Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM

896 posts, read 1,865,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The British will get drunk and just sit there- The Irish will get drunk and punch you in the face...I prefer the Brits.
Do you believe everything you see on those old seaside postcards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 AM

896 posts, read 1,865,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland da best View Post
I'm an Irish American 2 bad generation and true irish men from Ireland told me I'm just like them but with American acennt Irish ppl are little tempered funny great strong poll many off us seem to be buff were very put going boy I'm glad I have some Irish blood and for some one Irish to tell me I'm not just any Irish American and I'm just like them make me happy IRELAND RULES SCOTLAND RULES AND **** BRITAMS QUEEN
I take it English is not your spoken language?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,433,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland da best View Post
I'm an Irish American 2 bad generation and true irish men from Ireland told me I'm just like them but with American acennt Irish ppl are little tempered funny great strong poll many off us seem to be buff were very put going boy I'm glad I have some Irish blood and for some one Irish to tell me I'm not just any Irish American and I'm just like them make me happy IRELAND RULES SCOTLAND RULES AND **** BRITAMS QUEEN
Post of the year. What the hell? Post of the century!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,728 times
Default Response to Thread

Ok, I am American born, of Irish descent. I have been to Ireland and Northern Ireland, London, etc. Honestly, Northern Ireland felt more similar to the States, probably because the US is quite anglicized.

I can't honestly answer which group is more fun loving, but they have different characteristics. So much of what defines an Irishman or woman has been determined by history and being a colonized country.

Regarding the 800 years of misery comment, people do not 'get over' something like that, especially since history has a way of repeating itself, if you have not noticed in other regions of the world. I wish the best for everyone, but I think that is a trite comment, to dismiss the right of an entire group of people, who have not had self-determination.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:15 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,081,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting choice...Americans think Mass is kind of 'English'. I think it's more 18th century English than anything like today's England. Culturally it's probably more Irish now.

No, New England is American, no English at all, at least not modern England. They might have been similar to England 200 years ago, but not much according to Lafayette. I'd say they are way wealthier.

Irish tend to be more friendly, less full of air, more homogeneous class structure and they speak a different language, some do have an accent that sometimes resembles American. They have a very quick temperament, they go from peaceful to rowdy in no time and they love their drink....many years ago, they used to sing a lot when they got roughed, but English also do that.

Last edited by Miserere; 09-14-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,209,095 times
It depends on the person but an English person will usually be quite distant from an Irish person.
Most Irish people have quite a large dislike against English people.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I should add less uptight-reserved than the English too. Less hung up about class, manners and all that crap.
You watch far too much 'Miss Marple!' :-)

Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
All the things mentioned above but far less diverse in manners and thought than the English.
Living the best part of a year in Ireland i did find the it more parochial than England and at the time more racist.
Even so a lot of fun. A well functioning liver would be a standard requirement and make the most of the moment as tomorrow may not come seemed to be a philosophy with some.
Excuse me but I am Northern Irish and I do NOT drink, intact no one in my family drinks. I hate alcohol, it is a poison and contributes to many deaths in this country.

I am not going to sit and let someone generalise and say that the Irish are a bunch of drunks because that is NOT true.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Have you been to the UK in the last 30 years? The stiff upper lip thing is all but dead. The country has changed even in the 7 years since I left. It's become more continental European in some ways and people are 1,000 times more open about sex than they used to be.

The Irish...tend to be more religious (catholic, but they don't impose it on you) have stronger family ties, a different sense of humour and welcoming, in my experience having traveled to the Republic a lot.

I wish the British still had manners.
Its actually not, there is still a large amount of traditional English people who would adopt sarcasm in their jokes. Personally I don't get the whole stiff upper lip thing, to me it just comes across as stuck up I mean if they 'aren't allowed to cry' obviously they must think they are superior to the rest of the world.

Whats wrong with crying anyway?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The state of Massachusetts. Former British colony...we should take it back and give 'em free health care and proper sports in return (j/k).

I've never really given much thought to Australia. I actually planned on moving to Sweden before I met my American wife and plans changed.
Thats because they are probably the stuck up business men who commute to Boston or New York who do NOT live in the real world not having any idea how to live like a normal British person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe