Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times

Advertisements

Needless to say it's a question that will never have a commonly agreed on answer to say the least...in fact what "best entertainer" even means can be debated (although IMO it's not so mysterious)......BUT.......

IMO this comes down to:

Sammy Davis Jr
Dean Martin
Judy Garland

...I might be missing a few but I can't think who it'd be.

To me basically this means people who were great and beloved over a long time and in numerous ways. eg Sammy Davis wasn't just one of the best dancers (mostly tap) ever, but could sing so well too.....and also many don't realize he had a fantastic comedic ability, could play the drums, and could even do some impressive impersonations of famous celebs.

Dean wasn't far behind versatility-wise. Didn't play any instruments but a great singer, competent actor, extremely underrated as a genuinely "funny guy" and like SD simply had a charm about him that made him irrepressible (his variety show rode on this and was simply classic stuff). These 2 don't IMO seem to get enough credit for making the "Rat Pack," - both more so than Frank Sinatra.

Judy Garland was mostly a singer and somewhat an actor - but had such an "irresistable force" thing about her with that booming voice and ability to grab the heartstrings of an audience like few before or since that she easily is on the short list.

Some others of mention might include Frank Sinatra but I think he's a notch below - he was almost entirely a singer when you get right down to it (granted one of the best) and could be such a horse's ass to boot.

PS and oh btw: Michael Jackson? Not....wrote some great pop tunes, had a few great dance moves, the end. Was so odd and even creepy and reclusive - hardly qualities of a greatest-ever entertainer. Not ripping on the guy, his death is very sad, but it's the truth.

Elvis? Not. Great singer, but that's about "it" (not that it's not significant) when you get down to it.

I'd like to give Harry Connick consideration, but he was simply born way too late ie doesn't appeal to a wide enough audience in this day and age, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
Elvis is still King. He was a great singer and entertainer. Could have been a great actor but was typecast, not given the opportunity for serious roles. All others pale.

Michael Jackson had great raw talent, but things went so terribly wrong with his life, tragic.

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis so good together, both great entertainers. Never got the big interest in Davis or Sinatra.

Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett very funny comediennes.

Loved Bob Hope!! An all-time great.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
My all time favorite entertainers.
The Statler Brothers
Roger Whittaker

GL2

Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Bette Midler is my favorite. Singer, actress, dancer, comedienne - but oh, the singing!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM

251 posts, read 767,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Needless to say it's a question that will never have a commonly agreed on answer to say the least...in fact what "best entertainer" even means can be debated (although IMO it's not so mysterious)......BUT.......

IMO this comes down to:

Sammy Davis Jr
Dean Martin
Judy Garland

...I might be missing a few but I can't think who it'd be.

To me basically this means people who were great and beloved over a long time and in numerous ways. eg Sammy Davis wasn't just one of the best dancers (mostly tap) ever, but could sing so well too.....and also many don't realize he had a fantastic comedic ability, could play the drums, and could even do some impressive impersonations of famous celebs.

Dean wasn't far behind versatility-wise. Didn't play any instruments but a great singer, competent actor, extremely underrated as a genuinely "funny guy" and like SD simply had a charm about him that made him irrepressible (his variety show rode on this and was simply classic stuff). These 2 don't IMO seem to get enough credit for making the "Rat Pack," - both more so than Frank Sinatra.

Judy Garland was mostly a singer and somewhat an actor - but had such an "irresistable force" thing about her with that booming voice and ability to grab the heartstrings of an audience like few before or since that she easily is on the short list.

Some others of mention might include Frank Sinatra but I think he's a notch below - he was almost entirely a singer when you get right down to it (granted one of the best) and could be such a horse's ass to boot.

PS and oh btw: Michael Jackson? Not....wrote some great pop tunes, had a few great dance moves, the end. Was so odd and even creepy and reclusive - hardly qualities of a greatest-ever entertainer. Not ripping on the guy, his death is very sad, but it's the truth.

Elvis? Not. Great singer, but that's about "it" (not that it's not significant) when you get down to it.

I'd like to give Harry Connick consideration, but he was simply born way too late ie doesn't appeal to a wide enough audience in this day and age, to say the least.
good ones. i agree on all of them.

in regards to today, i would say wayne brady, bette midler, and danny gans (RIP).

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Dean Martin easily.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Elvis, Sammy Davis, and Sinatra are the three that stand out to me as the best overall, all around talented entertainers. Sinatra is one of the few entertainers that have won an Oscar, Grammy, and Emmy.

Rita Moreno won all four of the big ones...Oscar, Emmy, Grammy and Tony along with about 9 other entertainers.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM

20 posts, read 60,012 times
Elvis Rules! But I'm a fan of Michael Jackson too!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
Bill Cosby

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Bob Hope, enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts