Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 06:04 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well, yes people should get over it! It is in the PAST! For goodness sake Germans are not hated because of what Hitler did & that is in much more recent history...

It is because silly American's (whos great, great, great, great, great aunt thrice removed was from Cork) have this bizarre notion that they are Irish & that they should somehow keep raking up & make people pay for things which were done long, long ago in the past... The IRA was largely funded by such ignorant American's with a ridiculous misplaced loyalty...

Most actual Irish people, who were born & live in Ireland, got over it long ago, so those pseudo Irish American's really should too...
Exactly! The Irish are always going ON and ON about what the English did 800 years ago! I can't see what the problem is as there have been battles etc in other countries and they have moved on!

Why can't the Irish just move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 12:58 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Exactly! The Irish are always going ON and ON about what the English did 800 years ago! I can't see what the problem is as there have been battles etc in other countries and they have moved on!

Did you read FlamingGalah's post that you quoted? The Irish have moved on. This is what people have been telling you. Have you read about any sectarian unrest in the Republic of Ireland?

Old 09-20-2014, 03:43 AM

The Irish haven't moved on thats the thing.

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-22-2014 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:

To the Irish, WW2 have happened - 55 million were killed. They called WW2 "The Emergency". The Irish will never progress until they get the past from the front of their minds and look to the future. Since independence they have been a poor nation. It is best they have a vote like the Scots to go back into the UK.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 AM

oh dear you are treading on very very thin water..

Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
This thread will get locked because some people are trying to bait people. I've stated the Irish have moved on but some don't want to accept this and want to argue about it. I'm not buying into this because from experience on here the outcome will be a locked thread.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM

212 posts, read 689,241 times
I didn't read through all the back and forth that's been going on, but from my (admittedly niche) perspective as a young black American woman who spent six months in England and six months in Ireland, I found the Irish to be more personable and friendly. It's not that the English were rude; on the contrary, the Englishmen and women I encountered were quite polite. But it was a stiff politeness, almost as if they were being polite for the sake of custom rather than genuine social interest. I can't explain it...

Meanwhile, the Irishmen and women I encountered were almost too open, and would stand and chat with me for ages. I felt more at ease talking to the Irish people I met, simply because I got the feeling they actually wanted to engage in conversation. Random people at bus stops would converse with me as though we had been best friends for years. I suppose some people would find that kind of familiarity from strangers rather off-putting, but as someone thousands of miles away from home, I thought it was refreshing. To each their own.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Yes you are right, I am well aware of this as the Americans/Canadians often do come to Ireland and take advantage of the Irish.

I have Canadian cousins and they come and visit us and stay in our house and basically pay nothing for food or even staying here. So one time we went over to visit them in (the dump of Winnipeg) and they made us stay in the basement and pay for our own food. My uncle who owns are a car business then proceeded to give us a clapped out Toyota that was about 10 years old and had no AC with broken windows.

I remember coming in from a 6 hour drive from Minneapolis and asking for a drink and then being told that I would have to go out to the shop and buy my own.

As you can guess we have not returned to visit and we will not be returning to visit either.

Last edited by Summerwhale; 09-20-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Another thing Americans do is constantly run down Ireland and pretend that they are above Irish people and that the Irish are poor living in slums.

If we are so poor I wonder how they think we can afford to visit them.
Their ignorance is atrocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
I didn't read through all the back and forth that's been going on, but from my (admittedly niche) perspective as a young black American woman who spent six months in England and six months in Ireland, I found the Irish to be more personable and friendly. It's not that the English were rude; on the contrary, the Englishmen and women I encountered were quite polite. But it was a stiff politeness, almost as if they were being polite for the sake of custom rather than genuine social interest. I can't explain it...

Meanwhile, the Irishmen and women I encountered were almost too open, and would stand and chat with me for ages. I felt more at ease talking to the Irish people I met, simply because I got the feeling they actually wanted to engage in conversation. Random people at bus stops would converse with me as though we had been best friends for years. I suppose some people would find that kind of familiarity from strangers rather off-putting, but as someone thousands of miles away from home, I thought it was refreshing. To each their own.
We tried this in America and they give us dirty looks constantly as if were some sort of dirty homeless people
Americans don't seem to like eye contact either.. I had a few people staring me out for looking at them once.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 PM

212 posts, read 689,241 times
Quote:
We tried this in America and they give us dirty looks constantly as if were some sort of dirty homeless people
Americans don't seem to like eye contact either.. I had a few people staring me out for looking at them once.
That's unfortunate, I'm sorry that happened. The United States is a massive country, so attitudes vary depending on what state you're in. For instance, a person born and bred in New York City, a person born and bred in Memphis, Tennessee, a person born and bred in Molokai, Hawaii, and a person born and bred in Albuquerque, New Mexico (such as myself) are all equally American, yet I wouldn't doubt the social etiquette differs so much between the four that they all may as well be from different countries.

Hopefully you'll have better luck on your next visit, if you decide to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe