Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:12 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
Thanks Jimrob1. I was concerned it sounded rather rambling and incoherent. I hope the OP sees it. I'd like to know how she is doing.
Your Welcome. It was a wonderful post. Not rambling or incoherent by any means, I've been on CD for years. Your post is one of the better ones I have read.

I hope the OP does read it, because its the type of post that could really help the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
I loved AndyPanda's post so much that I printed it and had my husband read it!

We're moving to Oregon this summer and we've been looking at Cottage Grove and Springfield. We've visited Eugene/Springfield twice, but haven't actually been to Cottage Grove. It just came on my radar a few months ago. I'm certainly starting to understand why real estate is cheaper there now.

Posts like AndyPanda's are what makes City-Data invaluable when re-locating. Thank-you.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 PM

69 posts, read 140,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I loved AndyPanda's post so much that I printed it and had my husband read it!

We're moving to Oregon this summer and we've been looking at Cottage Grove and Springfield. We've visited Eugene/Springfield twice, but haven't actually been to Cottage Grove. It just came on my radar a few months ago. I'm certainly starting to understand why real estate is cheaper there now.

Posts like AndyPanda's are what makes City-Data invaluable when re-locating. Thank-you.
Oh my God, seriously?!! I thought it was really crappy! I just rattled it off the top of my head. I could have said so much more but my fingers were starting to cramp. I'm so glad you found it useful. Thank you very much!

Cottage Grove does have some nice neighborhoods, but ooooohhh, the people, the people. "Inbred" comes to mind pretty quickly just looking around. I would have to be on high doses of Prozac to ever contemplate moving back there again.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Your Welcome. It was a wonderful post. Not rambling or incoherent by any means, I've been on CD for years. Your post is one of the better ones I have read.

I hope the OP does read it, because its the type of post that could really help the OP.
I can't believe that. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2018, 09:23 AM

54 posts, read 58,168 times
What I liked about your post was the much more accurate (and positive) description of Springfield. Springfield has many positives some which outshine Eugene. I moved to Springfield from California about 3 years ago. I'm really happy I did.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie55 View Post
What I liked about your post was the much more accurate (and positive) description of Springfield. Springfield has many positives some which outshine Eugene. I moved to Springfield from California about 3 years ago. I'm really happy I did.
Hi Dottie...Your posts have been helpful too. My husband is a native Californian and I lived there for over 20 years. We've been in my native Maine for 14 years and want to move back to the west coast. We have absolutely no interest in CA now. Oregon feels similar to New England in many ways. We know it's not perfect, but like the wise posters on this board note, "No where is."....This reminds me, one of the things that irked me sooo much about a lot of Californians was their arrogant attitudes. They constantly chanted about it being the best place on earth. I called them brain-washed bubble people.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie55 View Post
I'm a Californian, too. Grew up in Anaheim. I could never live there anymore.

There is a lot of positive about Springfield nowadays. When I first moved to Oregon in 1998, I didn't even bother to look at Springfield because it was such a run-down mess. I am so pleased with what the city managers have done.

I see the latest project is the upgrade of Franklin Blvd. in Glenwood. There is a nice new hotel there now and some new upscale-looking business. It's coming along nicely. It was a real dump before. Meanwhile, Eugene seems to be plagued with an inertia which prevents them from doing anything. It doesn't help that there are so many activists always opposing everything that needs to be done.

Have you ever been to the Adult Activity Center, Dottie? I volunteer there on Wednesday afternoons in the gift shop. Drop by sometime.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
I can't believe that. Thanks!
You're welcome. You had him at "All the tea in China". It made him smile.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Hi Dottie...Your posts have been helpful too. My husband is a native Californian and I lived there for over 20 years. We've been in my native Maine for 14 years and want to move back to the west coast. We have absolutely no interest in CA now. Oregon feels similar to New England in many ways. We know it's not perfect, but like the wise posters on this board note, "No where is."....This reminds me, one of the things that irked me sooo much about a lot of Californians was their arrogant attitudes. They constantly chanted about it being the best place on earth. I called them brain-washed bubble people.
I hear you. My aunt came up from California and complained that people in Oregon "don't dress very nicely."
Well, I will agree with her on that, but at least I don't have to worry about these poorly-dressed people shooting at me on the freeway, either!

The last time I went to California about 12 years ago, the traffic scared me to death. I could see people were driving skillfully, but way too aggressively. Bumper-to-bumper and 90 MPH! On the other hand, I will admit that Oregonians tend to drive exasperatingly slow and and have no idea how to merge onto the freeway. They also tend to stop ridiculously often for no apparent reason. And many of them do what I call the "Oregon wide turn". They will be turning right, and they will ease way over partially into the left lane first, as if they were pulling a 40-foot trailer, but there is no trailer! But they turn like they are pulling one! I've never seen this anywhere else but here. Every place has it's quirks.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:47 PM

57 posts, read 73,172 times
Lane County - https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...nal_062217.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area