Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times

Advertisements

Yes, they are working on it now.

Does France deserve its reputation for rudeness? - USATODAY.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
I have never experienced rudeness in France. Maybe they dislike Americans in general? .

Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
No the rude people are the italians they drive all over you. The spanish are the nice ones..

Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I think, Americans just look for every reason not to like the French...
It might go both ways, but I never really experienced them to be any more rude than anyone else.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have never experienced rudeness in France. Maybe they dislike Americans in general? .

No, they are already busy feuding with the British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It might go both ways, but I never really experienced them to be any more rude than anyone else.
Well, did you read the article?

Quote:
"We're so rude," admits 34-year-old French teacher Stephane Gomez, as he comes out of a Paris metro station. "France lacks the civic sense that you find in Anglo-Saxon countries."
Quote:
"It's so easy to be polite, but we don't do it," says 30-year-old Zahia Sebahi. "I never see someone give up their seat for an elderly person."
Quote:
But Paris's public transport authority is leading the fight-back in a summer-long publicity campaign against rudeness.
Billboards depicting Frenchmen with animal heads have dominated metro stations; they target passengers who are rude to staff and push and shove. "If you shove five people getting onboard," the posters say, "it won't make us set off faster." Bus ads read: "One bonjour doesn't cost a penny, and it changes your day."
Quote:
"But we've been alerted by our staff that there is a real problem."
Quote:
"In 2012, one thing is clear; the French are irritated and want a return to good manners. They've had enough of rudeness … reached a limit," says Lise Brunet, IPSOS's director of trend studies.
Quote:
rudeness is also a concern for tourism companies - especially as France feels the bite of the financial crisis.
Quote:
"We're very aware of the problem making tourists feel welcome," says Fanny Moutel, communications director for Atout France
Those aren't Americans. They are French.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I've never experienced anything but kindness, friendliness and helpfulness in France. London, on the other hand, was the polar opposite. Maybe those who experience rudeness in France don't speak the language. In many countries, that makes an enormous difference. People are thrilled that a foreigner made the effort to learn their language, and they really open up. I can't relate to the article at all. The French are a Latin people; it means they're naturally warm (compared to the reserved Germanic peoples, including some Brits).

Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,674 times
This article focuses on Paris, a city which is, for the rest of the French, also known as the mecca of rudeness. In other places it's less common (although it's still there, more than in many other European countries I've visited).

Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
In my experience, Parisians are wonderful. Maybe they're rude to each other, like some New Yorkers...? Maybe they've developed a tough shell towards each other.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM

341 posts, read 641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know about 25 years old American girl who never been outside of her state but she hate France and French people. She doesn't want to go in French restaurant. I asked her why? She answered because she doesn't like them. An in my opinion she is not alone...

Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
This article focuses on Paris, a city which is, for the rest of the French, also known as the mecca of rudeness. In other places it's less common (although it's still there, more than in many other European countries I've visited).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In my experience, Parisians are wonderful. Maybe they're rude to each other, like some New Yorkers...? Maybe they've developed a tough shell towards each other.
I've generally always found the French to be very nice and helpful, including Parisians, but I live here and speak French so it's a bit different. Other French people will often scoff at Parisians, but I get the feeling a lot of tourists who think Parisians are rude also aren't very familiar with life in a big city, similar idea of how people interpret New Yorkers as rude or just blunt/direct depending on your perspective.

Also, after living here for several years I frequently find tourists to be very rude as well a lot of the times... and usually way more annoying... and there are a whole lot of them in Paris...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe