Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Did I read this thread correctly?
You don't pay taxes, but you want a tax credit?
Since we are a 1 income household, any doof would welcome a tax credit on the income that is earned by the breadwinner .... doi doi doi doi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
No, you obviously didn't read this thread correctly.

She is married filing jointly and her husband pays the taxes. Her household gets a tax credit.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
No, you obviously didn't read this thread correctly.

She is married filing jointly and her husband pays the taxes. Her household gets a tax credit.
Isn't it funny how some people, especially women, jump all over those of us who chose to leave the workforce to raise our families, and actually have opinions on something that, although yes, I don't pay into the tax system, refuse to just sit there like a mousy little woman? I don't begrudge working mothers, was one for awhile ... I love living in a country where one can make choices, but obviously there are those who would rather belittle those choices, too bad.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Since we are a 1 income household, any doof would welcome a tax credit on the income that is earned by the breadwinner .... doi doi doi doi
But WHY should you be getting a tax credit when you(50% of the couple) produce no income?

An income tax credit should be based upon earning an income.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
I missed that part. Would you show us where she said she doesn't pay taxes? I thought she said that her hubby DOES work, and DOES pay taxes. Did I miss something, or are you making an assumption?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But WHY should you be getting a tax credit when you(50% of the couple) produce no income?

The household produces income.

Her household gets a tax credit based on the income and taxes paid by her household.

Her household could be generating more income and paying more taxes than a household with 2 earners.

Aren't you supposed to be championing "family values" and the "traditional family"?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Because when a couple is married, and only one works, they're still considered as "one unit" or taxpayer in the government eyes. It's the same principle behind filing jointly with your spouse to get a bigger refund.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I've been mucking through and trying to see if it's true that since I'm a stay at home mother, we will not be eligible for the $1000 tax break as part of the "stim" ... I'm reading that working couples will get this cut. To be honest, if hubby loses his job, we will need the tax cut more than working couples, as chances are, one of the couple will still be employed, drawing compensation.

DG is getting angry if this is true. Are there other cuts that will make up for the one that we won't be eligible?
I haven't seen the details - but read on the internet that the tax cut to the middle-class was cut in the Senate stimulus bill - so you may NOT be getting $1,000.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The household produces income.

Her household gets a tax credit based on the income and taxes paid by her household.

Her household could be generating more income and paying more taxes than a household with 2 earners.

Aren't you supposed to be championing "family values" and the "traditional family"?
I know the tax code states as much but why REALLY should a couple that has only one income be given twice as much as a single person.

Seems unfair don't you think?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I haven't seen the details - but read on the internet that the tax cut to the middle-class was cut in the Senate stimulus bill - so you may NOT be getting $1,000.
In fairness, how can we expect them to CUT TAXES when they are planning to spend almost a TRILLION dollars? Ridiculous. I guess they've decided that putting aside an additional $650million (above & beyond the hundreds of millions of dollars already allocated to that program) so they can give $40 coupons to people who can't affort the digital converter box is somehow an important issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections