Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times

Advertisements

I heard an interesting hypothetical on the radio this morning. What if back in 1996, Colin Powell had run as a Republican and defeated Bill Clinton. Would we have seen the same hype back then that we are seeing for Obama now? Would it have been "historic"? Would there have been comparisons to Lincoln? Would the celebrities have been falling all over each other to be part of that inauguration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
No, we wouldn't have. Because if you remember your history correctly, Clinton was actually our first black President.

Besides, I don't think Powell - or anybody else - could have unseated Clinton in '96.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
No, we wouldn't have. Because if you remember your history correctly, Clinton was actually our first black President.

Besides, I don't think Powell - or anybody else - could have unseated Clinton in '96.
Too true....but what about Powell vs Gore? I think he would have won that handily.
As to the media.....yeah, I think they would have had to report the historical significance of such a win. But I don't think Powell would have received the 'tingles of my leg' kind of love from the media that Obama has gotten.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Too true....but what about Powell vs Gore? I think he would have won that handily.
As to the media.....yeah, I think they would have had to report the historical significance of such a win. But I don't think Powell would have received the 'tingles of my leg' kind of love from the media that Obama has gotten.
Powell vs Gore = Powell landslide.

And honestly, I think Powell would have been MORE loved than Obama. He has a long record of exemplary military service.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Powell vs Gore = Powell landslide.

And honestly, I think Powell would have been MORE loved than Obama. He has a long record of exemplary military service.
I agree. I would have enjoyed seeing him in office and I think he would have done well. He always seemed to be one of the few people in our federal government with real integrity. He just needed to grow a stiffer spine and speak up when he wanted. I know he was probably worried about his job ( and possibly his life?) but when you are that high up in the world and show honesty in spite of the consequences I'm sure someone would have offered him a nice job afterward.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
I was actually a little surprised when Powell was not appointed to some position .. perhaps he still will...I agree that he has a great deal of integrity and I think he has stood up to what is right and paid a price for it too...unfortunate, one should not be penalized for honesty, integrity and character....if anything, those traits, which seem rarer and rarer, should be honored.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Its an interesting counterfactual argument.

"Would we have seen the same hype back then that we are seeing for Obama now?"

Without a doubt. However how wide spread and pervasive that "hype" would in all likelihood would another questions.

"I think Powell would have been MORE loved than Obama. He has a long record of exemplary military service."

Oh, I couldn't disagree more, especially if Powell had run as a Republican because Powell would have faced the same problems faced by McCain with regards to the right wing element of the Party (perhaps even more so) and would have been viewed with measured skepticism by Democrats.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
The base of the Republican party would have rejected Powell.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
I don't believe the hype would be anything like what we have seen the past few days. This is the perfect storm: black, liberal, and the darling of the media...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The base of the Republican party would have rejected Powell.
Absolutely not. The myth that republicans and/or conservatives are inherently racist is just that -- a myth.
Sort of like democrats are inherantly not racist

The truth of the matter is that had Powell run, he would have had enormous support from republicans. He was wooed, he was asked and he was begged to run....he considered it, and then declined. Rumor has it his wife said no as she was afraid that he would be asasinated.
Too bad because he would have been just the man to lead us through the aftermath of 9/11, and there is no way he would have been Cheneys or any other neocons puppet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections