Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-60's and are looking to move to the Eugene area. We would like to find a well-kept mobile home park - either in Eugene or Springfield. Does anyone have any input that would help us? Public transportation would be a big plus. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieg1972 View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-60's and are looking to move to the Eugene area. We would like to find a well-kept mobile home park - either in Eugene or Springfield. Does anyone have any input that would help us? Public transportation would be a big plus. Thank you.

The public bus service here is among the best in the country and if you're 65, you get a free pass. But it's risky going into a mobile home park, because rates are always increasing and if the property is sold for development, you're out of luck. If your mobile home is more than just a few years old, most other parks won't allow you to move yours there and it will be have to be junked, unless you could find a private lot for it.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:11 AM

54 posts, read 58,086 times
I came up here 3 years ago and looked at both mobile home parks for over 55 as well as small houses. After realizing that I still would need to do home repairs and pay for gardening in a MH park, I decided on buying a small home in Springfield.

Yes, I do have property tax but after weighing the pros and cons of a mobile home vs a house I felt this was the best choice. My house has gone up in value and I like the neighborhood. Homes in Springfield has lower utility costs as well as slightly less property taxes. I'm glad I bought here.

There is a cute mobile home park in the Thurston area of Springfield named Golden Oaks that is selling brand new mobiles for around $120,000. And Summeroaks is a nice park in Eugene.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Are you looking for an existing older mobile home for sale in an existing park?

Or are you looking for an empty lot in a mobile home park where you can bring in your own new mobile home?

Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie55 View Post
I came up here 3 years ago and looked at both mobile home parks for over 55 as well as small houses. After realizing that I still would need to do home repairs and pay for gardening in a MH park, I decided on buying a small home in Springfield.
You made a very smart decision, I think, Dottie! Homes are increasing in value like crazy in the area and as people get priced out of Eugene they are looking to Springfield. Several people at my office just bought homes in Springfield. They seem very happy with their choice. So many cute businesses and places to eat popping up in Springfield. Personally I like the politics in Springfield better, too. My husband and I are thinking of selling our home in Eugene and buying in Springfield to reduce our cost of living. We bought our home in Eugene a little over 5 years ago for the low 200K's and we just had it appraised for $278. It's really insane. Our property taxes keep going up and up though. And now they are trying to pass the payroll tax - or did it pass already? We might be looking for jobs in Springfield, too! lol I'm not against supporting the police, fire, etc. But we resent more of our tax dollars going to enable the growing homeless problem. We also get frustrated with how Eugene seems to make things more challenging for people to do business here. We need to be more inviting and supportive of business - not make it more $$ for them to operate here.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
There's a cute and shady (as in, there are nice trees that offer shade... not shady like creepy lol) little mobile home place for 55+ in the north of Eugene off of Green Acres Rd. called Falcon Wood Village. It looks like a sweet little place and that is a nice part of town. Walking distance from just about everything you'd need - grocery store, bank, post office, Walmart, Starbuck's, taco shop. What else is there in life? Oh and yes the bus picks up right there on Green Acres, too.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 AM

54 posts, read 58,086 times
Yes, I agree with your observations, haggardhouseelf. Springfield is a safe and improving community with a revitalized downtown. I see very few homeless or panhandling here. The government is a bit more conservative than Eugene which I prefer. You can still find nice homes for less than Eugene prices too (as well as lower prop taxes and utilities).

Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,668 times
Hello everyone - been away for a bit - thanks for all the info�� We're looking more for an existing mobile home, which is what we are currently living in here in Florida. We're still not too sure about how cold it would get there, but it is getting way too hot for us here.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:13 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Hello everyone - been away for a bit - thanks for all the info�� We're looking more for an existing mobile home, which is what we are currently living in here in Florida. We're still not too sure about how cold it would get there, but it is getting way too hot for us here.
Oh can I sympathize with you. I'm in Lakeland between Tampa and Orlando. My Mobile Home is older and the AC cannot keep up with the heat. As you know this heat is even worse than most summers. Florida doesn't usually hover around 100, like this season. I'm kind of sorry I ever left Oregon for retirement in Florida. I've been here 4 years, and want to leave. Absolutely difficult to get a fair price, trying to sell Mobiles in this region of Fla. I tried last year and became so frustrated with the type people looking I gave up.

Oregon weather would take some getting use to.
You probably would feel cold until you acclimate yourself. Still I think its a better place to live vs Florida.

As other posters mentioned. If your looking in the Eugene area, then look in Springfield. Eugene has its benefits, but not at the rising cost of housing.

Stay cool. I hope your a.c. is keeping up with this extreme heat and no rain. I see the AC repair trucks all over town this week.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Oregon weather would take some getting use to.
You probably would feel cold until you acclimate yourself. Still I think its a better place to live vs Florida.
I'm from Texas. I still struggle with the cold long Oregon winters here even though I've been here quite a while now. But I wouldn't want to go back to Texas. It gets cold in Texas, too, and we get things there like ice storms and sleet and huge hail. But the storms pass quicker, and the winter season is shorter there. I still wouldn't want to move back. Oregon is too dang pretty. And the lakes here are so clear and blue. And I love my Oregon Coast. (I'll share it with you all, don't worry! Actually I have to - it's the people's coast, it's the law! lol)

People say the winters are mild here in the Willamette Valley, which is where Eugene and Springfield are. We're in the southern tail of the valley. There are certainly colder - and hotter - places to live in Oregon. The Valley is supposed to be more mild. Maybe it is. I haven't lived those other places so I don't know. But I just get cold, and by Feb/Mar I start eyeballing things like tanning salons, hot yoga, and trips to Hawaii to cope!

In a mobile home situation, I would suggest just making sure it's as insulated as you can get it. And maybe get ductless heat/ac if you can. EWEB has rebates that make it pretty affordable. Also consider sun exposure, and the type of trees that you have around. We've learned from our own home (not a mobile home but still...) that we love the trees that lose their leaves in the winter. It's wonderful. You have shade in the summer that keeps you cooler, and when they lose their leaves in the winter you get as much sun as you can get to help things stays warmer. One one side of our home we have evergreen trees p monsters, they are huge - and that part of the house stays chilly all year. But the parts of our house where there are trees where the leaves fall in the winter gets warmer in the winter.

Anyway - good luck and yes - Florida sucks. Get out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area