Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

110 posts, read 364,135 times

Advertisements

Im heading there for my honeymoon in April... anything to see in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,668,292 times
The Black Forest is excellent for most outdoor things, though you'll probably be too late for good skiing. Cities like Strasbourg and Basel are good ideas for day trips, and Freiburg is a beautiful and very clean city, though not a major tourist centre by itself. Nightlife is OK, but it is mostly students.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,855,871 times
Good choice. Freiburg is the best town in Germany. Climb up the Münster tower, cool your feet in the small streams running along the streets (ok, maybe it's too cold in April for that) enjoy the view from the Dattler restaurant.

Apart from Freiburg itsellf , there is the
- Black Forest with many hiking opportunities (no moskitoes) and scenic views, a good contrast to Florida
- the Kaiserstuhl area which is the best wine region in Germany,
- the neighbouring Alsace. Colmar is nicer than Straßburg.
- Switzerland is close to and Basel is worth a visit.

Freiburg is very underrated compared to other German towns like Heidelberg.

Have fun!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,337,011 times
Be careful not to step into the small streems along the streets accidentially, otherwise the ancient legend says you will marry a person from that city.

Freiburg indeed is very nice, I prefer locations without the huge tourists spots and thousands of tourists running around. The Munster is beautiful and the Black Forest area is also worth a visit.
The nightlife in my opinion is very nice, lots of young people and they have good "Rothaus Tannenzapfle" beer.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM

my fiance is already planning day trips all over, apparently she says the fairytale castle that Disney castles are modeled after is about a 2-3 hour drive. We are actually staying at a place called totdmoos, at the hotel funfjahreisten, or some weird spelling like that!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM

112 posts, read 281,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzazz View Post
my fiance is already planning day trips all over, apparently she says the fairytale castle that Disney castles are modeled after is about a 2-3 hour drive. We are actually staying at a place called totdmoos, at the hotel funfjahreisten, or some weird spelling like that!
It´s called Schloss Neuschwanstein. Not far away from where I live. "Fünfjahreszeiten" means 5 seasons.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbicon View Post
It´s called Schloss Neuschwanstein. Not far away from where I live. "Fünfjahreszeiten" means 5 seasons.
Yup, thats the one!! on both accounts is the hotel any good???

Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM

241 posts, read 743,153 times
thinking of applying for the university there. well ranked and have the most English taught master's programs in the fields I want to study. my biggest worry was meeting people my age, mid-20's to mid 30's, and it sounds like it's actually more students, which may be all right.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,087,805 times
25% of Freiburgians belong to the "Green Party". The city is known for known for its green housing regulation, and it solar energy research center. Meteoroligically it's the sunniest and warmest town in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe