Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 AM

378 posts, read 626,368 times

Advertisements

Why is it that America demands such a high standard of beauty on women? Most times, a woman shown in her absolute perfection is white, blonde haired, etc.

I can also post pictures of women, and no matter how obvious it is they look good, people always chime in with how she is ugly, etc. I bet they would not do that if she was blonde.

What do you think of American standards of beauty? Has it increased or decreased? And is it just me, or are beauty pageants becoming fairer toward women of color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I would look to the fashion magazine rack for your answers...over the last 40 years, I believe that the standards have changed drastically. In 1968, the pale WASP standard would indeed have dominated the newstand....not so anymore. There is a much larger presence of dark, Latin and black models, thanks to trailblazers like Iman, Barbara Johnson, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Gia Carangi and Naomi Campbell.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Why is it that America demands such a high standard of beauty on women? Most times, a woman shown in her absolute perfection is white, blonde haired, etc.

I can also post pictures of women, and no matter how obvious it is they look good, people always chime in with how she is ugly, etc. I bet they would not do that if she was blonde.

What do you think of American standards of beauty? Has it increased or decreased? And is it just me, or are beauty pageants becoming fairer toward women of color?
the people that dictate 'beauty' have always been men that tell society what women should look like according to their own personal standards. That has changed in more recent years, and there are women more leading the way of what is defined as beauty. it's still not totally unbiased, and far from perfect, but it's not like it was many years ago.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I think the tall skinny blond thing may be more of a media choice through the years than a social choice. Maybe the media or advertisers thought this look more represented American and used the image to hock off their products. This image has greatly changed and diversified through the years...so we see the reflection of that change in all areas of beauty and fashion.

And to add to your thought, it was VERY healthy for this change to come about and I thank the women of color for it. They proved that diversity is more interesting and individual. All women benefited from this change because not everyone is a blond Barbie doll wearing a size 2 with no boobs.

I am now 50, but as a tall blond being a teenager in the 70's, I think I stayed hungry for an entire decade because of the fear of gaining weight. It was ridiculous and I only got that idea due to the media's portrayal of the supposed perfect look. I'm glad young women are slowly being freed of all that crap.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,453 times
That's because MOST men are ignorant LOL

They rip on women for not looking like a magazine pic but they themselves look like Shrek.

They rip on women for "having" to go on to online dating sites but I have seen MANY men looking for foreign brides/mail order LOL

I look average. I could care less what the media tells me I SHOULD look like. My husband and my family like the way I look, fat and all LOL

Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
That's because MOST men are ignorant LOL

They rip on women for not looking like a magazine pic but they themselves look like Shrek.

They rip on women for "having" to go on to online dating sites but I have seen MANY men looking for foreign brides/mail order LOL

I look average. I could care less what the media tells me I SHOULD look like. My husband and my family like the way I look, fat and all LOL
that is all that really matters who gives a rip about what society thinks. Society is stupid IMO (in general, not everyone obviously)

Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
America is one of the most boring countries when it comes to it's standards of beauty. I mean don't get me wrong some beauty does come with blonde hair, but it also comes in brunettes, blacks, dark browns. It's not just thin, it's thick, it's fat. It's not just pale skinned, it's brown skinned, it's black....This country is the only country that has such a variety of beauty yet it continues to try to convince the rest of the world that there is only one kind!

Dumbass American's.....LOL

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
I don't think there has been a blonde Miss USA in 20 years.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
Yeah blonde hair blue eyes were big in the past i.e. cheryl tiegs (however spelled), Christie Brinkley (who I think is still soooooo beautiful) but that was due to MAIN stream America, the core consumers. As more and more races inhabit America that is what is targeted the shoppers, consumers.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the standards for beauty are the same world over.
bear in mind 1 in 3 americans are obese there is a revolt underway against paris fashion right now and rosie o'donnell is leading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts