Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times

Advertisements

How about Nice? I really enjoyed it in winter and it is not too far from Italy either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
I was going to suggest Nice also, I'll be there during the first week of November as well.

Other options might include Avignon and Marseille, which will probably still be somewhat warm (for the season) in November.

I'm not sure if you've seen everything in Italy, but what about the Cinque Terre region in Italy? It's probably great weather to get some hiking in.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 461,919 times
Been to Nice, been to the Cinque Terre. As I said, I've been to almost every region in Italy and really want to experience what's outside Italy. But in terms of places in Italy, I wouldn't mind going back to Bolzano, Merano and Verona again if everything else fails.

Someone mentioned Prague- can you tell me more about it? What about Budapest?

Is it safe for a single gal in her 20s to travel Europe alone?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb View Post
Like the northern regions of the USA, northern Europe experiences short days and weak light during the winter season. That said, the climate is considerable more temperate than much of the US and the crowds are blessedly gone. I've traveled in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, and the UK during the spring, fall, and winter and I'd say the winter is by far my favorite time to visit. I love Europe's relaxed pace and relative quiet (not to mention the reduced rates) during the winter months.

You should just pick the city or area you are interested in and go. You won't regret it.
Actually, the days are even shorter as Europe is further north than the US on average. I remember being in Amsterdam (the same latitude as Edmonton, Canada) around the winter solstice and it was still pitch black at 8:00am. It's probably worse further north in the Scandinavian countries. Although the weather is much milder than winter at the same latitude in North America, I'd try to stay in the Southern European countries in the winter for this reason.

Keep that in mind especially if you have outdoor activities planned on your winter trip to Europe!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 AM

142 posts, read 461,919 times
No outdoor activities planned really. Maybe go to see some cool museums, sight see and take in some castles for an hour or two, eat some good local food, sleep and then head on home.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Bruges in wintertime is beautiful (see the movie In Bruges if you want to check it out). But it is about a thousand kilometers away from northern Italy of course, so that might be a bit far?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkobserveher View Post

Yes, definitely safe. Probably safer than traveling the US alone. Be aware of pick-pocketers in cities like Prague or Budapest though. Both awesome cities, btw, but it is rather cold up there. Depends on what kind of weather you're willing to tolerate. Most places along the Mediterranean will be pleasant. Have you looked into Croatia? Also not far from Italy, and a beautiful coastline. Sardinia?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM

13 posts, read 27,390 times
Quote:
In Western Europe (BeNeLux, France and German area) it is safe.

Quote:
Be aware of pick-pocketers in cities like Prague or Budapest though.
I agree, but you should be aware that it can happen almost anywhere.

Quote:
Bruges in wintertime is beautiful
I wouldn't consider October-November as the wintertime. Nevertheless I agree, that Bruges is a beautiful city.

Quote:
I remember being in Amsterdam (the same latitude as Edmonton, Canada) around the winter solstice and it was still pitch black at 8:00am. It's probably worse further north in the Scandinavian countries.
Yes, in December the sun rises after 8:00am. In the very northern parts of Scandinavia they have only a few hours of sunlight every day in the winter. On the opposite they have much sunlight in the summer.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Southern Portugal is still very nice - sometimes showery - during the autumn. You would have to fly into Faro, but from there there are busses and trains to the other parts of the coast. I like Tavira. But the entire coast is pretty quiet and non-touristy at that time of the year. The fare from Milan is varies from just under to over 500 USD...fly to Lisbon, change for Faro.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 AM

276 posts, read 763,111 times
Quote:
Been to Nice, been to the Cinque Terre. As I said, I've been to almost every region in Italy and really want to experience what's outside Italy. But in terms of places in Italy, I wouldn't mind going back to Bolzano, Merano and Verona again if everything else fails.

I mentioned Prague. To me, simply, it is the most beautiful city I've ever seen. It is just ridiculous. When you walk around the center and you look around you think you must in some sort of theme park (in a good way), castle here and castle there, the river, the bridges. I think it embodies perfectly that "old Europe" image a lot of people have.

You're pretty close to it, so that's my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe