Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Congress officially declares Obama next president

Game, set and match.

Republicans joined Democrats in a standing ovation as Vice President Dick Cheney, in his role as speaker of the Senate, announced from the podium that Obama had achieved a majority of votes and would be the 44th president on Jan. 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
One thing about the US, as well as the other stable democracies out there, that makes these nations strong is that power can be transfered at the will of the people without violence and mayhem. I recall the debacle of the Bush election back in 2001 and while I did not like the result (I voted for Gore), I was happy that the resolution ended without violence. I suspect that at some point in the future, a president will be again be elected that I did not vote for and do not like, and I suspect, and hope, that the transition of power will be just as smooth.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Game, set and match.

Republicans joined Democrats in a standing ovation as Vice President Dick Cheney, in his role as speaker of the Senate, announced from the podium that Obama had achieved a majority of votes and would be the 44th president on Jan. 20.
As I understand it, this was basically just a formality. Kind of a ceremony.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
As I understand it, this was basically just a formality. Kind of a ceremony.
That's ALL it was......a ceremony! I was watching it on TV today, when it came on it at least gave me time to use the restroom, then flip back to a station that had something MORE entertaining to watch!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Game, set and match.

I object to a foreigner faking his way into the office as potus.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Who cares?

Ken

Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I recall the debacle of the Bush election back in 2001 and while I did not like the result (I voted for Gore), I was happy that the resolution ended without violence. I suspect that at some point in the future, a president will be again be elected that I did not vote for and do not like, and I suspect, and hope, that the transition of power will be just as smooth.
Does that mean you hope YOU don't get violent?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
Does that mean you hope YOU don't get violent?
I know you put a little 'winky face' at the end of your comment, but I fail to understand what you mean. I've never implied violence against democratically elected politicians I do not like.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
That's ALL it was......a ceremony! I was watching it on TV today, when it came on it at least gave me time to use the restroom, then flip back to a station that had something MORE entertaining to watch!
Ah, no it isn't just a ceremony nor is it simply a formality. For you amateur Constitutional experts, if you there was to be an objection regarding Obama's qualifications this was the time for them to be raised.

Chapter 1 of Title 3, United States Code (62 Stat. 672, as amended):

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
So object! What are you doing moaning about it on a message board! Call your Congressman! Call your Senator! Get out in the streets!

If it's as dire as all that to you, why aren't you out there doing something about it!?

Or could it be that you know the case lacks merit, and that your objection is based on half-cooked speculation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections