Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
ilt ilt started this thread

14 posts, read 325,723 times

Advertisements

the typical stereotype of Spanish women is that the all look like models and spend all their time perfecting that image so i was wondering what are Spanish women really like and what is considered beautiful/ attractive in Spain. Also to pin point this analogy; what do Spanish men consider beautiful (do they judge both mind and body)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 598,051 times
I'm from Spain.

If stereotypes were true then we would not call them stereotypes, but just "the truth".

Said this, it's true girls here look on average better than in other places, but not that much than in other countries. And they all don't look like models at all. I guess it's a matter of taste.

That about perfecting their image it is somehow true. Even most ugly girls here are really coquettish.

And also, girls in Spain are not as dark skinned/haired as a lot of americans believe. Most of girls here have their hair brown, and blondes are not unusual either.

About what Spanish men do like or consider beautiful... I think it is just like in everywhere else.

Most of people here do care about mind, but at the same time we have our appearance preferences. There are people who only care about appearance but people like this exist everywhere.

Blondes, brunettes, girls very pale, tanned girls, asians, latinamericans... All of these are considered here.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilt View Post
the typical stereotype of Spanish women is that the all look like models and spend all their time perfecting that image so i was wondering what are Spanish women really like and what is considered beautiful/ attractive in Spain. Also to pin point this analogy; what do Spanish men consider beautiful (do they judge both mind and body)
I was in Spain, alone, for about three weeks. Obviously not enough time to really familiarize myself with the culture, but time enough to make a few surface generalizations. I traveled throughout the country, beginning in Barcelona, to San Sebastian, then going south to Madrid, Granada, and finally Tarifa.

Young Spanish women (say under 30) are no more attractive (or even less attractive), in my opinion, than American or British women. They tend to age well though, probably because all their walking keeps them in shape, and they dress in much better clothing than say, girls from Duluth, Minnesota. They also vary in appearance according to region, as the general Spanish public does: the Basques tend to be as light-skinned as the Brits, while Andalucia could be southern Italy. This reflects the differing genetic heritage throughout Spain. Madrid and Barcelona are very diverse, attracting immigration from other parts of Spain as well as (since the 80's) around the world.

Spanish girls generally seem to be a reserved lot. Spain is one of the most visited countries in the world, and you will probably not attract the attention of locals, romantic or otherwise. As soon as you bat an eye at a Spanish girl, they will dismiss you, or so it was for me (other travelers say the same thing). One observation I have made, which has been confirmed by many of the Spaniards I know, is the Spanish, at least those from northern Spain, tend (perhaps moreso than other nationalities) to stick to their families and tight-knit peer groups. Although very helpful in my experience (I speak Spanish), don't expect Spaniards (male or female) you don't know to extemporaneously socialize with you. Exceptions would be the owner of my pension in San Sebastian, who strangely was fascinated with me and couldn't stop talking to me, and a kid from Jaen I met on the Granada - Algeciras train, who ended up saying I was welcome at his home in Jaen (I've read that Andalucians tend to be more gregarious). In Morocco, I was the object of non-stop social advances, both unwanted and wanted, and even slept the day at the friend I met on the Rissani - Marrakesh bus's uncle's house. Talk about hospitality!

I really don't know what Spanish men consider attractive. There seem to be no stereotypes. In fact, I really wonder that.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
ilt ilt started this thread

14 posts, read 325,723 times
I'm sorry if my questions seem silly but I'm really interested in moving to Spain in the future and I'm trying to gather as much information as i can. I'm 21/female/Trinidadian (East Indian decent = dark skin and hair) currently studying Petroleum Engineering and I'm curious as to what i can expect. i would really appreciate if u could give me anymore information about if i would fit in with the culture. i love the culture and the language and the place so i hope that makes the transition easier. thanks for your :-)

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:

Surprisingly everyone has thier own opinions..Im spanish, and I probably have different opinions than the spanish girl sitting down from me..Spanish men have different opinions too..

Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if my questions seem silly but I'm really interested in moving to Spain in the future and I'm trying to gather as much information as i can. I'm 21/female/Trinidadian (East Indian decent = dark skin and hair) currently studying Petroleum Engineering and I'm curious as to what i can expect. i would really appreciate if u could give me anymore information about if i would fit in with the culture. i love the culture and the language and the place so i hope that makes the transition easier. thanks for your :-)
People everywhere usually like what it is exotic. By your description you probably have exotic rasgs, so don't worry because you won't lack oportunities to find a love here And if you are a smart girl that improves your chances a lot.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Being a Spanish female who's lived in several other places, my experience has been that Spanish females do take much care of their appearance, which includes both proper nutrition and nice clothing and hairdo. Also, more and more males are becoming like this, as well. I think that we're closer to, say, Italy or Eastern Europe than to Germany or Scandinavia, where I've found people to dress more functionally and not so much planning their style so as to look beautiful and/or smart.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
the typical stereotype of Spanish women is that the all look like models and spend all their time perfecting that image so i was wondering what are Spanish women really like and what is considered beautiful/ attractive in Spain.
That seems to be an American stereotype, and it's more towards the Latinas from Latin America who are in the United States.

I mean, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan, etc. These are the heart of the nations who always excel in International Beauty contests, etc.

While Spain is the motherland of Latin American....I personally found Spanish women to be MUCH more European. Meaning, they might dress somewhat fashionable compared to their American cousins across the Atlantic. But, nowhere near the level of 'Beauty Pageant oriented' Latin American countries.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, as I said there is some sort of missunderstanding about Spaniards as we are oftenly related with Latin-americans even if in reality we are totally different in a lot of ways. Perhaps the only ones closer to us are the Argentinians, who have also ties with the Germans and the Italians.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM

208 posts, read 546,860 times
They are difficult to understand, like the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe