Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,782 times

Advertisements

It makes no sense to talk about 'The Irish Accent' as a monolithic unit. Just like in England the US and Canada, there is enormous variation in Irish accents - even within that little landmass. Along the East side of the Island, the accents are heavily influenced by where people learned their English from. The SE of Ireland got it's English largely from settlers from the the SW of England, the central East Coast (Dublin area) from the English W. Midlands - Ulster got its English mainly through the Scots. There is also the linguistic legacy of other invaders and settlers, such as the Danes and the Normans - and, of course, elements from the Irish language. The West of Ireland got its English much later, mainly through the established English-speaking Irish population. Western Irish accents are, I think, heavily influenced by the phonology of the local Irish dialects spoken there until recently.

Irish accents, no doubt, played a part in making up some of what we no know as American accents - and 'General American', the 'neutral' American accent (equivalent to 'Received Pronunciation' in England). I suspect a certain amount of influence has also come back the other way. I have heard some young Irish people whose accents, heard in short snatches, can be hard to distinguish from some American accents. There are certain characteristically American phonetic features, such as 'dark L', absent from most Irish accents, that are becoming more common in young Irish accents. But I think a trip to Ireland would quickly dispel any belief that Irish and American accents sound the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM

41 posts, read 41,014 times
I met some girls from Dublin, they were well off by their demeanors, and I first thought they were American girls trying to sound less American. Very nice English. Other Irish speak with Irish accent, which is more understandable for foreigners (in many cases) that some impossible English dialects.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
I find that the Israeli accent sounds Eastern European (Slavic-esque) while the Palestinian accent sounds Western European (along the lines of Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian). And there is a good reason for this but really no historical reason anyone should mistake an Irish accent for ANYTHING else.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I've heard some people say that Irish accents, at times, can be very similar sounding to some American and Canadian accents, and that it often takes them a while when talking to someone to even realize they have an Irish accent at all, until one or two words give it away. I can't believe this, but I'll let you guys answer or share your experiences.

I've also heard some think that Scottish accents, in some way, resemble some of the Canadian sounds that differentiate American from Canadian accents, such as the vowel sounds.
Yes, this is because they are similar. Remember a handful portion of immigrants from Ireland came to North America in the 19th century especially and left a deep influence. I am an American, and I have seen the similarity.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 AM

27 posts, read 30,143 times
I find the Irish accent to be no way as similar to any American accent. Irish people just sound European. That's it. If anyone really questions on how it's similar to American accents, then you must be confused or something.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEagle View Post
I find the Irish accent to be no way as similar to any American accent. Irish people just sound European. That's it. If anyone really questions on how it's similar to American accents, then you must be confused or something.
What exactly does a European sound like?

Also, there is no single Irish accent.

Someone is definitely confused.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Listen to comedian Niall Toibin (pronounced Toe-been) do a few of the many Irish accents.

Irish regional accents - Niall Tóibín - YouTube

Old 09-03-2015, 10:59 PM

79 posts, read 127,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Listen to comedian Niall Toibin (pronounced Toe-been) do a few of the many Irish accents.

Irish regional accents - Niall Tóibín - YouTube
Most of those are awful. They may sound ok to someone not familiar with Irish accents, but not to someone from Ireland.
I think they best thing to do is look at some of the 'accent tag' videos on Youtube. You'll get an idea on the diversity of Irish accents from people who aren't trying to imitate one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNTL9HUcoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IeBUc2oDKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lew1xJDNkk

Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Disagree! I'm Irish, if you can't laugh at yourself.......
I did note that Toibin is a comedian. His exaggeration underlines the point like a cartoon facial, long nose etc.
While those accent tags you posted are accurate, they in no way represent the full spectrum. I think Toibin does a better job at that, while acknowledging the limitations.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 PM

79 posts, read 127,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Disagree! I'm Irish, if you can't laugh at yourself.......
I did note that Toibin is a comedian. His exaggeration underlines the point like a cartoon facial, long nose etc.
While those accent tags you posted are accurate, they in no way represent the full spectrum. I think Toibin does a better job at that, while acknowledging the limitations.
I'm Irish too. And it wasn't a case of laughing at yourself, I was pointing out that his accents weren't that good. They sound silly to me.
And there's no way I could post videos to represent every accent or I'd be here all day trying to find videos and posting them.
I've even got a different accent to my Dad and I grew up listening to him! You go 3 miles in any direction from my house and that person will have a different accent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe