Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,948 times

Advertisements

Jermaine Dupri, a hip-hop and pop producer wrote this piece for HuffPo.
I loved it and he said everthing that I have been thinking for the longest time.
I hope you all will enjoy it as much as I did.

Jermaine Dupri: Let President-Elect Obama Stay in His Own Lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
This is so funny, and so true--thanks for sharing it. I like this part, especially:

"Who's next in line to b****? Will cat lovers complain that the first family is only talking about adopting a dog and discriminating against felines? Will left-handed jugglers be upset that they're not represented? Why not appoint a few little people to the Cabinet while he's at it?"

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
That sounds like the views of a few posters here all rolled into one. Good read and well stated.

I kinda like this part of the article.

"Why can't Obama have his moment however he wants it and with whoever the hell he chooses? I don't give a f*ck if Big Foot swears him in. Y'all should let the man have his day."

Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 AM

I loved the whole thing and I read some of the comments and most people didn't get what he was trying to say.

I think that this article speaks to a lot of people who are over the spoiled activists who think that they are the only people that reside on this planet!

Loved it!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Yes, we should bow our heads in humble silent obeisance, afterall, who do we think we are?! We aren't the uber-wealthy! We aren't big corporations with lobbyists! We aren't important religious leaders! We aren't foreign governments! Who are we to bend the ear of our ruler??
How DARE we speak up! How dare we assume "Free Speech" is still free! How dare we assume that we, the average citizens who pay taxes, have anything important to discuss.
Obama has much more important people to listen to...we mere citizens should just be silent ...let the rich, powerful and important rule.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Great article. I actually can't believe JD pinned it but props to him for being insightful. Obama will do it his way. We all wont like something or other along the way. You cant please everybody nor should you try to specifically please anybody. Obama has made it a point to be all inclusive. Rick Warren wouldn't be my first choice(or choice at all) but he would be the 1st choice of many so I can accept it. I'll just tune out his words and enjoy (WITH GREAT GLEE) the rest of the inauguration.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM

In that case you missed the point too.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
In that case you missed the point too.
I guess people often pick up on different points. What do you think the main point was?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, we should bow our heads in humble silent obeisance, afterall, who do we think we are?! We aren't the uber-wealthy! We aren't big corporations with lobbyists! We aren't important religious leaders! We aren't foreign governments! Who are we to bend the ear of our ruler??
How DARE we speak up! How dare we assume "Free Speech" is still free! How dare we assume that we, the average citizens who pay taxes, have anything important to discuss.
Obama has much more important people to listen to...we mere citizens should just be silent ...let the rich, powerful and important rule.
I look at it like we're all a bunch of people riding on a bus, and we've chosen one person to be the bus driver. It's ok to speak up. After all, the bus driver wants you to tell him certain stops are important. But once you've spoken up it's important to chill and let the driver drive.

When 100 different passengers begin pestering the driver very mile of the trip, that's a good way to end up in a ditch. It's not ok for people to start grabbing the steering wheel. It is not ok to pull on the arms of the driver. And if everyone tries to be a "backseat driver" you're bound to go off the road completely. The bottom line is, if you want to get to your destination you have to speak up from time to time but otherwise let the driver drive.

And the other bottom line is, if you just can't resist wanting to drive, you should run for office. If you really want to be the bus driver, go out and get the job yourself. If you're angry that "the rich, powerful and important rule"... why not become a politician and become "powerful and important" yourself? Meanwhile, right now Obama's the bus driver and we are just passengers. So let him drive, and we might just get to our destination.

Last edited by normie; 01-05-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM

I wasn't directing it at Tank...lol he beat me to the punch.

But I think the main point is that no matter what agenda you voted for him for, he is not in the office yet. He just moved to DC yesterday.

And I also think the point was that everybody in this country has their hand out for something and if it doesn't go their way, they get upset. We need to improve this contry on many issues not just gay issues or women's issues.

If he panders to one particular group then he is not the President of the UNITED States but the President of So and So...and So.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections