Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 6,711 times

Advertisements

Ok it has been almost a month since I have posted on this board. Update....Raiders are coming to Vegas! I'm DONE!! What does this mean? More people, rise of property values more traffic, yuck. Construction on the major freeways have made surface streets so congested that it is constant stop and go. Not to mention all the brainless drivers around here, couple weeks ago almost was hit twice in 2 miles on my commute to work, I swear I am not a crazy driver I must look like I have a bulls eye on my car. I know everyone there has to drive in the rain but here there is hardly any rain and they still don't know how to drive. OH yes and the population is supposed to reach the 3 million mark by years end. The crime rate here in the valley is getting really bad, random shootings and robberies, not just in the bad parts of town here either. The car accidents are rampant all over due to people texting and driving and not paying attention (its against the law to text and drive here). But the up side is Metro PD is hiring!! So far this spring has been a rather cool, no scorching temps yet but I am sure one day that will change in literally one day. So note to those coming to vegas this summer will not be a 9 month scorcher.
Note to all who are warning me of small town living.....Hubby and I are both come from small towns other than Vegas, we just want to go back to smalltown living that is not stressfull and constant rush rush rush. And having to take Vitamin D suppliments all winter I can accept if I know I won't have to go shopping late at night so as to avoid sunburns during the day and only walking the dog early morning before the sun rises and in the evening when the sun goes down. Summer colds....already get them during the summer here and the crazy off the chart pollen levels here I'm sure can handle there. Jobs...hubby already has a job when we get up there, did the phone interview, drug test, background check. I will work anywhere not picky.

Last edited by nvn8v73; 04-13-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn8v73 View Post
Ok it has been almost a month since I have posted on this board. Update....Raiders are coming to Vegas! I'm DONE!! What does this mean? More people, rise of property values more traffic, yuck. Construction on the major freeways have made surface streets so congested that it is constant stop and go. Not to mention all the brainless drivers around here, couple weeks ago almost was hit twice in 2 miles on my commute to work, I swear I am not a crazy driver I must look like I have a bulls eye on my car. I know everyone there has to drive in the rain but here there is hardly any rain and they still don't know how to drive. OH yes and the population is supposed to reach the 3 million mark by years end. The crime rate here in the valley is getting really bad, random shootings and robberies, not just in the bad parts of town here either. The car accidents are rampant all over due to people texting and driving and not paying attention (its against the law to text and drive here). But the up side is Metro PD is hiring!! So far this spring has been a rather cool, no scorching temps yet but I am sure one day that will change in literally one day. So note to those coming to vegas this summer will not be a 9 month scorcher.
Note to all who are warning me of small town living.....Hubby and I are both come from small towns other than Vegas, we just want to go back to smalltown living that is not stressfull and constant rush rush rush. And having to take Vitamin D suppliments all winter I can accept if I know I won't have to go shopping late at night so as to avoid sunburns during the day and only walking the dog early morning before the sun rises and in the evening when the sun goes down. Summer colds....already get them during the summer here and the crazy off the chart pollen levels here I'm sure can handle there. Jobs...hubby already has a job when we get up there, did the phone interview, drug test, background check. I will work anywhere not picky.

well, since the entire state of Oregon is less than 4 million people (just alittle bit more than your metro area) its pretty safe to say almost any town here will feel smaller, lol!

Good luck with your move OP (from one transplant to another!)...

Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 PM

497 posts, read 484,715 times
I may have missed it, but what city did your husband get a job in?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I may have missed it, but what city did your husband get a job in?
The OP's posts seem to be lacking details on that. Hopefully they know what they are doing.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 6,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Nobody has ever called Eugene small and quiet.

Yes, there is easy access to hiking, camping and fishing. Also, not a bad drive to the coast.

Eugene is not as hot as Las Vegas, but it does get hot in the summer and it rains all winter.

Living wage jobs can be hard to come by, so best to have employment secured before moving.
I was reading on another thread that someone they knew moved to Eugene but couldn't get a place to live because they needed to be there in town 3 months and have employment for the duration of those months?? Is this true?? Cause if so we're ****ed!! I like how people don't give out info they are just kinda hush hush and aren't really helpful.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 PM

248 posts, read 452,160 times
Who has been hush hush? Almost every reply has warned you about the employment market. If you are employed and have the money for the deposit, first and last and have references you should be able to find something to rent. The employment market here is challenging. The housing market here is tight. Houses are selling before they are formally listed. Rentals are competitively sought. You are not that far away. You should drive up and really look around. Talk to people. There is a hostel in the Whitaker area maybe you could stay there for a while.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Show up with $4k in cash, which should cover first, last, deposit, your second month's rent and getting utilities started, which will also require a deposit. After 2 months you better have jobs, or you will start going in the hole fast. If you have the money, target the first of June for the move. College students will be going home for the summer and rentals will open up some. Stay away from west 13th, which is where all the druggies and hookers hang out.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
I've herd people from the east coast say Portland is a big town. To me Portland is a sprawling city. Eugene is a little better.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn8v73 View Post
I was reading on another thread that someone they knew moved to Eugene but couldn't get a place to live because they needed to be there in town 3 months and have employment for the duration of those months?? Is this true?? Cause if so we're ****ed!! I like how people don't give out info they are just kinda hush hush and aren't really helpful.
That can't be true. I manage an apartment building in San Francisco. We use National Tenants' Network to get info on applicants. They base their report on rental information & how you have been as a tenant. How long you have resided in a particular city isn't one of their determining factors.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
I've herd people from the east coast say Portland is a big town. To me Portland is a sprawling city. Eugene is a little better.
Haha! They just herd them into one town or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area