Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you prefer?
France 69 50.74%
Germany 67 49.26%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in either country, probably Germany a bit more. I love the efficiency in Germany and the quality is great. France has richer and deeper culture from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 AM

603 posts, read 1,632,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
FRANCE:
Cultural contributions
History
Tourist attractions
Languages
Food
Architecture
Natural scenery

GERMANY:
Friendliness
Economic diversity
Urban living
Safety & criminality
Nightlife
Education
Transportation

Which country is better to visit?
France

Which country would you choose to live in?
Germany
I agree with this in total.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 AM

57 posts, read 105,095 times
Germany, since that is where I'm from.

For climate reasons though I'm currently learning Spanish and would love to live there for some time.

For some reason I've never been interested in my neighbor.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
For some reason I've never been interested in my neighbor.

Read more: France vs. Germany

What didn't you know that France is the center of the Universe? (if one follows some opinions here on C-D).
I believe it's unacceptable. Mosseketeer, Frenchuser, BritinParis, RuthFor Truth and others French lovers, come over in the defence of the Superior Race (joking of course)

Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
I'd like to visit Paris but Germany has always had my interest and German people seem nicer and more interesting to me as well. I've studied both languages but I like studying German better. I have both some French and German ancestry.

Someone mentioned that Canada and the US owe a lot to both countries which is true. The US in particular owes a lot of it's culture to Germany. Everything from hotdogs (although that's Austrian) Frankfurters, Hamburgers, Bratwurst and Strudel are all popular in the US (and elsewhere perhaps). Almost all of the major American beers were started by German immigrants. There are also Oktoberfest all over the country.

When it comes to modern music, I also prefer the German sound. Germany made the best Eurodance.

Anyway yeah so I would love to live in Germany and visit France.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
No offense, but I find German people to be a bit cold and distant, but that's ok because when I am in the CZ, with my wife, it's similar.

I remember when I backpacked around Europe in 94, I stayed with relatives in Germany, and I loved it. The quality of life for a worker, in most parts of the EU, is much better than in the US even more so now.

The only country with outwardly warm people are Irish, and I joke with them it's to compensate for bad weather.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
No offense, but I find German people to be a bit cold and distant, but that's ok because when I am in the CZ, with my wife, it's similar.

I remember when I backpacked around Europe in 94, I stayed with relatives in Germany, and I loved it. The quality of life for a worker, in most parts of the EU, is much better than in the US even more so now.

The only country with outwardly warm people are Irish, and I joke with them it's to compensate for bad weather.
The Irish are wonderful! Each summer we would get loads of them at Sea World in San Diego to work for the summer. After over a decade of working with different ones each year I agree completely. I still stay in touch with some and have been told that anytime I take a trip there, I won't need to book a hotel.

That cold distant thing seems to come up with everyplace I like. This tells me something about myself.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,249 times
I don't find Germans to be cold. They are normal.
And Germany had better symphonic orchestras than France. And while I am not a musician, I am a big fan of classical music.

While the current situatuation with symphonic orchestras in France is not so bad, they traditionally had less discipline.

I read the memoir of one famous Russian conductor who worked with Dresden Staatskapelle. He was impressed by the discipline among orchestra members. And the quality of their playing.

When he was working with Orchestra de Paris, he was shocked to find that their quality was much lower. It was in 1970s, so maybe now the situation is improved.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Although French (but having lived in Germany), I much prefer the latter. As everybody says,although colder and more distant, they are also more disciplined, less individualistic, more efficient. And as for the climate, not all of France is like the Riviera, most of the country has a climate similar to the Rheinland and southern Germany.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM

106 posts, read 188,829 times
The lander nº 17, Mallorca, has good weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe