Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Do you need a nap? Are you ok?
Dont you care about the truth? I get upset when people deliberately, um, misspeak or dissemble, and Im proud that I do and hope I never "outgrow" it. Sorry if you dont, I suppose that's where you and I differ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Reading comprehension OP!

From your newsmax link:

Ordinarily, neighborhood stabilization funds are distributed to local governments. But revised language in the stimulus bill would make the funds available directly to non-profit entities such as ACORN, the low-income housing organization whose pro-Democrat voter-registration activities have been blasted by Republicans. ACORN is cited by some for tipping the scales in the Democrats' favor in November.

Note from the bolded language that it is clear ACORN is an EXAMPLE of the types of organizations that would be ELIGIBLE to receive the funds. There is no flat out payment being authorized to ACORN however.

Totally desperate, as delusianne so astutely noted. Just more smoke and mirrors from the Repubs..
They might not deliberately do it...I dont think they read the things they post and understand them and make a judgment call as to how to present their posts. What gets me is they then defend the untruth and attack the messenger who called them out on it.

It's not just right wing posters on here, it's all those RW people. From the WH on down - even St. Ronald - "we-e-llll, ketchup is a vegetable."

Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 PM

172 posts, read 279,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Headline Newsmax.com - Obama’s Bill Hands ACORN $5.2 Billion Bailout

What the story says:

$1 billion stashed away in Community Development Block Grant money that ACORN often vies for successfully.
$10 million to develop or refurbish low-income housing, a specialty of ACORN’s.
$4.19 billion to stave off foreclosures via the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. Vadum states the current version of the bill would allow nonprofits to compete with cities and states for $3.44 billion of the money. Some $750 million, however, would be exclusively reserved for nonprofits such as ACORN, which is actually an umbrella organization for over 100 progressive organizations.

What the story doesn't say

The headline states that "Obama’s Bill Hands ACORN $5.2 Billion Bailout" yet no where in the body of the story is there any substantiation that ACORN is receiving any allocation much even being named in the legislation. We are being asked to make this leap of faith(?) that because the areas being funded are areas that ACORN is active in ipso facto implies not that ACORN might receive some fraction of that funding but that ACORN would receive all $5.2 billion.
All true, but don't you think it's naive to think that ACORN won't benefit from the Bill?

You may not have a problem with your money going to fund ACORN but I sure as heck do.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mo's View Post
All true, but don't you think it's naive to think that ACORN won't benefit from the Bill?

You may not have a problem with your money going to fund ACORN but I sure as heck do.
No, I think that it would be naive to believe that ACORN may be a beneficiary and I personally will be concerned with accountability regarding any group that receives Federal funding. But, having said that, I also understand the charges levied against ACORN and I will weigh them against the other work that ACORN has successfully pursued.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No, I think that it would be naive to believe that ACORN may be a beneficiary and I personally will be concerned with accountability regarding any group that receives Federal funding. But, having said that, I also understand the charges levied against ACORN and I will weigh them against the other work that ACORN has successfully pursued.
So as long as ACORN is only some what corrupt then it would be okay with you if they still receive tax payers money.

Under the current bill, as in the way it is written there is no reason at all to think that ACORN won't receive some funding. How much remains to be seen. I'm not interested in what good they do. Fraud is fraud and I don't freely give my money to fraud's.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
So as long as ACORN is only some what corrupt then it would be okay with you if they still receive tax payers money.

Under the current bill, as in the way it is written there is no reason at all to think that ACORN won't receive some funding. How much remains to be seen. I'm not interested in what good they do. Fraud is fraud and I don't freely give my money to fraud's.
The fraud you claim was in fact fraud committed by ACORN employees against ACORN.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The fraud you claim was in fact fraud committed by ACORN employees against ACORN.
If you believe that's the whole story.....

Either way, ACORN employees committing fraud even against their own organization still means that ACORN was involved in fraudulent activity.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If you believe that's the whole story.....
That is the whole story. Find a credible information source or ten and look it up.
Quote:
Either way, ACORN employees committing fraud even against their own organization still means that ACORN was involved in fraudulent activity.
Nice attempt at backpedaling, and there's no "either way" about it.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That is the whole story. Find a credible information source or ten and look it up.
Nice attempt at backpedaling, and there's no "either way" about it.

Laughing! You think that is back pedaling? You wacky lefty you. People/employee's make up organization's. These people define how good or in ACORNS case bad they are.

Not even a good try.....

Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I don't believe for one second the article is not true. Interesting how the media only reports certain things, you know, nothing bad about the Messiah.
That's interesting itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections