Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:02 AM

172 posts, read 559,368 times

Advertisements

As an independent I think this is a big fat non-issue. It is the presidents half-brother, who is not close with the first family at all, who lives on another continent and who was caught with 1 joint. I am sorry, but it doesn't mean anything at all. There are plenty of legitimate philosophical discussions that can take place but this isn't one of them. I wish people would stop justifying their opinions with "well Bush did it" or "well Clinton did it". A past wrong or right is just that...in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

152 posts, read 212,077 times
Default Role Model

Swimmer Phelps regrets pot pipe
Another Role model for our kids.
Now back to Obama's half-brother.
Anyone want to take odds, that Obama's half-brother will be an American citizen this time next year.
Simple: file for asylum for fear of prosecution.
Californication needs more illegal aliens and Princess Premium Pelosi has a few vacant mansions available in her district.
Beginning to think Ron Paul has some good ideas, except for his fear to face Iran.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
Genetic factors may play a role in the development of cocaine abuse. Recent studies suggest that black individuals have a genetic predisposition to developing cocaine abuse(79,81,83–85,144,209). It therefore is plausible that black crack users with FSGS have a genetic susceptibility to the development of this disease.
I'm pretty sure there's a difference between crack and cocaine but it would be helpful if you provide a link to the information you're instructing us all to read or are we supposed to rely on your expert opinion on this matter?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

There’s a difference between use and addiction.
I was a board member of a rehab for a few years, I know a bit about addiction.
You apparently don’t.
All you have to do is look up addiction, that would be a good start.
That was actually a joke and it was referencing Bush, whom I do believe is an alcoholic (you never stop being one) v. Obama, who seems to have dabbled.

Re-read the post.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM

145 posts, read 435,386 times
Very nice quote.

Now - can we get a link or the name of either the scientist or the author of that quote, please? Thanks.[/quote]

I googled it and the first thing it brought up was this post so methinks he made this up

Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
Very nice quote.

Now - can we get a link or the name of either the scientist or the author of that quote, please? Thanks.
Quote:
I googled it and the first thing it brought up was this post so methinks he made this up
*Results 1 - 10 of about 19,600 for news genetic predisposition cocaine. (0.21 seconds)*
Search Results
BBC NEWS | Health | Key differences in addicts brains
Mar 1, 2007 ... mobiles News services. Your news when you want it .... Cocaine users' brains ' different' 18 Nov 04 | Health. RELATED INTERNET LINKS ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6408923.stm
BBC NEWS | Health | 'Gene cause' of cocaine addiction
Mar 13, 2006 ... Analysis showed that cocaine was likely to inhibit the DAT response more markedly in people who carried the key genetic variant. ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4792618.stm - 34k
More results from news.bbc.co.uk*»
Gene May Be Predictor of Cocaine Addiction Risk
Nov 14, 2008 ... Researchers have discovered that cocaine addicts are 25 percent more likely to have a particular gene variant than ... Sign up for news & alerts. Already signed up? ... I always suspected a genetic predisposition. ...
http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...dictor-of.html - 44k
Society for Neuroscience | News Releases
Nov 5, 2007 ... Females appear to have a genetic predisposition toward reproducing the physiological reward produced by cocaine, suggesting sex chromosomes ...
www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=news_110507a - 48k
Study finds abnormalities in cerebral cortex of cocaine addicts ...
Oct 8, 2008 ... Cocaine addicts' brains predisposed to abuse: study ... Get the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! ... in your congeniality: Researchers identify genetic influence in social networks ...
http://esciencenews.com/articles/200...ocaine.addicts - 26k
Cocaine addicts' brains predisposed to abuse: study | Health | Reuters
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Cocaine addicts may have brain deficits that predispose ... Reuters top ten news stories delivered to your inbox each day. ... of the brain are important because they typically suggest a genetic cause, Breiter said. ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...497B9N20081008 - 56k
Drug Seeking Becomes Compulsive After Prolonged Cocaine Self ...
Aug 13, 2004 ... Science Magazine, Daily News, Science Signaling, SAGE KE .... in Monkey Models of Cocaine Abuse: Genetic Predisposition Versus Environmental ...
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../305/5686/1017
by LJMJ Vanderschuren - 2004 - Cited by 123 - Related articles - All 6 versions
LISTSERV 15.5 - PARKINSN Archives
Subject: NEWS - Brain Clues to Cocaine High ... chronic administration of cocaine as opposed to something related to genetic predisposition," Volkow says. ...
https://listserv.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/wa?A2= parkinsn;IuHDVg;19970722162743-0400d - 25k
Cornell News: Laser-pulse photolysis
One form of epilepsy and cocaine poisoning could be treated with new ... a small proportion with a genetic predisposition later develop epilepsy. ...
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases....Hess.hrs.html - 7k
Severe emphysema associated with cocaine smoking. | Goliath ...
Nov 1, 2007 ... Byline: Bobbak Vahid, MD and Paul E. Marik, MD Cocaine use is associated with a ... To view Goliath's company profiles, news and business information, .... asthma, genetic predisposition, autoimmune thyroid disease, ...
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...ma-associated- with-cocaine.html - 31k

I watched a documentary on this subject two or three months ago on PBS.
Scientists concluded, it is not just cocaine. It applies to every thing you eat, drink, smoke; in otherwords anything you put in your body alters you gene tags, and you pass that on to your kids.
Brings back the phrase, "You are what you eat."

Last edited by USS Enterprise CV-6; 02-01-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post

I watched a documentary on this subject two or three months ago on PBS.
Scientists concluded, it is not just cocaine. It applies to every thing you eat, drink, smoke; in otherwords anything you put in your body alters you gene tags, and you pass that on to your kids.
Brings back the phrase, "You are what you eat."
Unless I'm misunderstanding in order for this to be correct one of the Obama parents would have had to use drugs in order for him to be at risk, since I doubt his brother passed any gene tags along to him - do you have any evidence that says either parents used drugs?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
Years ago, my younger brother was arrested on drug charges. What in the world did that have to do with me? Same difference.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Sad but true. THE ONE's half brother, George, was arrested for drug possesion. I guess the apple didn't fall to far from the tree.

Obama's half brother arrested on charge of marijuana possession - CNN.com
so?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding in order for this to be correct one of the Obama parents would have had to use drugs in order for him to be at risk, since I doubt his brother passed any gene tags along to him - do you have any evidence that says either parents used drugs?
On page 4 of this same thread I had a link from USA Today were Obama admitted he used drugs. Therefore exposing his kids.
With this breakthrough in science makes you wonder how long it will be until kids start suiing their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections