Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericleahsmith View Post
my husband and I just moved here from portland.
we are looking for the following places...
1. A store where you buy essential oils and have them mixed, either for perfume, lotions, massage oils, etc) that are mixed in the store for you, they also sell the plain lotions, massage oils etc. similar to "essential oils" in portland.
2. an asian market that has a huge raw fish department and smells funky, similar to "fubon" in portland.
3. CIGAR SHOP. (does not carry bongs and hookah materials)

we've already been to a few places, but have been severely disappointed. mainly, we want a good cigar shop, we're so stressed from not being satisfied with these other stores we need a good smoke now, and we're not pot heads so the head shops in downtown do us no good.
also, are there any good butcher shops besides "benedettis"
Ugh, doncha just hate it when you move to a brand new place expecting it to have the EXACT same type of stores as the place you just moved from and are then ultimately disappointed?

What?
What's that you say? Try something new?? Experience local flavor??
NEVER!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,940 times
You have very specific desires as to how the business should do their thing. If you don't find what you want just go back to Portland and buy what you want. No matter where you move to there will be things the last place had the new one doesn't but imerse yourself in the new...

[mod edit, need 10 post to link off site]

Last edited by Oildog; 11-16-2009 at 12:47 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 02:46 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,744 times
Ah, did you try Rich's Cigar Store web site? You know the place on Adler and 9th downtown Portland?

Rich's Cigar Store-Over 100 Years of Excellence (http://www.richscigar.com/index.htm - broken link)

If you know the brand you want, just order it and it arrives by UPS.

There are other fine Cigar stores on the Web with some Good prices.

Phil

Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,917 times
I haven't lived in Eugene for many years, but these types of places did exist, except for maybe the tabacoo only store. Eugene is small, but it does have a lot of flavor and local color.

Is Lucky's still on the downtown mall? They might have your cigars. I never went in there because I didn't want to and because having women customers would have ruined their crude, old guys only atmosphere.

Idk what you have against hippies, but Eugene is hippie central. For that matter, Portland has a large counter culture community. Handmade products from essential oils is so hippie! Someone at Saturday Market can make you what you want. You will need to be able to mingle and be polite to hippies in order to get it. Other than that, there WERE two places that HAD essential oils you could experiment with and have mixed like you were describing. One was in 5th Street Market and the other was on 18th and Willamette. It sounds like they are out of bussiness.

For authentic Mexican fare, I'd look in the vacinity of Blair, west of 7th and also Railroad BLVD up the first part of River Road. Eugene does have Hispanics who run their own restaurants. Moreno's on Franklin closed a few years ago. It was nice. Sorry you missed it.

There was an organic meat market in the shopping strip where Sundance is located. There was also a quality meat market inside L&L. Both places sold local meat, grass fed beef and free range birds. Is L&L still around?

Newman's market had off the boat fresh seafood. There was also a good fresh fish market near Blair and 7th.

There used to be two Asian markets. Idk, if they are still around either.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Eugene has had a couple of tobacconist for several generations. I doubt if the OP really cares anymore. There are at my count (Where I have personally been) six essential oil vendors, not counting the Saturday markets.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM

56 posts, read 124,138 times
As for taco carts or trailers, there is one on W.11th about a block west of Chambers. There is another taco trailer on River Rd. at McClure Lane, in the Emerald Shopping Center. I've had a burrito from both of these places, and they were ok. But I do love finding a good, cheap burrito!

My favorite place for a cheap burrito or taco is Taqueria Mi Tierra at 628 Blair Blvd. There is a restaurant and a store next door. Very authentic and reasonably priced food. It's an order at the counter type of place, so you can still eat a large burrito for $5. They have some great salsa there that Momma makes every morning. Oh, and they use queso fresca instead of cheddar cheese in the burritos.

But the fun part of a good taco cart is finding it yourself. They move around - duh, they're on wheels, so maybe there's one coming to your neighborhood soon. If not, hit the streets of Springfield, I've had some good cart food from there.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
There is not an overly large illegal population in Eugene so there are not a lot of taco trucks either. Eugene's illegal population tends to be Western Russian, and Students whose visa's have run out. Many of them from Japan and the Muslim Countries.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
...Eugene's illegal population tends to be Western Russian, and Students whose visa's have run out. Many of them from Japan and the Muslim Countries.
OK now that is interesting. There are a lot of young people who look middle-eastern in the area where we recently bought a home. They seem to be college age kids, and many of them have these suped-up (sp?) cars that they like to race up and down the side streets at night. They also have parties and in the mornings you'll see beer cans and trash strewn about their yards where they rent and the street.

(I'm married to a man who is not white, so judge as you feel you must but know that I don't usually form an opinion about a person based on the color of their skin or country of their origin)...

There seems to be an increasing number of middle eastern college-age kids in the area, and we were wondering what the deal was. I don't know that I would refer to them as muslim, because they don't seem to practice that faith... but they certainly look middle eastern. I do see women with their heads covered walking with baby strollers from time to time as well, but most of the guys seem to have young college age white girlfriends that they party with.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
You could always ask them instead of jumping to conclusions.

"Middle Eastern" means Mediterranean, which means Turkey, Greece, Morocco, Crete, Lebanon, Egypt, etc. Most Middle Eastern people are Muslim, which means they don't use alcohol, or at least are not supposed to. As you know, young people do a lot of things they aren't supposed to.

West Asian means your classic Aryan (Iranian) type. Kurdistan, Iran, Uzbekistan, Northern India (Sikhs), etc. It sounds like your neighbors might be from India. The median income of Indians in the USA is about $90,000 a year, substantially above the national median. Every convenience store in my county is owned by Sikhs.

Other Asian people you can pretty much identify on sight are South Asians (southern India, Indonesia), SE Asians (Thai, Vietnamese, Tibetan) East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans) and NE Asians (Yakuts, Mongols).

I could also point out that none of the above are Russians, though some of them might speak Russian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area