Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

They seem more outgoing, more fun-loving, hot-tempered but quick to settle things, more conservative, family-orientated, the Celtic women seem strong-willed too, especially red-heads .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
They're more like the Scots.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM

I should add less uptight-reserved than the English too. Less hung up about class, manners and all that crap.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Feeling a bit anti-English this evening?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
All the things mentioned above but far less diverse in manners and thought than the English.
Living the best part of a year in Ireland i did find the it more parochial than England and at the time more racist.
Even so a lot of fun. A well functioning liver would be a standard requirement and make the most of the moment as tomorrow may not come seemed to be a philosophy with some.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I should add less uptight-reserved than the English too. Less hung up about class, manners and all that crap.
Have you been to the UK in the last 30 years? The stiff upper lip thing is all but dead. The country has changed even in the 7 years since I left. It's become more continental European in some ways and people are 1,000 times more open about sex than they used to be.

The Irish...tend to be more religious (catholic, but they don't impose it on you) have stronger family ties, a different sense of humour and welcoming, in my experience having traveled to the Republic a lot.

I wish the British still had manners.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
They are definitely more like the Scottish than the English, but far more like the English than Americans.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

57 posts, read 105,059 times
Quote:
that is true, along with your other observations in your first posting. i lived there for a year, and the irish strike me as more happy-go-lucky than the uptight tommies. definitely more fun to live in Eire than in the UK.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Have you been to the UK in the last 30 years? The stiff upper lip thing is all but dead. The country has changed even in the 7 years since I left. It's become more continental European in some ways and people are 1,000 times more open about sex than they used to be.

The Irish...tend to be more religious (catholic, but they don't impose it on you) have stronger family ties, a different sense of humour and welcoming, in my experience having traveled to the Republic a lot.

I wish the British still had manners.
Hopefully this year but I've met and travelled with more English people than I can count so I know them pretty well. They all tend to be young, but I also deal with many older English migrants here in Australia.

Yes of course they're more open with sex, but I find they're often still a bit reserved. Most do have manners, at least the ones I meet, but the ones that don't...oh boy!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Hopefully this year but I've met and travelled with more English people than I can count so I know them pretty well. They all tend to be young, but I also deal with many older English migrants here in Australia.

Yes of course they're more open with sex, but I find they're often still a bit reserved. Most do have manners, at least the ones I meet, but the ones that don't...oh boy!
I've lived in many parts of the UK. It really varies by region. The stereotypical British person would generally be someone from Surrey, middle or upper class. I didn't really mingle with people like that and all of my friends back home are certainly not reserved or shy about discussing sex. Like the US though, we suffer from substandard sex education in school and high levels of teenage pregnancy.

British TV has become increasingly raunchy and vulgar over the last 3 decades. I've noticed it.

Manners...I'd have agreed with you 50 years ago, but I don't think we're any better or worse than anywhere else. We have a very degenerate chav culture which is anything but mannered.

British emigrants tend to be quite wealthy people for the most part (except me) and not necessarily a valid means to judge British people in general. To put it bluntly, I tried to meet expats by joining groups, but most of them were complete and utter wankers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe