the crud but can't take it. It's amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Well, if you truly dislike rudeness, this ain't your forum, LOL. Unless you totally approve of being rude to whatever side you're not on and only abhor rudeness from people with whom you don't agree. This is THE rudest forum I've ever seen and you've got to play the game or find another one, frankly.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I miss living in the East. No one out here in Washington state would ever call a politician a "piece of sh*t". Maybe that's why we have so many of them around here. LOL

Damn, the snow is beautiful tonight, though. And it is quiet, so quiet outside under the stars. Not a soul around.

"The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep"....

Last edited by Yeledaf; 12-23-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,500 times
I hear you, and I agree with what you have said. The election is over now, the president-elect will take office in a few weeks. There is no changing anything so we should all just hope for the best. No matter who got into office, or whoever gets in office in the future, decisions will be made that will not be popular with EVERYONE. It is an impossible job. One can only hope that the people in all offices will act for the good of the majority. I also agree with you about how the high executives should stop "stealing" from the people/employees-workers in order to keep their high salaries at that high mark. Unfortunately these are things that seem to be forever present. And you might wish to remind your friend/s that in these days there are plenty of other people who are not making $200,00 or anywhere near that so she should still be thankful. Jeez, you just cannot please some people. LOL. Sorry you had to go through that. I am not so sure it is a Long Island thing though, being from there myself I never would act that way to anyone. LI is mixed up enough of all classes so I think you just hit upon the "upper crust" of people there. That still does not excuse their actions towards you. Vent all you want, we'll listen more. Don't let this ruin your upcoming holidays though.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Whoever you were introduced to was a jerk. Vent and move on . . .

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Cliffs?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Obama's not giving out checks

I currently reside in North Jersey and that attitude is very prevelant. If you're an Obama supporter (as most up here are) you better be quiet and if you're a republican/McPalin supporter then you're allowed to spout off about whatever and blame Obama for everything even if he's not yet president. To call the Pres-Elect a piece of sh*t is childish at best. It seems like that's their way of coping with the loss..Bash parties which you ruined with your reasoning. I try to play the part of Obamabash Party Buzzkill as much as possible. Don't tell them up front that you support Obama, just nod and smile like you agree, then pretend to play devils advocate, the finally tell them you voted for Obama and watch their faces..Priceless

Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
I'm sorry for your experience, maybe it is an LI thing.

I'm in Texas and as you can imagine this is a pretty big Republican State, and many here still consider Bush a great president. When I tell people I voted Obama in this last election, I have yet to have anybody be rude to me. Usually they ask why and I tell them my reasons for it. A couple of people have even bought me a drink at the bar, telling me I told them something new.

What is sad is that so many people have judged Obama's presidency even though he has yet to take office. Yet it is these same people who refuse to admit Bush did anything even remotely wrong while in office.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I don't remember how we got onto the subject, but when I hinted that I had voted for Obama, this girl just raised her voice to me (which if it were anywhere else she would have gotten an earful from me) and asked "did you vote for that piece of sh*t?"
I sold RE in SC for a couple of years. I would say that the lady's attitude was typical of 98% of the agents and brokers here, whether or not they articulated it.

They are terrified that Obama will bring regulation to the finance industry and cut out 100% loans that require interest-only payments, which is the only way some of them were able to sell anything.

I hope he does. Good luck with your license. The market will turn again.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
I also live in Texas. Immediately after the election (November 5), I had two co-workers really be rude to me. They literally were screaming at me when they came to work. I understand that they were upset. I would have been equally upset had McCain won. I hope that I would not have been rude. Since then they have cooled down and have taken an attitude of, "We will see." They have also apologized.

More encouraging, some of my close Republican friends with whom I made an agreement to just not discuss the election prior to the election are now telling me that they are pleased with Obama's picks and suggestions so far. They perceive him as a centrist rather than the far left liberal presented to them by their party. They are also taking a watch and see attitude, but they are pleased at this point.

In Texas, we consider all politicians a piece of s**t--even the ones we vote for and like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections