Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
You know what bothers me about this comment? It's the fact that there's not a single White person alive today who ever owned a slave or murdered a Native American Indian. So why must so many people continue to punish (and to an extent, even "hate") White people for horrible atrocities that we did not commit?

On the other hand, there are plenty of White people alive today who are either directly responsible for, or who supported, enacting the Civil Rights Act, desegragation, and affirmative action.
When we find out why there are still people who continue to group all blacks or any other minority group together and apply the actions of a few to the whole group then we'll probably find out the answer to your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,766,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For 355 years, America, has never for one second, considered a descendant of African slaves as being half white, or multi-racial despite the fact that throughout that time their have been literally millions of children born to both Africans and Europeans. And in each and every one of those births, either by law or by social norms, those children were considered, colored, negro or black and no one ever gave a second of thought about those children losing their white ethnic identity. In point of fact, everything instrument of society did it's damnedest to make sure that they DIDn't identity with the persons of European heritage. So, I find this more recent effort of European Americans to reach out an claim one of the bastard children quite fascinating.
Not entirely true although by and large you are totally correct. Sometimes, some mixed race people took on a "new" ancestry to blend into white society. They called themselves "Black Dutch." A lot of "white" southerners have "Black Dutch" ancestry. For many, this means hidden Native American ancestry, but for some, their ancestors were the illegitimate children of slave and master, raised in the master's household or hidden by a husband in a less than welcoming society.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Interesting and excellent point. I suspect a Rousseauian type view to be at least in part responsible for this point of view.
I honestly, in the most positive sense, would like to read what you see as being Rousseuian about the point of view.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,205,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I honestly, in the most positive sense, would like to read what you see as being Rousseuian about the point of view.
Rousseau's view of the noble savage is how many whites in the past and even still view blacks in America. (the oft repeated diatribe of blacks and welfare suggesting they can't care for themselves) It is to me transparent racism because by contextually associating any bi-racial person with within the minority group, it would suggest that the person making such a claim is then assuming a superior position based upon race. A drop of non-white blood and immediately some assume that a person is then a minority or a lesser person? Its at the very least condescending and to me, that was Rousseau's view.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'll never understand why white people are so hung up on "race", now we have to be angry that minorities celebrate their ethnic backgrounds?

I would LOVE to see "white history" celebrated more often, let's remember slavery and the genocide of Native Americans as our first foray into "White History Month", whaddya think?

Wow, I can believe that I actually agree with O'Donnie but it's a great Idea! We can have a month set aside to honor the history of whites in America good and bad. Finally whites will get credit for putting a man on the Moon and we can celebrate that white accomplishment. But I don't think we should stop there. I think we should have a white Miss America pageant and a white Image Award for outstanding whites too. We could teach school children how white males have accomplished wonderful things in spite of government affirmative action programs that are geared to depriving white males of equal opportunities. Of course we will have to keep things fair so February's Black History month will have to now include atrocities committed by blacks against other groups. Fair's fair.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Rousseau's view of the noble savage is how many whites in the past and even still view blacks in America. (the oft repeated diatribe of blacks and welfare suggesting they can't care for themselves) It is to me transparent racism because by contextually associating any bi-racial person with within the minority group, it would suggest that the person making such a claim is then assuming a superior position based upon race. A drop of non-white blood and immediately some assume that a person is then a minority or a lesser person? Its at the very least condescending and to me, that was Rousseau's view.
Thanks, but no thanks, because now I am going to have to go back and re-read Rousseau.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,793,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I'll confess, I don't post in here and I don't even read in here but as I am confined to my hospital bed this morning watching all of the tv coverage of the inauguration it popped into my head: all of the race stuff surrounding Obama focuses on one half of his heritage. I think the fact that he is of both races is to be celebrated; not one race more than the other. I do understand the significance of someone with African American heritage to make it to the office.

I just wondered what else everyone thinks about this? I am not looking for an argument, just your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
What caucasian heritage? he wants to be known as a ------

Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Finally whites will get credit for putting a man on the Moon and we can celebrate that white accomplishment.
I think that my African American uncle who did the programing for the Saturn IV booster might take offense at "whites" taking credit for putting a man on the moon.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

PS - I suppose that a White History month would at least get a month with at least 30 days.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM

432 posts, read 1,665,943 times
If Obama was a murderer,Whites will not try to claim him but because he is the president,They want him to celebrate him being half white????

Go tell that to UNCLE TOM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections