Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matematik View Post
I've noticed particularly the French and German media refers to the British and the Americans as if they're almost the same nationality, using terms such as "Anglo-American", "Anglo-Saxon", "British/Americans", etc.

Saying America and the UK are similar is like saying Spain and Mexico are similar, or even France and Gabon.
I can only speak for Germany and here the term Anglo-American does not imply that British and American are the same but that some aspects are the same or similar. For example, this term is often used for the American and British legal system which from a continental point of view is the same.

But I somewhat agree. This term is sometimes used where it should not be.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokassa View Post
I am in the tourist industry in a town in Spain that is relatively expensive. English tourists here do not lower the tone at all since they tend to be cultured and not poor.

Other places specialize in MASS TOURISM (package tourists), but Spaniards don't complain because they go to other places or during other seasons (a big country). On the other hand, other tourists complain a lot about their behaviour when they don't behave any better.

But not really, nobody complains about British tourists except Bachelor's Parties (they pee everywhere). British are like furniture, they have been coming for generations.
LOL, that's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages. Just about fell out of my chair from laughing.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Quote:
I've never understood why Brits think there is a special relationship with the US. There is no special relationship, in fact, a lot of Americans don't like Britain and ridicule us as a country.

The US government policy of refering to the Falklands as "Las Malvinas" shows what they really think of the UK.

If the US does have a favourite country in Europe, it is almost certainly Ireland before the UK. All Americans like Ireland, whereas American opinions on the UK are mixed at best.

In fact, recently Obama said that France was undoubtedly America's greatest friend in Europe and Obama's visit to Ireland was far warmer and more genuine than his UK visit was.
I disagree about the weird bond the US and UK have. If god forbid London had a horrible terrorist attack, you'd see benefit telethons here with all the popular Brit celebs like Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey and Ricky Gervais and Americans all opening up their pocketbooks for relief and it'd be almost as much outrage than if it happened in the US. Americans make fun of British people a lot and say they have bad teeth and are stuffy but there is a massive cultural bond. The media reported nonstop on William and Kate's wedding as if it were our royal family and people were obsessed with it. I remember when Princess Diana died Americans were shocked and felt like they lost their own princess. Remember that the Elton John tribute Candle in the Wind was the best selling single EVER in America and its not like he was a particularly hot artist in 1997.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 AM

16 posts, read 15,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Again?
When in history have France and Germany been "playing together"?
-----

That I recall...during the so-called occupation. Both countries became one, a love affair or more of a shotgun wedding. That has been going on since then.

The resistance was a myth and most maquisards were either communists or Spanish, not Monsieur Dupont. There was a full collaboration.

I'm not revealing a secret, but some French don't accept it because of their grandeur.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokassa View Post
-----

That I recall...during the so-called occupation. Both countries became one, a love affair or more of a shotgun wedding. That has been going on since then.
You are talking of 4 years occupation. That does not count.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
????

I have never heard/read a continental European (wtf is this stupid term?) refer to British and U.S. nationals as being identical.

I know the U.S. media likes to hire Australian actors to look physically more British in Hollywood movies, but Europeans are not dumb, they know the U.S. is the world's melting pot.
Huh? the US media does not go recruiting for Aussie actors. Many aussie actors come here to pursue their career due to limited opportunities back home.

The fact is the dominant nationality in media is still... American. Ever hear of voice coaches? They can train any actor to speak in different accents.

Australians are not dominant in TV or movies by any means.. This year not even one Aussie is nominated for an Oscar. That should tell you something.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I've never understood why Brits think there is a special relationship with the US. There is no special relationship, in fact, a lot of Americans don't like Britain and ridicule us as a country.

The US government policy of refering to the Falklands as "Las Malvinas" shows what they really think of the UK.

If the US does have a favourite country in Europe, it is almost certainly Ireland before the UK. All Americans like Ireland, whereas American opinions on the UK are mixed at best.

In fact, recently Obama said that France was undoubtedly America's greatest friend in Europe and Obama's visit to Ireland was far warmer and more genuine than his UK visit was.
Ahem so much wrong in the above. Yes there is a special bond between the US and the UK. The UK has supported the US in all the recemnt wars. All Is presidents have considered the UK the US' best friend. Obama was the first to mention France. Remember the FREEDOM FRY debacle of years back?

The CIA Factbook refers to the Falklands in both names
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/fk.html

Americans love the Brits, where you here during the coverage of the royal wedding? They're more favored than the French. Irish-Americans of course favore Irelnd.

Its obvious you are anti-British. I don't love the Brits, btw, I'm a Francophile, but felt compelled to write a rebuttal to the egregious claims you have made.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I don't know, but this thread sort of reminded me... I recently discovered that people from the UK don't consider themselves europeans.

They refer to Germans, Italians, French, etc. as "Europeans". Just interesting, thought I'd share. Discovered this while traveling recently.
They're europeans but they're not from the continent.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Huh? the US media does not go recruiting for Aussie actors. Many aussie actors come here to pursue their career due to limited opportunities back home.

The fact is the dominant nationality in media is still... American. Ever hear of voice coaches? They can train any actor to speak in different accents.

Australians are not dominant in TV or movies by any means.. This year not even one Aussie is nominated for an Oscar. That should tell you something.
There has been a glut of British and Australian actors and actresses infiltrating Hollywood though over the years. It used to be that British actors were only to play the bumbling idiot Hugh Grant type roles. Now we have the like of Christian Bale, Jason Statham, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Gerard Butler who have infiltrated the generally American Hollywood action movie star role.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
They're europeans but they're not from the continent.
Distantly, we all are. There's just a lot of Euroscepticism, which I do not agree with. We have more in common with other northern European nations than we do with the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe