Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever go to a movie theater in Thailand? They can be a whole lot nicer than they are in the United States. There are two or three different types of seats, and some theaters or even set up with beds or La-Z-Boy type chairs. It's really something to see . Look it up. Anyway, during the day over there, not too many people go to the movies but you can still choose your type of seating and it doesn't cost much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:09 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I recently saw "The Martian", and unless things change, I think this is the last movie I will ever see in a movie theater. The whole experience was ruined by clueless people talking and also the lights from a few in the audience using their smartphones during the performance. What the heck is wrong with people these days.
I swear if a theater offered a way to make sure this did not happen, I would pay $20 extra just so I could enjoy the movie. The heck with 3D! Just make it so that I can lose myself in the movie like the old days.
Cinemark has Luxury Lounger auditoriums in select markets. A few (non-3D) are at the Century 16 in Mountain View, CA, just a stone's throw from Google. (Andy Weir lives in Mountain View, BTW.)

I went to see "The Martian" there mid-day. The luxury recliners are really nice and they're not all jammed together. You flip the footrest up and tilt the seat back. Ahhh.

Everyone was quiet and respectful, except for the funny parts. No one talked over the movie, no cellphones rang.

I liked it so much I took my husband back that weekend. And it was only about $9 a seat.

I believe that had someone been stupidly using their phone I could have gone to customer service and had them deal with it.

But thanks to Cinemark, I'm going to start going to movies again.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23
What the heck is wrong with people these days.
They are mindless zombies which is why I want nothing to do with ppl today!! (I stay home 99% of the time)

Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yeah, watching a good movie in a theater...without nincompoops pulling stupid stunts is rare. I usually watch movies at home, rent from Redbox.

Actually, my biggest gripe with movies is the stupid practice of BLASTING the volume during action scenes or when music is played.....but dialogue is too low and sounds like mumbling.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We visited a theater recently. I am never comfortable inside a theater. Usually I am too cold--really too cold. And lately the seats in theater seem less comfortable than they use to be. The talkers! We usually go to matinees and old people--like us!--are there too. They talk and talk. They finally shut after the movie started, but even then there was some talking. I think they are hard of hearing and they think they are whispering. Mostly though they were quiet during the movie. But all through the trailers and the opening credits, talk, talk, talk. Doesn't anyone who is not looking at a phone ever just be quiet any more?

We went to a different church recently. The old people in the back--talk, talk talk. They think they are whispering. So distracting.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
We have a small chain called Cinetopia. Two here in town, one in OR and one in CO. Anyhow, they are a higher end theatre. The one at the mall has a restaurant and one of the theatres has a balcony where you can eat and have a beer or two. No kids, people pay extra to be there and act like adults. There are other goodies about that theatre too, it's worth the extra money. It puts the local Regal theatres to shame.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 11,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I recently saw "The Martian", and unless things change, I think this is the last movie I will ever see in a movie theater. The whole experience was ruined by clueless people talking and also the lights from a few in the audience using their smartphones during the performance. What the heck is wrong with people these days.
I swear if a theater offered a way to make sure this did not happen, I would pay $20 extra just so I could enjoy the movie. The heck with 3D! Just make it so that I can lose myself in the movie like the old days.
Go to smaller community theaters that play indie films, join a film society, that kind of thing. Better films, more mature people in attendance.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I just went to see Star Wars at 6PM on Tuesday and a guy literally brought his 3 year old daughter. If your kid can't sit through a cartoon, you have no business bringing her to Star Wars. She talked through the whole thing and kicked my chair the whole time. I had to look back at the dude a couple of times to be like, "Really?!?!?!?!" I would have paid extra to avoid that, I think. Part of it ought to be knowing what a kid at that age can sit through and also enjoy... Star Wars ain't it.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:55 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Ya that doesnt sound very good!!!! -- Im surprised with how ppl are now MORE DIDNT SAY ANYTHING!!! -- Sounds like you held back quite alot!

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
There are some real nice ones here in the Portland area. Nice 21+ balcony section. Wide seats, foot stools, waiters with full meal and alcohol service. Also offer a true living room experience set of rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts