Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,940 times

Advertisements

To an untrained non-English native with little exposure to Irish voices Irish English may well be confused with American English.

For exampe if you live in Germany, and this probably goes for other countries in continental Europe too, you rarely hear Irish people speaking. Most movies orininally in English are dubbed, including the few from Ireland. So when you suddenly hear someone on the street speaking with a rolling R (and people know that Americans roll their Rs) then you might as well think they are Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
The only people who would confuse an Irish accent with a Canadian or US accent are those that lack exposure or who are not native speakers. It's like confusing British and Australian accents - only happens if you are not really familiar with either.
That's it. There are similarities (rhoticisms, rather un-rounded short 'o' sound such as words as as 'block') but listen enough and you'll find the Irish accent is also very different.

The Irish accent had some influence in some Southern accents, but is most notable in the accent of Boston and Eastern New England, which seems to be pretty influenced by both Irish and West English accents. Think of the word 'for' being pronounced like like 'far.' Of course in the Boston version the 'r' is not pronounced.

Most young Irish people I've met have had very strong accents, not easily confused with the Canadians or Americans I've met.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
They sound nothing alike.. how on earth can you confuse the two? But I'll be honest and admit I've often gotten confused between an Aussie/Brit on TV despite knowing the two accents apart..

Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlipin View Post
I am an American living in Spain and we met an irish family while at some friends' house and I can tell you that the mother and father spoke with the expected Irish accent but the kids spoke with accents that sounded like they were from the upper midwest or somewwhere in the U.S.
Some Irish kids probably speak like Americans 'cause they think it's cool But some just aquire the accent from watching American t.v. shows and movies from when they are little to their teens.
when it comes to accents , thier is a phenomenon known as a mid atlantic accent which has become very common among the middle class youth in ireland and especially in the wealthiest parts of dublin , spend a few days hanging out with teenage well off middle class girls in dublin and you would think you were on the set of the OC , it is of course a contrived accent and those who use it are often figures of fun and ridicule

Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
I never heard that one before. I have met loads of Americans and they sound nothing like an Irish accent. They cant even understand me and I could'nt understand them. Why do Americans say words like gas. I am putting gas in my car. Its not gas its petrol. Does anyone know why they say stuff llike this or Milon when its Milan or Iron when its Iran.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I never heard that one before. I have met loads of Americans and they sound nothing like an Irish accent. They cant even understand me and I could'nt understand them. Why do Americans say words like gas. I am putting gas in my car. Its not gas its petrol. Does anyone know why they say stuff llike this or Milon when its Milan or Iron when its Iran.
silly college girls from south dublin sound like people from california or at least try to

gas is short for gasoline petroleum , makes perfect sense , think about it , which is easier , refering to the gas pedal or the accelerator like europeans go

Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
silly college girls from south dublin sound like people from california or at least try to

gas is short for gasoline petroleum , makes perfect sense , think about it , which is easier , refering to the gas pedal or the accelerator like europeans go

No its not college girls. Its just girls from certain area's of the city.

I have thought about it and if I was to go to the garage to get petrol I would just say I am going to the garage to get petrol. Easy

Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No its not college girls. Its just girls from certain area's of the city.

I have thought about it and if I was to go to the garage to get petrol I would just say I am going to the garage to get petrol. Easy
and if you wanted to get from the ground floor of a building to the sixth , you would use the lift where as americans would use the elevator

tomato - tomato

Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,185 times
I remember Charlton Heston saying that the American accent sprang from south west England. Cornwall in particular.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
and if you wanted to get from the ground floor of a building to the sixth , you would use the lift where as americans would use the elevator

tomato - tomato

Or ass instead of arse or hobo instead of homeless person. Or soccer instead of football. Or finale instead of final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe