Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 05:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is true that obsolescence is a byproduct of innovation and a fact of life and those of us still into physical media have seen plenty of it as music went from vinyl to 8-track tape, to audio cassette to CD. Analog music was great in the respect that once you owned it you could play it anywhere: home, car or portable player without restriction. The problem with the latest innovation to electronic file/streaming is that code can be inserted into the content that can restrict how and where it can be played. The corporate sellers are now interfering with fair use by dictating that the content can only be played on certain devices or with specific apps. This is dangerous ground since many people are oblivious to the threat and accept the restrictions imposed upon them.
That's all true, if you're strictly streaming. If you do buy or already own this is less pertinent, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I only used CDs in the vehicle when I took long road trips. I had a handful of CDs on which I liked more than half the songs and I rotated those as I drove. I haven't been on a long road trip in several years. I took a lot of them back in the 1990s and 2000s. For shorter trips I just alternate between my terrestrial radio presets. I have two vehicles and one has a CD player but I have never actually used it. I have only had that vehicle since 2018.
Well that's a personal preference based on your limited travel. I'm hardly a tech cheerleader, but I do like when I have more options to listen to different kinds of music (and podcasts, and books, etc.) with minimal hassle.

We all have our sweet spots of what technology we're comfortable with, but the auto industry just can't support every legacy tech out there.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts