Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose cities with top public transportation systems:
Helsinki 2 2.94%
Stockholm 6 8.82%
Vienna 9 13.24%
Hamburg 9 13.24%
Copenhagen 3 4.41%
London 30 44.12%
Frankfurt 8 11.76%
Munich 12 17.65%
Amsterdam 9 13.24%
Budapest 2 2.94%
Madrid 8 11.76%
Paris 19 27.94%
Belgrade 1 1.47%
Barcelona 4 5.88%
Berlin 19 27.94%
Oslo 1 1.47%
Lisbon 1 1.47%
Prague 3 4.41%
Moscow 5 7.35%
Warsaw 0 0%
Rome 1 1.47%
Zurich 2 2.94%
Cologne 5 7.35%
Manchester 1 1.47%
Athens 1 1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 AM

27,605 posts, read 28,706,672 times

Advertisements

On the U.S. city forums, there are constant discussions about the public transportation systems of individual cities. People enthusiastically post maps and data on ridership, route and track lengths, hours of operation, peak hours, future expansions, etc.

So, are Europeans not as interested in these things when it comes to their cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
The Paris transport system is satisfying for tourists, 90% of them using the showcase metro line n°1 that crosses all the Parisian hallmarks in a East-West direction.
But for an actual Parisian who lives in the (close) suburbs like me, the picture is very different, let's say the system is average at best (people on this forum should watch the train carriages at 8:30 in the morning where people are squeezed like lemmings, regularly some people swoon , and pull the emergency brake, trains then stop in the tracks for 15' or 30' or more...and don't get me started on "industrial action"..

Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
London's subway is extremely expensive. And the density and coverage of the outer city can be a bit sparse compared to say, NYC.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 AM

183 posts, read 601,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
How do they decide this when most of those cities have virtually identical transport systems?

I guess peoples experience with the London public transport has been a lot better then that survey shows.. and exactly why I don't take any notice of them.
I'd factor in cost, the amount of coverage, how fast you get you can get to your destination, frequency of trains, quality of the system and stations, safety.

I think London dominates here because many Americans and native English speakers have visited that city but not the others. Compared to US public transportation, aside from large cities in the northeast, London does seem better.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,936,307 times
I have used public transportation in a number of big urban areas and I cannot pick one that is better than the others. I would say that London, Paris and New York are pretty evenly matched. All three have very good commuter rail networks which integrate into their subway/tube/metro networks. All three do a pretty efficient job of moving a large number of people from their homes to their workplace. All three also suffer from the same default. They are great at moving people in and out of the city center but not very good at moving people in any other direction.

One advantage the New York has over the others is the maintenance of low cost underground transport. They can do this because car drivers subsidize underground users through the tolls they pay on the Triborough and other bridges and tunnels.

I have used public transport in other conurbations but the above three are the ones I have most experience of.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 10-29-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,336,143 times
The Metro system in Moscow is the most efficient I've ever seen... the stations are beautiful and the trains are coming in a distance of 60-90 seconds. Once a train left the station you can often see the lights of the next train, aditionally the transfer system is pretty good, as trains in one direction stop at the same platform and you just need to change trains within seconds.

I also voted for Berlin , London and Madrid, because the public transport over there is very good as well.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 AM

142 posts, read 443,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
London's subway is extremely expensive. And the density and coverage of the outer city can be a bit sparse compared to say, NYC.
That's when the London Oveground and other mainline rail providers services come in to use. Not to mention the buses, which run 24hrs a day on popular routes.

Edit: I'd like to add that i voted for London and Madrid - i think the transport infrastructure in the Spanish capital is fantastic and exceptionally good value for money.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,663,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
On the U.S. city forums, there are constant discussions about the public transportation systems of individual cities. People enthusiastically post maps and data on ridership, route and track lengths, hours of operation, peak hours, future expansions, etc.

So, are Europeans not as interested in these things when it comes to their cities?
Nope, it's more that Americans are more obsessed with statistics than us. For example, I know there are 50 US states starting from an original 13 and have been 44 US presidents, five boroughs in New York, etc, but like the vast majority of people here I have no idea how many counties there are in England or how many countries in Europe, how many prime ministers or monarchs we've had, how many boroughs there are in London etc and have no particular interest in finding out as it doesn't matter, it's not considered socially necessary to know these things. I've noticed it even watching golf on TV - the American coverage shows all these statistics on who's made what proportion of putts within a certain distance, who's ranked where in driving distance/accuracy, whereas the British coverage doesn't consider that to be of importance. Also, unlike American cities there are no figures kept here on snowfall averages or record high/low temperatures for specific cities on specific dates, when the first/last frost is, etc.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,863,537 times
I traveled extensively on Paris Metro and London Tube, the only 2 European cities where I lived, studied and worked for several years. On the whole, I agree that European cities have good public transport systems.

Unfortunately, nowadays when I revisit any European cities, I no longer rely much on public transport.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,863,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
According to latest EuroTest, cities with best public transportation are: Munich, Helsinki, Vienna, Prague and Hamburg. London appeared on the bottom of the list.
EuroTest
I'm not so sure about the "best" part. I used the subway in London and Berlin one particularly hot summer , and all I could think of was the air-conditioned train compartments in Asian cities .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe