Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
For me Spanish is the easiest of the Romance languages (perhaps because I studied it in school) and find it the easiest to read.

Romanian should be familiar to you if you studied French because about 40% of vocab comes directly from French. The pronunciation might be a little different, but not to bad.
It should be easier, but I think it is just harder for me to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
A dialect of Italian? That's just hilarious.

Almost as funny as people thinking Roman means someone from Rome itself (Romans from all over the empire came into Dacia, which can be seen in the fact that Romanians have a WIDE variety of looks).

She probably forgot her history lesson regarding the fact that in the 19th century Romanian underwent a "cleaning" of the language, meaning, most of Romanian vocabulary comes from French, NOT Latin, artificially introduced by scholars replacing Slavic words.
True. When I was 10 years old, I met a Romanian for the first time. My mother thought he was Hispanic. I have a Romanian friend who has blond hair and blue eyes. So you have a point there. Romanians come in a wide variety of looks.

As for the "cleaning of the language", I didn't know that.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 PM

172 posts, read 362,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
True. When I was 10 years old, I met a Romanian for the first time. My mother thought he was Hispanic. I have a Romanian friend who has blond hair and blue eyes. So you have a point there. Romanians come in a wide variety of looks.
Even within my family looks vary, even among brothers and sisters.

I'm 6'2" and very tanned with dark brown hair and hazel eyes- well I am in water polo so I'm in the sun all the time and my skin gets really dark and hair lighter- and people think I look like a mix of white and a South American or some sort of Hispanic- I live in So-Cal, lol-.

My brother on the other hand looks like an Eastern European and fit in when he visited Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia and Germany. My cousins vary from blond, light brown, to black hair. Eye color varies as well, blue, grey, hazel to brown. All the males are over 6' for the most part as well.

The thing is, just a day visiting Bucharest reveals just the amount of different looks among Romanians and it is awesome! I can pick out a Romanian when I see one when I go places... for the most part. I once met a couple who I swore was German or some Northern European- really blond hair and pale skin-, until I heard them speaking, and it was Romanian that was coming out of their mouths. Fooled me.

Moral of the story, Romanians are not obsessed about looks because we come in all shapes, sizes and shades of colors. What makes a person a Romanian is based on "borders, language, and culture." In fact, there is a Romanian soccer player who is of Hungarian decent who when he played in Hungary for a game held a Romanian flag because he said he was a Romanian and proud. Remember, the more east you go, especially in the Balkans, the less of a "look" the people have because of the amount of intermingling with other people.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Even within my family looks vary, even among brothers and sisters.

I'm 6'2" and very tanned with dark brown hair and hazel eyes- well I am in water polo so I'm in the sun all the time and my skin gets really dark and hair lighter- and people think I look like a mix of white and a South American or some sort of Hispanic- I live in So-Cal, lol-.

My brother on the other hand looks like an Eastern European and fit in when he visited Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia and Germany. My cousins vary from blond, light brown, to black hair. Eye color varies as well, blue, grey, hazel to brown. All the males are over 6' for the most part as well.

The thing is, just a day visiting Bucharest reveals just the amount of different looks among Romanians and it is awesome! I can pick out a Romanian when I see one when I go places... for the most part. I once met a couple who I swore was German or some Northern European- really blond hair and pale skin-, until I heard them speaking, and it was Romanian that was coming out of their mouths. Fooled me.

Moral of the story, Romanians are not obsessed about looks because we come in all shapes, sizes and shades of colors. What makes a person a Romanian is based on "borders, language, and culture." In fact, there is a Romanian soccer player who is of Hungarian decent who when he played in Hungary for a game held a Romanian flag because he said he was a Romanian and proud. Remember, the more east you go, especially in the Balkans, the less of a "look" the people have because of the amount of intermingling with other people.
What you just said reminds me of the two Romanian women I met this past summer and they both go to my university. I thought both of them were Brazilian. One of them was the same blond haired, blue eyed female. I thought she was Brazilian because of her cheekbones. The other Romanian female I met has similar features to you(tan, brown hair, though she has brown eyes). The variety of looks you described reminds me a bit of Brazil and Louisiana(although not such much like Louisiana or Brazil). The variety of looks, shapes and sizes is the main thing I see in these places.

I am still trying to learn Romanian. My friends have some busy lives. One is an athlete and my other friend works and goes to school in the evening, so I don't get to practice it much. I did learn the first few lines to Desteapta-te Romane.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Is Romania a Latin or Slavic culture? Well, Romanians are descended from ancient Romans who settled in the region. The language, Romanian, is a Latin-based language.
Latin word for White: Albus. Romanian word for White: Alb. Latin word for night: Noctis. Romanian word for night: Noapte.
Romania is an official member of La Francophonie. French is understood by 24% of the population according to this link: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a...ebs_243_en.pdf
Romania is mostly a Latin culture with some eastern European influences, such as the Orthodox Church, influences from the Ottoman Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Romania had some influences from France. Arts, architecture, and other influences. In fact, look at Bucuresti and the Arcul de Triumf. I have seen pictures of Bucuresti. It looks a bit like Paris. Calea Victoriei is to Bucuresti what Champs Elysees is to Paris. Herastrau Park(in Bucuresti) looks similar to what you might find in Paris(at least from my point of view). In my eyes, Romania has a Latin culture, in many ways, with some influences form Eastern Europe, the Ottoman Empire, and other places.
I have also read that many Romanians have immigrated to Spain. One of the reasons listed was that like Spain, Romania has a Latin-rooted culture. This is a link I found:Rhiz.eu - _FROM BUCURESTI TO MADRID THROUGH CULTURE

Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,646,117 times
Romania is ethnically a country with a population descending from the Dacian tribes. They have a lot of Tzingaros or Gipsys as part of the Romanian population. The romanian languaje is one of the Romance languajes influenced by the Roman latin in eastern Europe, but I would no considered romanian people as "latinos" at all.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
Romania is ethnically a country with a population descending from the Dacian tribes. They have a lot of Tzingaros or Gipsys as part of the Romanian population. The romanian languaje is one of the Romance languajes influenced by the Roman latin in eastern Europe, but I would no considered romanian people as "latinos" at all.
It was a matter if Romania was a Latin or Slavic nation. I would say it is more Latin than Slavic based on the things you said. Romanian is a Latin-based language, and much of the Romanian population is descended from Dacians. Romania comes from a Latin word "Romanus".

Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Last night I went to my friend's apartment. He was online trying to learn Spanish. I asked him to look at some Romanian lessons. I am trying to learn Romanian. When he looked at some of the words, he said some of it sounded like Spanish. One of the phrases was "De unde esti"? In Spanish it's "De donde eres"? Both mean "Where are you from"?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
Are Romanians kind of mixed phenotypically, like Kazahks or something? ie they have no one particular 'look' to them

Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 19,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It was a matter if Romania was a Latin or Slavic nation. I would say it is more Latin than Slavic based on the things you said. Romanian is a Latin-based language, and much of the Romanian population is descended from Dacians. Romania comes from a Latin word "Romanus".

I'm Romanian and I get why the previous poster didn't think Romanians are "latinos." The language may derive from Latin, but to be a "latino" has to do with a certain lifestyle/attitude. You know what it means to be a "latino" when you see it. I live in Miami and there are Latinos all over the place. There are Romanian songs in which are are referred to as latinos, but there is a huge difference between being Romanian and what they consider here a "latino."

I think we have a very unique culture.

I speak Spanish and did so long before I took a college class (which proved way too easy). I picked it up while watching soccer and 'telenovele.' Learned Latin and French in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe