Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
All Europeans know that US dealt better with race relations.
Oh do they? Maybe better just speak for yourself because I beg to differ and I do not think that the US dealt better with that issue at all. I'm not saying there is no racism in Europe because there definitely is, but in the States, too. Actually, I believe that pretty much every place in the world has racism.
How do you think the US dealt better with it? Yes, race is a very touchy subject for Americans, but that doesn't mean they're not racist. Whites get married to Whites, Blacks to other Blacks, Asians to other Asians, etc. Whites discriminate against the minorities, the minorities against each other and the Whites... the fact alone that there is a census that counts how many people of each race live in the country would be considered racist by most of my German friends. My former university is located in a city with a large black population (more than 40%), yet the student body was overwhelmingly white, at least 85%. The city is also de facto segregated and experiences a lot of white flight whenever black or hispanic people move to their neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,471 times
I know about your country, I lived through two race riots there.
Not comparable, we have no black ghettos or anything resembling black ghettos.
Nobody gets "chopped up" because they get lost and ends in a wrong place.
You are a different country with a different history and informed Europeans know you are trying to deal with the problem in a peaceful and democratic manner.
Europe can't give lessons to the US because minorities here were exterminated, expelled or burned at the stake.
Germans or Spanish can't teach a thing about race relations to the US because we exterminated, expelled or burned minorities.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
I think the situations in each place are pretty different. But I've never been to Europe, so I can't comment on racial relations there first-hand.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM

231 posts, read 506,242 times
Rob

The US dealt with the issue with Civil Rights, Affirmative Action, Separate but Equal, etc. Europe dealt with minorities exterminating them or packing them to America (I'm including religious minorities).

In 1492, Spain was very "diverse" (not racially but religiously). Moorish were expelled at the beginning of the XVIIth Century, and they were Ethnic Spanish and converts to Catholicism. Jews were expelled in 1492, and they were from 5 to 8 percent of the population, Gypsies were prosecuted by the Inquisition and many were expelled. Blacks were expelled to Cuba and protestants were burned at the stake.

I do not need to mention what Germans, Serbians, etc, did past century.

This is the European way of dealing with minorities.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
Rob

The US dealt with the issue with Civil Rights, Affirmative Action, Separate but Equal, etc. Europe dealt with minorities exterminating them or packing them to America (I'm including religious minorities).

In 1492, Spain was very "diverse" (not racially but religiously). Moorish were expelled at the beginning of the XVIIth Century, and they were Ethnic Spanish and converts to Catholicism. Jews were expelled in 1492, and they were from 5 to 8 percent of the population, Gypsies were prosecuted by the Inquisition and many were expelled. Blacks were expelled to Cuba and protestants were burned at the stake.

I do not need to mention what Germans, Serbians, etc, did past century.

This is the European way of dealing with minorities.
Are you conjoncillo's new account?

I didn't know we were talking about history. All the events you described happened quite some time ago and are not what the situation in Europe is like today. There is no ethnic cleansing in Europe any more in case you didn't notice.

If you want to talk history, how about klling miillions of Native Americans, decades of slavery and segregation, ghettoization of Asian immigrants? The US didn't deal with their minorities any better than Europeans. How could they? After all, the American majority consists of Europeans and their descendants. Racism is still prevalent in the US to this day. It isn't a racism-free utopia.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 AM

231 posts, read 506,242 times
Yes, I changed my browser and had to change nick.
I am not talking about the past, I do not consider 1945 or 1993 "remote past".
There are no ethnic cleansing because all minorities were exterminated, the new ones arriving are a VERY recent phenomena.
I am not referring to killings and extermination of non-white people, such a thing was considered perfectly normal a couple of generations ago, even approved by the church.
I am referring to Halocausts performed by Europeans on other Europeans.
Decades of slavery? Any American black slave had a better live than a European peasant. A black slave in America was a prized piece of equipment, a poor European peasant was a piece of excrement only usable as cannon fodder.
As to ghettoes, your entire country is a ghetto.
The US is a compartimentilized society, "ghettified", just as Europe in the Middle Ages. The problem in Europe is that most "historical" ghettos were "gentrified" (inhabitants exterminated).
Race? People in this continent have been killing themselves for every imaginable reason, but race is not important among Europeans as today. Your adscription to a Football Club is more important.
For example, a black in Europe 150 years ago was a "suntuary item", they worked as servants, ushers, etc. A local Noblemen had a black servant some 150 years ago and he worked collecting taxes and levies on peasants, they were scared of him because he represented power. A Chinese made a fortune with theaters, etc.
I do not think that Europe is particularly different, after all most European settlers were exterminated in Africa, many Asian countries, North Africa. The Americas and Australia were the only sucessful settlement ventures.

Last edited by Torquemation; 08-12-2012 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barclays View Post
Europe isn't even wiling to talk about it because most Europeans think they're countries have no race problem.
That remark might have been true in the nineties (the super-politically-correct era) because our politicians and intellectuals deemed everyone daring to talk about race issues immediately as racists. However, I can assure that since nine-eleven, there's a very open, very lively discussion about our multicultural society going on in which not many taboos are spared.

Most Europeans I know of are VERY well aware of the fact that we have race problems here. Also in the media, racism and the problems with the integration of our large muslim minorities are widely debated, discussed, etc.

So get your facts straight before you make these kind of statements, because it's downright false.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporaryBrahs View Post
I mean it is like the thought of interracial dating disturbs Europeans and makes them EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. It is truly insane, I may have to cancel my trip to Europe.
Thats BS. There is a lot of "mixed-race" people and "interacial" dating in Western Europe. Places like London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Brussels and Stockholm have quite significant numbers of "biracial/binational" residents. Probably London alone has more interracial citizens than a lot of major U.S. cities.

In regard to these "race threads" being closed; I guess thats more due to "political correctness" and the fact that most Europeans aren't that focused on "race". For instance, in Germany or France most average people do not talk that often about "racial perceptions" as some Americans do.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporaryBrahs View Post
I have not been to Europe but from what I gather on here, race relations there SUCK. I mean you have users being BANNED, I mean BANNED for posting about

1. Dating European women
2. Wanting to go to Europe

now to be fair, RussiaOnline (member from a pretty racist country) is one of the users responsible but that is EXACTLY what I have found to be true. I mean it is like the thought of interracial dating disturbs Europeans and makes them EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. It is truly insane, I may have to cancel my trip to Europe.
I am pretty sure you will find just as many racists in the United States (compared to Western Europe). Actually, I think interracial marriage is more of an issue in America than in Western Europe.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Having moved from Belgium to North america it's so true that theres more discrimination in Europe but people don't talk about that or ignore it.
Here people talk more about races, diversity ..but in a more positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe