Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 AM

231 posts, read 506,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
It's actually funny to think about.

A lot of southern european countries ethnic pride is attached to the church, so they wear it proudly. However, the laws in some of them (like Spain) are very socially liberal. Much more so than America.

In eastern europe, the people are schizophrenic about their religious fate. Legacy of communism and forced atheism however eastern europe maintains some of the most traditional laws on the books and acceptance of (say homosexuals) is far behind that of the "hyper-religious" USA.

I think the Balkans is the best answer to this question. Like southern european countries, they wear their religion proudly. Like eastern european countries, they aren't very liberal in their social policies.

You don't know what you are talking about. Southern Europe, including France, does not give a crap about religion. Almost nobody believes in religious mumble jumbo, but the cultural legacy of the church (almost 2000 years) is part of the European legacy and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 AM

190 posts, read 706,899 times
I think in Europe there is xenophobia mostly against muslims and gypsies, the first group is very large and varied, i would not put them all in the same bag, but there is a section of them quite problematic. As for the gypsies from Romania, i think there are no people in the world more delinquent and aggressive, sorry, i was insulted and threatened several times in my neighborhood, the last time i came to the purchase and along to me passed a family, the husband threatened me with a metal bar and began to insult me ​​in his language. Sorry to say it but this is normal behavior in 99% of them.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Pakistanis and Arabs (from Asia) cause no problem at all, problem are North Africans.

As to ROM, I can't set apart ROMS from Romanians and many other Slavics like Bosnians, Serbs, Moldavians and who know hat else!!!! They have obnoxious rings of beggars and pickpockets, lead thiefs, criminals... They should remove Romania from the EC until they solve the problem.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Replaced derogatory term

Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 AM

190 posts, read 706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
Pakis and Arabs (from Asia) cause no problem at all, problem are North Africans.

As to ROM, I can't set apart ROMS from Romanians and many other Slavics like Bosnians, Serbs, Moldavians and who know hat else!!!! They have obnoxious rings of beggars and pickpockets, lead thiefs, criminals... They should remove Romania from the EC until they solve the problem.
Thats not true at all. Romanians are not the same than romani gypsies, there are criminal bands of Bosnians, Romanians etc, but you dont see this behavior in normal people, at most, the famous parking guys.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
Thats not true at all. Romanians are not the same than romani gypsies, there are criminal bands of Bosnians, Romanians etc, but you dont see this behavior in normal people, at most, the famous parking guys.
I always try to avoid them because I don't want to pay to a guy for a parking space that I already seen, but I have never had any problems with them.

I read about fights between nationalities parking areas (mostly africans and romanians), but have not ever seen. In fact, the only gorrilla with which I was scared, was an spanish homeless.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

I have never seen it here, in Barcelona, but in Seville they have that problem. Most of the "bolillas" or people that charge for parking are Spanish bums, at least until quite recently.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
It isn't Spain and Italy, contrary to what one might think. Historically, yes. In the current day, no. Basically, they are mostly lapsed, Cafeteria Catholics.

Maybe that's why the Mormons are there trying to make inroads. Do they really think that people as unbridled as the Spaniards and the Italians want to 1) tithe 10% of their income, 2) start families at 22, 3) leave "the Med" to go on a mission, and 4) have HQ be in Salt Lake City?

Still, better a lapsed, Cafeteria Catholic than hating the church altogether, as is sometimes the case here in the States.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. Southern Europe, including France, does not give a crap about religion. Almost nobody believes in religious mumble jumbo, but the cultural legacy of the church (almost 2000 years) is part of the European legacy and culture.
That's exactly what I said. All you proved was that you can't read. Good job

Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian30 View Post
The religious parts of the USA make the religious parts of Europe look hedonistic.
No they don't. In places like Moscow, or Belgrade gay pride parades are banned because they cause unrest in the population. Could you imagine the police banning a gay pride parade in any US city for the reason that it provokes the population and they can't guarantee security? The backlash is also religious fueled (as well as nationalistic). You will see priests walking around trying to bless the homosexuals as if they are damned.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It isn't Spain and Italy,
Spain is very socially liberal but Italy (especially southern Italy) is intermediate. In many ways, I think Italy is more socially conservative than the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe