Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:26 AM

57 posts, read 65,325 times

Advertisements

We are considering retirement in or around Eugene. I am worried about crime. If we keep garage, car, and house locked, will we be less threatened by crime? Do we need to have a security system installed? How do you protect yourself? We are seniors and want to feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 PM

I hope some people will have time to respond. I have researched Eugene and area for many months now. I can't get a picture of crime there. The "10 Most Dangerous Cities in Oregon," which includes Eugene and area. I look at police stats which gives a negative impression, yet my 9verall impression of Eugene is very good. The subject of how safe do you feel doing daily living day to day? As seniors as we continue to age, safety will be one if our first needs. Please give me an overall sense of this.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 AM

54 posts, read 58,093 times
I'm 74 and feel very safe in Springfield. There is more crime in Eugene (because it is larger) but it is also a safe place to live. There may be a couple of neighborhoods in both towns which have more crime but it is still not too bad.
Being in the top 10 crime cities just may mean there are not that many cities in Oregon to compare. There are many seniors who feel safe and enjoy this area. Being from California 3 years ago, I feel there was more crime there than here.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 AM

57 posts, read 73,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssumner View Post
I hope some people will have time to respond. I have researched Eugene and area for many months now. I can't get a picture of crime there. The "10 Most Dangerous Cities in Oregon," which includes Eugene and area. I look at police stats which gives a negative impression, yet my 9verall impression of Eugene is very good. The subject of how safe do you feel doing daily living day to day? As seniors as we continue to age, safety will be one if our first needs. Please give me an overall sense of this.
This isn't Eugene specific, it's hit and miss County wise but it may give you a general idea what the State (and Nation for that matter) is facing . . .

https://www.lanecounty.org/UserFiles...iefs_FINAL.pdf

Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:

I suspect the "10 Most Dangerous Cities" is the article from the click-bait site Roadsnacks, which shows up on several fact-check sites as fake/sensationalist. Pretty much the most dangerous cities in any state will also be the largest cities. Eugene is the 3rd largest metro area (Portland and Salem are larger), so it wouldn't be surprising if it is on any list of 10.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
We are considering retirement in or around Eugene. I am worried about crime. If we keep garage, car, and house locked, will we be less threatened by crime? Do we need to have a security system installed? How do you protect yourself? We are seniors and want to feel safe.
Here's the deal -- (I don't live in Eugene anymore, and I'm not a senior, but I still have plenty of friends and family there) -- it mostly seems to be petty crimes of opportunity. Definitely keep stuff locked and otherwise minimize temptation and you should be fine in most parts of town. Unfortunately, porch pirating is fairly common from what I hear, so you might want to get a P.O. box if you plan to shop via Amazon Prime or other online retailer very often.

If you have a dog, particularly a smaller one that's a desirable breed, take precautions. Don't leave it in the car or in the yard alone. Thieves are stealing dogs and putting them up on Craigslist.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-19-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I suspect the "10 Most Dangerous Cities" is the article from the click-bait site Roadsnacks, which shows up on several fact-check sites as fake/sensationalist. Pretty much the most dangerous cities in any state will also be the largest cities. Eugene is the 3rd largest metro area (Portland and Salem are larger), so it wouldn't be surprising if it is on any list of 10.
A view of Portland and Salem.

Click on Oregon, then a city on the list displayed, anywhere there's a "badge" or just pan around.

If area Law Enforcement subscribes to the program you'll begin to see crime "events".

Try Spokane, WA for fun . . .

By default there are only a few minor "events" turned on, to see more lust click the "Events" bar, scroll to the bottom and select "ALL".

You'll need to master the program interface for the FULL benefits.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Eugene Crime and Police Reports

https://www.crimereports.com/agency/...6&shape_id=426

Eugene police call log Eugene, Ore. - The Register-Guard

Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Thank you all so much. Everything else about the area seems a good fit.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Crime

Thank you all so much. Where did you live in California. It helps to get some perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area