Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieswen View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your helpful advice, both about the local German schools and where to look for housing. I am encouraged by many of your positive comments.

Annie

If your children don't speak a poke of German, they will put them in special classes and will loose grades. In the case there are no immigrants (quite strange in Germany), the kids in those classes will have impairments, will be very slow learners and the end result will be catastrophic. Don't pay attention to Germans, but to foreign people that went though the process. American HS have nothing to do with German schools, luckily for Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,865 times
As for the school system: If your children don't speak German very well they might indeed not end up in the highest, university-preparatory school (Gymnasium) right away or they might have to repeat a year. Perhaps you can also look into Gesamtschulen in which this switch between the school branches seems to be easier. However, no idea about the general quality of education there. I know of quite a few immigrants who went there (with little knowledge of German in the beginning) and most of them made their Abitur.
Your youngest ones will go to a grade school and should have enough time to adapt before they are put into one of the 3 following schools (after the 4th or 6th grade). The whole process is said to be easiest for grade school children.

Unless they end up in a poor, inner city ghetto Hauptschule nothing of what a few posters here suggested will happen. I assume you'll be moving to a more suburban kind of environment, so don't worry too much about it. If you decide on moving to Germany I would urge you to teach your children German as soon as you can because that will simplify a lot of things. If you are too worried about all that you shouldn't take any forumer's advice (especially not from ones who do not even live in Germany) but contact the local Schulamt in order to find out where your children would end up in the public school system and if that's not what you want, send them to an international/bilingual school. I am sure there are plenty in the Cologne area.

Beer is also not sold at any high school, what a nonsense.

Last edited by Rob702; 06-08-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 AM

326 posts, read 673,359 times
Good advice from Rob. make sure they learn as much German as they can before arriving here. That will make a world of difference.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Annie

Don't pay attention to Germans, but to foreign people that went though the process.
More nonsense!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 54,493 times
I appreciate the advice from German people or people who did live in Germany, since that is where we will be living ! We have already begun a few small phrases with the children, and we will indeed continue the process when we find out our move is definite (we will find out next Tuesday). I have another question for those who are German or who have lived in Germany : a friend of mine who lives in Cologne has mentioned that for local German public schools, cost after the first child is free. I have not heard back from her about this, so I am wondering what that means exactly, since everything I have read says that primary schooling in the state schools are free. Can anyone explain this to me? We would not be sending our 4 year old to kindergarten. She would just stay with me until school is required for her, at primary school age. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM

326 posts, read 673,359 times
Public schools are free. There is a small charge for attending universities in certain States.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM

667 posts, read 940,702 times
Here you can find a good house you need.

Wohnungen Köln: Wohnung mieten, kaufen in Köln bei immowelt.de
A good advice for you:

Avoid areas with many muslim imigrants.

Germans like US-Americans, it will be few problems with natives

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieswen View Post
friend of mine who lives in Cologne has mentioned that for local German public schools, cost after the first child is free. I have not heard back from her about this, so I am wondering what that means exactly, since everything I have read says that primary schooling in the state schools are free. Can anyone explain this to me? We would not be sending our 4 year old to kindergarten. She would just stay with me until school is required for her, at primary school age. Thanks in advance for your help!
Don't worry, Germany has good schools and kindergartens, anything is free or affordable.If you do not want to send your child to kindergarten no one will demand it from you.The quality of German public schools is at least three times higher as the US's ones.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Public schools are free. There is a small charge for attending universities in certain States.
But not in NRW.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post
The ultimate goal being that they qualify for university in Germany.

Children should begin to study German Language, the better they know German the better are their chances by education. To achieve a qualification for an University they must have Abitur which can be make by Gymnasiums or Gesamtschules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe