Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times

Advertisements

I remember enjoying Monster Cookies when I was a U of O student years ago. Tomorrow, I'll be passing through Eugene, and I would love to indulge in one of the creations. Are they still around? If so, where can I buy one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I see Monster cookies around here and there... try Market of Choice or little coffee shops around the downtown area... in the North Eugene area - near the intersection of N. Delta hwy and Beltline hwy - there is a coffee shop (The Coffee Song? I think that's the name...) it's right in front of the Home Depot on Green Acres road... and I know they have Monster Cookies there... is there a website?

...found this when I googled them...
MONSTER COOKIES.(Business)(A loyal local following and an uncontested niche help Monster Cookies)
Publication Date: 21-AUG-05
Publication Title: The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)

Byline: Sherri Buri McDonal The Register-Guard

In an industrial kitchen filled with the sweet scent of freshly baked cookies, one employee cranked the "cookie depositer," dropping lumps of dough onto a cookie sheet. Another employee paired the lumps, gently patting them into the large rounds that will become a 5-oz. Monster Cookie.

These oversize treats sell for about $1, from glass cookie jars with stainless handles at coffee shops, grocery stores and most Dari-Mart convenience stores, throughout the Eugene-Springfield area and in Corvallis. A favorite of kids, construction workers and university students, among others , they have become practically a Eugene institution.

The company that makes the cookies was founded in Eugene in 1977 by Maggie Ortiz and her two sisters, and then went through several owners until Bonnie Hathaway, 44, bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

Today, Monster Cookie churns out about half a million cookies a year and makes 200 deliveries a week from its facility on Airport Road. Sacred Heart Medical Center, the University of Oregon, Oregon State University and Lane Community College are among...

Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Ohhhhhh....we used to get a monster cookie as a special treat every once in awhile when I was very little and living in Corvallis. Ive even got a pic around here somewhere from when i was about 4, happily attempting to eat my monster cookie...boy, that wouldve been 1978....jeez....im old....anyhow, I regress.... monster cookies are cool.
Tiffany

Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Wow, Haggardhouseelf, you are a font of knowledge on All Things Monster Cookie. Thanks for the advice.

I remember walking over to the EMU for the sugar fix if I was cranking out a last-minute term paper.

Can't decide which I like best: oatmeal and chocolate chip; or peanut butter.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
...cranking out a last-minute term paper.

I am writing one at the moment, due at midnight... I'll take one of each !

If you are coming from the south, make sure to get your ice cream fix at Rice Hill, to prepare your digestive system for the cookie.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Wow, Haggardhouseelf, you are a font of knowledge on All Things Monster Cookie. Thanks for the advice.

I remember walking over to the EMU for the sugar fix if I was cranking out a last-minute term paper.

Well... I just googled them. I've actually never bought one! I just noticed them because they are huge and the name is clever!

My husband says he's seen them in 7-11 (the one on Coburg Road) when he buys his lottery ticket.

Are the pink cookies made by the same people as the monster cookies? I see those around, too...

Personally I love gingerbread. And not with the crystallized ginger candies... I crave the old-fashioned smooth and simple sort of gingerbread. It's hard to find, so I have to make it at home. It's not such a bad thing, though, because it makes your house smell so good! It's not that hard, either... it's one of those very easy and forgiving baking recipes... it's hard to muck it up - so I can do it! (I'm not much of a baker...) It's just a matter of having all your ingredients on hand (I never seem to have molasses when I need it...).

Did you guys google monster cookies yet? There are recipes online for them... not sure if they are for THE monster cookies though...

Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 AM

Thanks y'all! I found one at the U of O Bookstore. They're as good as I remember them. (God I sound old).

Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 AM

25 posts, read 208,802 times
I saw these at the 7-11 on Coburg road when I stopped for my Coke Slurpee yesterday!

The snickerdoodle one was really good - and a good bargain. It was even better after it sat in the hot car while I did errands/shopping.

Thanks for the Monster Cookie tip!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 AM

41 posts, read 162,949 times
I don't remember the name of the bakery but I used to love these cookies that were sort of a chocolate chip with coconut in the batter, and had a huge splat of chocolate or white chocolate on top with chocolate shavings. You could get them in the glass jars with metal tops in the same place as the monster cookies. Any one know what they are called?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 AM

138 posts, read 637,573 times
I will also be passing through Eugene next month and remember Monster Cookies. Can you buy them where they make them at 29496 Airport Rd # 1? I'd like to buy them there if you can because it seems like they would be the freshest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area