Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,386 times

Advertisements

I'm a New Yorker now living in Dallas who has a job offer in Amsterdam (I'm a Chiropractor). To current locals, those that have visited, lived, or left Amsterdam: what are some things (both good and bad) that you were surprised by during your stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 PM

10,611 posts, read 15,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRiggs View Post
I'm a New Yorker now living in Dallas who has a job offer in Amsterdam (I'm a Chiropractor). To current locals, those that have visited, lived, or left Amsterdam: what are some things (both good and bad) that you were surprised by during your stay?
Healthcare is pretty good here...
I was born in the Netherlands lived here for 20 years, can't wait to get out of here. Holland is one of these countries you visit/stay in for a short period.
To small/to boring after a while for me tho.

Bad:
Price of gas
Lack of parking spaces
Stealing of bikes
Traffic (especially between 6-9 in the morning and 4-7 in the evening)
Demonstrating Hippies
Homeless people
Junks
Dealers
Pimps
Semi-Ghetto's

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,989,177 times
I've visited...

Especially if you are coming from Dallas, you'll absolutely love being in a city that is pedestrian-friendly, beautiful bridges, walkability, pedestrian-friendly, bicycle-friendly. If you're a Texan who doesn't think he's into that, you'll probably find your ideas about how a city should be, will quickly change once you are there. Wonderful site.

If I recall, and I don't know the specifics, they created an entire area that cars are simply not allowed to go. Meaning, it is easy to walk around around everywhere in the streets and over the bridges. They also have some bicycle program, where anyone can use any bike they want, and drop it off at other designated places, but I don't know the specifics of that.

The bad that I saw was a lot of drug addicts who walk among the tourists trying to get money, and sell their stuff. Had one particular guy who was arguing with me in the street telling me I was treating him inhuman for ignoring him. (That being said, the U.S. has a lot of homeless and drug issues as well, so nothing new for Americans - it's just that most Americans drive by them instead).

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,791,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've visited...
uhuh ... you're right, IF and WHEN you just visit.
Then your statements about Amsterdam is OK, but try living and working there for a while ...

I'm with Davy-040 !
Been there done that.
I even speak the language fluent.
Visiting Holland, a nice place. No argument here.
Living and working there ?
Nope, not any more ...

Does not mean Dr. Riggs will not like it there.
He might even enjoy the *freedoms* there ...

So my advice to the OP:
Get a contract where you can get sent back home if and when it does not fit your lifestyle.
Not good to not be able to get back if you get to be miserable.
If you like it, all the best to you and have a great time.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 AM

385 posts, read 856,574 times
This sounds like a show I just seen not to long ago, not saying this is you but........ sure has a lot of the same questions, just saying

Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
I love the Netherlands, always have.
I only visit, but I've visited over 50 times in the last several decades.

I say go for it.
It's always good to move away from home and it's lovely living outside of the US.
The Netherlands is rather small but it has a lot of diversity.
Good jazz, museums... the people are great. English is spoken everywhere.
I drive from the Czech border to Gouda for cheese about 4 times a year and stick around for a few days to a week or more.
You're close to Belgium and France and Germany.
You're a hop from GB.
RyanAir has cheap flights throughout Europe. The opportunity to travel can't be beat.
Heck, take the train.

There's quite a difference being born and raised somewhere and going to live in an area for a few years. If you're born somewhere, it's pretty dull after a while; if you're moving there later in life, it's new and exciting.

What do you have to lose?
The weather is pretty sucky, but it's not much better here in Bavaria, and it's not a deterrent to travel and/or fun.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,386 times
Thanks for the input all! Would any of you say its similar to either San Fran or Austin? Those are two of my favorite cities in the US, and I was thinking (both in vibe and cost of living) they would be comparable...it seems like those two cities also share the negatives that Amsterdam does.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
How often do you have the opportunity to live in another country? A different continent?
Look at the learning experience.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,476,597 times
I'm with Chielgirl; I honestly think it would be a great opportunity. I visited Holland a number of times when I was in the USAF and got to see a good bit of the rest of Holland as well as A'dam. Personally, I like Utrecht better than A'dam, but that's not where your job offer is. Yep, the Dutch are rather free with their drug use. I've never been interested, so it was never a big deal to me. I never felt unsafe when walking around and have always believed that reasonable caution and common sense will get you through any foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe