Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are European women just not as big on race when it comes to dating?
No, they care way less about race, it really means nothing to them 21 17.50%
They care but not the extent that American women do 42 35.00%
They care just as much as American women 25 20.83%
They care about it even more 32 26.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Agree. I actually never thought about race myself until i went to USA in year 2000 and people were always focusing on other peoples race. Here in Argentina we dont have an issue (not in the media, not something people discuss) about race and its not something is talked about.
Countries like Argentina and Switzerland are predominately white, so you wouldn't talk about race as nearly everyone is white.

In our majority white cities like Boston,Seattle, Portland, they don't talk about race either as they are mostly white. Like 70%+

I think you and the other post must have went to to the east coast where you have fewer whites and a lot more of everyone else. In very racially mixed societies it will come up, especially among those who aren't white, as it's their frame of reference when looking at the world.

I know it equally does in the UK just like the US. Same with Singapore and Malaysia because on ethnicities because it's a multiethnic society.

I'm surprised the Swiss girl doesn't see a similarity with her French, italian and German speakers talking about that at times, which would basically be the same thing.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Just my experience with Europeans in general..

They may be more tolerant than Americans on average but the ones are "racist" are more upfront about it.. I think Europeans don't have the same sense of political correctness as Americans. (This may or may not be a good thing depending on the individual but in any case, we don't live in a perfect world.)

This is my 2 cents after living in Europe for a few months as an Americanized Asian..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 PM

85 posts, read 214,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Countries like Argentina and Switzerland are predominately white, so you wouldn't talk about race as nearly everyone is white.

In our majority white cities like Boston,Seattle, Portland, they don't talk about race either as they are mostly white. Like 70%+

I think you and the other post must have went to to the east coast where you have fewer whites and a lot more of everyone else. In very racially mixed societies it will come up, especially among those who aren't white, as it's their frame of reference when looking at the world.

I know it equally does in the UK just like the US. Same with Singapore and Malaysia because on ethnicities because it's a multiethnic society.

I'm surprised the Swiss girl doesn't see a similarity with her French, italian and German speakers talking about that at times, which would basically be the same thing.
They arent the same they have different mindset and even look different from outside. Italian-swiss share much more in common with northern italians than with german-swiss nationals ,so do the french-swiss.

There are groups with mich more similar mindset than others. Most Italians and spaniards would have a huge culture shock If they'd move to Sweden or finland, so would do most japanese moving to China or Vietnam. You guys dont know It because the US has no culture therefore they separate people by skin color, even going by that It would be much easier in europe as european descended americans tend to be very mixed with many different groups (being more often than not pred British Isles + Irish stock) and have not real culture, just consumism . In europe every group is distinctive and has many differences from culture, religion, mentality and even phisical appearance. There are many group that might seem closer but are nothing alike.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM

85 posts, read 214,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Just my experience with Europeans in general..

They may be more tolerant than Americans on average but the ones are "racist" are more upfront about it.. I think Europeans don't have the same sense of political correctness as Americans. (This may or may not be a good thing depending on the individual but in any case, we don't live in a perfect world.)

This is my 2 cents after living in Europe for a few months as an Americanized Asian..
Where In europe did you live?

And you are right most people in europe are way more direct that your average american with the exception of maybe the British culture. This even goes far beyond to other human situations such as dating. Americans are almost never direct, neither they will really mean what they do, for example when they smile, I've noticed in many americans a very fake smile as if they would do those because they think Its a must/correct but not because they really mean it. No wonder the US is such a ****ed up place for human relations, most guys come to forums to complain about americans women or why they feel so bad about the american society, because highly competitiveness and consumism leads to no where, and what gives u as solution the media? pills and any other sort of medicaments in order to make u consume even more but does not solve the problem from its core that is the lifestyle.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
You guys dont know It because the US has no culture therefore they separate people by skin color, even going by that It would be much easier in europe as european descended americans tend to be very mixed with many different groups (being more often than not pred British Isles + Irish stock) and have not real culture, just consumism . In europe every group is distinctive and has many differences from culture, religion, mentality and even phisical appearance. There are many group that might seem closer but are nothing alike.
You seriously believe Seattle = Alabama = Hawaii = Boston = Miami?

Wow! Just wow.

Is that a symptom of Swiss media or Swiss education? Where do you learn that one?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind
You guys dont know It because the US has no culture therefore they separate people by skin color,
"Dishonest mind" should be your monicker. There is no such thing as somewhere having "no culture." If you don't recognize a culture's existence, it is because you are overexposed to it, and think it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind
even going by that It would be much easier in europe as european descended americans tend to be very mixed with many different groups (being more often than not pred British Isles + Irish stock) and have not real culture, just consumism . In europe every group is distinctive and has many differences from culture, religion, mentality and even phisical appearance. There are many group that might seem closer but are nothing alike.
Why are you so hung up on physical characteristics of people? Why can't you let go of your tribalism? (Might as well, since Europeans aren't exactly replacing themselves through births anymore, so in 100 years it will be less and less relevant who is "Italian" vs. who is "Finnish")

You spend an awful lot of posts discussing how Americans are "mixed" peoples - a conglomeration of European mutts. You act as if that is a bad thing. It's not.

More importantly, it's amazingly funny that you believe Europeans never intermixed or married with one another. My Portuguese aunt has a British father. Other cousins in Portugal have French relatives. The Celts and the Iberians intermixed and share many genetic bases, and the German barbarians raped and settled their way through Europe into Italy and Rome years ago. Switzerland itself is a country that can't even figure out what language it wants to speak, and has to rest its culture on chocolate and banking and yodeling.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingssecret11 View Post
I have actually observed that Americans in the bigger cities are mostly closet white supremacists....
Interesting. You think that most of the residents of cities such as Detroit, Baltimore and Memphis are closet white supremacists? That would be ironic.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Well, there's been something of a mad rush among certain American men to seek out and marry Eastern European women ever since the internet came along..

Maybe this trend will now expand to include all European women in general. Everybody needs some good, quality romance in their lives. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-30-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM

331 posts, read 735,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingssecret11 View Post
I am an Indian guy, and I have to agree with the observations, I live in the USA currently been living here since 7 years and so far have had no White girl interested in me or give me a second look, I get plenty of attention from Asian, Indian, Mixed and Black women though, for once I tried dating a White girl but she happened to be stuck up like the rest of the White girls.

European women on the other hand were much more interested in knowing and learning about my culture, although all my conversations with them were based online, I could still sense that they were really interested in learning about other cultures and people from other parts of the world, American White women are usually very ignorant about other cultures and people from other parts of the world and so they tend to look down upon anyone they deem uncool, East Asians and South East Asians are deemed "unmanly" and so looked down upon when it comes to dating, the only beautiful White girls that sleep with Indian men are the ones that go after the Indian guy's money and want to squeeze his wallet or the hookers who work for money, I have never seen an Indian guy ever with a beautiful White girl, on the other hand, I have seen lots of Indian men with very beautiful Asian, Indian, Black, and Mixed women, makes me feel that White American women are very stuckup in their ways.
Do you think it's anything to do with your accent? Do you still have an Indian accent - most women HATE the Indian accent.

I'm from UK (now in LA), East Asian men there aren't considered desirable at all, especially Chinese. East Asian women aren't really that big of a deal there either - the most desirable women are white and Indian. There is a very negative "Mail order bride" stigma against white guys with East Asian women in UK.

This is probably due to demographics - Indians are the biggest minority in UK. I have seen plenty of Indian guys with pretty white girls in UK.

One thing I've noticed about a lot of Indian guys in the US is that they are fresh from India - they're not considered cool, due to accent, fashion sense etc. In UK due to different immigration patterns, most of the Indians guys there under 40 were born there and are pretty mainstream. Lots of white women in UK date south asian guys.

I saw a British TV show last night were 2 women (one mixed race, one white) were competing for an Indian guy. I couldn't imagine that in a US TV show anytime soon.

You also have the Metro PCS adverts which are racist as hell (and would never be allowed on UK TV) giving bad imagery regarding Indian men. Another thing - almost none of the Indian actors/actresses who appear on US TV are good looking! Aziz Ansari, Mindy Kaling etc.

The only decent looking one right now is in Big Bang Theory (Kunnal Nayar) and he plays a nerd! The only Indian guy on US TV I've ever heard non-Indian women rave about is the one who was in Heroes (Sendhil Ramamurthy).

Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xutka View Post

............."truth is, the less educated, the less travelled an american tends to be, the more racist, ignorant,...closed-minded and racially infatuated he/she is. (look at black americans for example, as a social group they are ABSOLUTELY INFATUATED WITH RACE!!!)"

.................Just by chance I happened on this Thread............

By adding "one more descriptive term", I can honestly say I agree 100% with the above Quote by "xutka".

Being at the half-way point in my 80th year, I have come to the conclusion that 80% of the "members-of-our-American Society" are in need of "real-help" when it comes to "inter-acting" and conversing with those that are not part of their "limited, small, close circle of friends". Sad, but very true in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe