Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times

Advertisements

Did you all read about the new Treasury plan to use private investors, backed by government loans, to help get the toxic assets off the bank balance sheets - and finally free up the financial markets - which have been frozen since Sept 2008???

This link has a good-writeup on the details of the plan: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/bu...ailout.html?hp

What a stroke of Genius!!!

This is the first good chance to really get the financial sector functioning normally again - which is absolutely necessary if the economy is to recover.

Did you see the market reaction today???

If you have money sitting on the side-line, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get into the market and win big!!!

Go Obama!!!

Last edited by mrbob; 03-23-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Well, I've been pointing out for a couple a weeks now that there are some indications that we MAY have the reached the bottom (at least in regards to several indicators). The market has been on a generally upward trend (the first time the DOW has been up for 2 weeks in a row since May of last year (I believe)) and retail sales have been picking up a bit - at least in some sectors (and for others, while still down, the dropping seems to be slowing).

The market does seem to be reacting pretty favorably to Geithner's plan - and the fact that homes sales are showing an unexpected uptick seems also to be piling a bit more good news to the growing list of positive indicators.

To be sure, there are still lots of "down" indicators, but the fact is, not all the indicators will reverse course at once. Some will lead, others will follow. It looks like the "leaders" are starting to point upward instead of downward. We have a long climb to be sure, but it looks like MAYBE the tide has turned.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-23-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I like this plan a bit more than many of the Obama Administration's economic policies so far. Hopefully this is actually allowed to act as a private auction and does not result in artificial price inflation or price fixing. I agree toxic assets are an incredible opportunity for private investors, and I am glad to see the government finally pushing the private sector to solve this problem. Markets are cyclical, and regardless of what the government has done so far (last year and this year) the housing market is following a pretty natural progression.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
It's no different than Paulson's program of 6 months ago. I love how there was no live coverage of the "unveiling." Love that transparency!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Many economists predicted this market turn around and a semi-recovery of the housing market by spring of '10. This time last year.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
Well, MrBob, since you brought up the NYT...you might want to peruse the paper a bit more. Say, the editorial page.
The always supportive, unabashed liberal Paul Krugman has done the unthinkable (gasp!)...and soundly criticized this recycled toxic asset plan.

As far as no live coverage of the "unveiling"..after Geithner's disastrous stage debut in Feb, I suspect he'll be kept out of the spotlight as much as possible.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Krugman, former Obama cheerleader, is not a fan:

"Tim Geithner, the Treasury secretary, has persuaded President Obama to recycle Bush administration policy — specifically, the “cash for trash” plan proposed, then abandoned, six months ago by then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
This is more than disappointing. In fact, it fills me with a sense of despair."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/op...=2&ref=opinion

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Krugman, former Obama cheerleader, is not a fan:

"Tim Geithner, the Treasury secretary, has persuaded President Obama to recycle Bush administration policy — specifically, the “cash for trash” plan proposed, then abandoned, six months ago by then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
This is more than disappointing. In fact, it fills me with a sense of despair."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/op...=2&ref=opinion

Krugman has never been what you refer to as an "Obama cheerleader"..he supported Hillary in the primaries and has criticized Obama in the past. Nevertheless, I greatly respect him and the fact that he doesn't support this plan is reason for unease.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Krugman has never been what you refer to as an "Obama cheerleader"..he supported Hillary in the primaries and has criticized Obama in the past.
Krugman supported Hillary until she lost in the primaries. He then became an Obama man (2:25 in the video):
Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman says Obama's economic plans make sense and McCain's economic plans are just more of the same old Bush policies that got us in this mess. Video-

Quote:
Nevertheless, I greatly respect him and the fact that he doesn't support this plan is reason for unease.
Exactly.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It's no different than Paulson's program of 6 months ago. I love how there was no live coverage of the "unveiling." Love that transparency!
This is entirely different from Paulson's program...

He never bought any bad loans from banks - even though he said that to Congress to get TARP approved - then he went back on his word..

He only injected capital in the banks directly...

Your statement is very factually incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections