Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the movie/TV show ideas you have in your head are better than the movies/TV shows that
Yes 14 77.78%
No 4 22.22%
Other 0 0%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The other day I made a post about MST3K, wondering what the appeal of it was. It's not something that I would watch but the show is (or was) a HIT.
I don't think it was a hit, at least not IMO. It certainly had a cult following, but not a hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 07:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think it was a hit, at least not IMO. It certainly had a cult following, but not a hit.
Well, part of my post for that thread was that now, someone is selling MST3K glasses to go with this pandemic.

HOWEVER, hit? cult? Either way, people certainly know what one is talking about when they say MST3K.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I only think my movie ideas would be better than everything out there is if I smoked a fat joint while watching one.

Lol I've never been a fan of pot , in fact I've never even properly smoked a joint my whole entire life , but I am somewhat partial to drinking rum whilst doing sedentary activities ...

That said I generally only imbibe while reading books , as opposed to watching flicks , especially considering the fact that I've very rarely managed to get through any American flicks as far back as I can remember .

FWIW I also don't recall ever having gotten drunk outside of the context of attending a party in the past ten years , but that's neither here nor there .

Last edited by Lionel Fauquier; 10-30-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
No, I get what you mean. Many "original" tv shows start out great. The story line is chugging along fine.
Then after a couple seasons (if their lucky), the writers hit a brick wall. The new shows go all over the place, and fubar the show.

Two shows I can think of are Blindspot & Mike & Molly*. Both shows had a decent story lines at first.
In the case of Blindspot the writers decided to turn the whole show inside out. Many people just gave up on the show altogether. While Mike & Molly had a star that got a swelled head. When she made a few movies, she got the writers to tweak the show to focus on her more. Which all but buried the show.
But fortunately it manage to finish out a final season.
A thing I really dislike with respect to a lot of ( admittedly American in general ) films/TV shows I've tried watching is the tendency of so many of them to get wrapped up in needless emotional character development/soul searching ...

Especially in the case of TV shows concerning subjects ( like f.ex organized crime ) where such stuff shouldn't apply , we get episode after episode of a mobster pouring out his soul to a psychologist ( a la the Sopranos ) or a conceivably " cool kid who wouldn't act like that " meth cook whining his way through episode after episode after the death of his girlfriend ( a la Breaking Bad ) ...

We get none of that on the ( now that I remember it's title ) absolute masterpiece of a gangster show called Gomorrah , which is ( I think not so coincidentally ) an Italian production and is also literally the only TV show I've watched all currently existing episodes of ...

Of course maybe I'm speaking from a position of bias/unfamiliarity , but ( IMHO ) us Yanks could tear a page or two from the Italian way of doing things with respect to supposedly edgy cinematic productions and yeah I ( at the risk of sounding arrogant ) honestly think that I could give David Chase and ( especially ) Vince Gilligan a serious run for their money if I was to create a TV show about criminals ...

In fact I seriously doubt any Hollywood director could create a convincing TV show about backwater hicks and/or white trash bikers engaged in underworld activity the way that a born and bred Delmarva swampneck like myself could , but methinks I'm getting ahead of myself .

Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
This makes even less sense with that elaboration.

Oh well, at least you'll never be bored just sitting in your own thoughts.

I mean I'm not sure if I can explain myself any better , but do you care to elaborate why my elaboration didn't make any sense to you ?

Because maybe I'll be able to drum up a better one next time around .

Old 10-30-2020, 09:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I mean I'm not sure if I can explain myself any better ,
I'm certain you can't.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I'm certain you can't.
Well then help me out a bit with jotting down what it is that doesn't make sense to you and I'm sure I'll be able to come up with an explanation .

Of course that's only if you wish .

P.S. FWIW the root of the matter probably boils down to a case of personal taste/aesthetics .

Old 10-30-2020, 09:56 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Of course my ideas sound better to me. But will they appeal to enough other people to create a hit TV show? Based on what's popular, I don't think so.

Most movies are made to appeal to 14 year old boys.
In Alan Alda's movie Sweet Liberty, a character explains what movies need to be a hit: defy authority, destroy property, and take people’s clothes off.

Years ago, I noticed a pattern with TV shows: the show is engaging for a couple of years, with relatable characters and interesting plots. Then the plots get thinner and start to resemble past episodes. The characters are becoming caricatures. Then there's a wedding...a baby...somebody jumps the shark, and the show is no longer worth watching.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:40 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Well then help me out a bit with jotting down what it is that doesn't make sense to you and I'm sure I'll be able to come up with an explanation .

Of course that's only if you wish .

P.S. FWIW the root of the matter probably boils down to a case of personal taste/aesthetics .
You're barely 30. Not much experience.

By your own admission you don't watch a lot of tv and just some movies. Not much data to go on.

You mentioned a couple of shows you don't like. OK, nobody likes everything.

You say your ideas are better but not likely to be cinematic masterpieces. Not clear what that means except you like thinking about your own ideas?

Put it on the screen and let the world decide? Or not...it's cool to just have your own tastes and be happy...just doesn't mean you're right about other stuff being inferior.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:46 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
I used to work for a large media company. Wed get random people emailing us pitches for what they think we should do next all the time. We sent them a response saying that by emailing us their idea, they are forfeiting any copyright to whatever they suggest to us in an unsolicited manner. If the idea sounded good we took it and forwarded it to management. Id say that happened once or twice. Most of the ideas were clearly the work of madmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts