Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how many people out there on this forum, are into the Arts, and other cultural pursuits?
For example I love going to the theatre and my partner and I probably go about twice a month sometimes more. I always find live theatre far more engaging and involving than going to the movies ( though I love the movies) and would find life without it somehow lacking. We also go to art galleries, the opera and lots of live gigs ( Jazz, country, Celtic, etc.. ) and love visiting historical homes and really appreciate fine architecture. We attend lots of lectures on various subjects too. We are lucky that living in Oxford there is always tons of things to see and do and a lot of it very affordable due to the student population.
Do you get out and about a lot and do you enjoy this type of thing ? What kind of stuff do you all like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
I have not been to live theater since right before we moved here, 17 months ago.
I hope to remedy that in any way I can after we move.
I enjoy live theater quite a bit, but even when we lived in a large city, did not see it constantly, just every now and then.
Spouse and I too enjoy architecture and historical homes.
Another thing I enjoy, from a historical standpoint, is old, old cemeteries. There is a lot of history to be found there. The UK is filled with ancient and very fascinating cemeteries.
I've been to occasional readings at author events.
I also enjoy live music of all sorts, classical to alternative. I listen to music every day, and every evening.
Also, I do enjoy a fine meal at a restaurant accompanied by tasty vino.
I suppose I am a dilettante; I tend to dabble rather than concentrate on any one thing.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
I'm more of a homebody but when I do go out, I'd rather do cultural stuff like go to a museum or something than hang out at a bar.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,469 times
I enjoy author readings. We also have an annual festival called Gumtree which has crafts from local artists. It really is amazing how talanted our area is.

I too have become more of a homebody. My outings lately have been for my children.

One thing I have been to the coast a couple times this month and am heading back again next month. Biloxi had some beautiful old homes and the area was so rich in history. Katrina of course destroyed most of this and I have been trekking around finding what little is left.

I love to go to museums and wish we had more nearby.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
I do some reading and listening to a wide variety of music virtually every day. Being a 20 minute train ride from Manhattan makes some great museums easily accessible too.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,379 times
I love the theatre, we have Bob Carr center for performing arts here in Orlando...they have some VERY nice shows. I was raised on Classical and miss the concerts. When I was living near Fort Worth we had a wonderful museum there that had a number of great shows come through as well as their regular selection of artwork.

As a child I lived near Boston and spent many an evening with The Boston Pops or at Tanglewood. I love to hear Pavorotti sing live...even more so to be able to go to Italy and see him perform in his own country.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
I like museums, particularly history. I watch quite a few movies, and I especially like the classics, from the Golden Age of Hollywood, as they say. I like driving through old neighborhoods, and looking at all the old historical houses. I enjoy strolling through old cemeteries, reading the epitaphs, and seeing the old-style headstones. I listen to all kinds of music, (except for rap). I read constantly; history, philosphy, religion/spirituality, sometimes popular stuff, etc. I do a little writing, nothing fancy, just for my own amusement.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,785 times
My husband and I love it all: music, concerts, theater, opera, art, museums of all kinds, good books, good movies, fine dining. One of the reasons we love to travel is because we get to go to different museums in other cities (Paris is our favorite place because of all the incredible museums and the amazing food). We also enjoy sports - going to basketball, baseball and hockey games. All of these things are what makes a life happy, at least for us.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
I like to dance.

Okay, okay, I like to do other things too. I enjoy live theater, the symphony, museums, travel, wine tastings and philanthropic endeavors.

I haven't done many of these things, except dance, since I've been in Texas, but once I get backhome to CA I will get to partake of all those wonderful things once again.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
It's lovely to see such a wide range of interests. I sometimes feel lonely in my desire for culture as a lot of people just seem to want to do nothing but sit in front of the TV. A lot of people I know seem to think that going to the theatre or museums is a "snobby" thing to do and it really bothers me. I can see that people might not be able to afford it but do not understand that they have no interest in those things. I know, I know, different things for different people, but I do feel we are getting less and less cultured.
Being interested in humanity's achievement and the beauty it has created over the last few millenia strikes me as a fairly important part of being a human being.
Are your areas fairly well provided with things like theatres and concert venues from example ? The theatre in London is very expensive but I was quite shocked at some of the prices in US places I have been to for things like plays ( I remember a little barn in New Lebanon, NY where we saw a Neil Simon play and it cost us over $40 each which to us was a lot for a small place in the middle of nowehere- our local players for example charge about $8 a head!!). I assume that these things are not subsidized by the government as they are in Europe ?
I always love visiting new museums, etc.... when abroad and our first port of call is always the tourist information for what is on ( concerts, plays etc..).
Do you have any favourite playwrights, composers etc.. ?
I am a great fan of Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward,Chekov, Rattigan etc... but my very favourite is Arthur Miller. I think his plays are timeless and always touch on very profound issues we can all relate to.
I saw a magnificent production of "The Crucible" last year at the RSC and it was absolutely magic. I can't imagine a deeper , more intelligent play ever being written. Live theatre of this quality should be available to all as I cannot help but feel it is of great benefit to our society to encourage people to think .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts