Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No, It didn't. The number of people even in NI who travel to work by plane is substantial. My local airport has loads of people who travel by plane to work in London back and forward in the same day. The UK is a country that uses plane travel frequently.
You'll find that the UK is just as bad with security as the USA. They make us put liquids into plastic bags, Take off our shoes, take off our belts, go through a body scanner... You get it.
OK, that's interesting. But in the US, a lot of people have abandoned air travel for train or car, there's been a bit of media discussion of that. In the US, commuting to work by air is a luxury affordable only to a few, anyway. I was referring to air travel for leisure travel. In the US. But thanks for the report from across the Pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It was one of the Finns who posted he rides a bike in winter, not me. And no one said anything about taking a family to the movies on bikes, or taking a family anywhere on a bike. Knock off the lies and misrepresentations. I've never mentioned bikes, except to ask the Finnish poster about it, and I don't think erasure has, either.
It's easy to mix you and Erasure, you are both Russian, both live in the US and both post utter nonsence most of the time like bicycles being an alternative to cars.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
It's easy to mix you and Erasure, you are both Russian
Look Rebel, you seems to be more and more confused and disoriented lately, I think it's becoming a bit of concern...

Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
I live in the US and my last dwelling, you didn't need a car for basic necessities. Everything was nearby and well-served by public transportation. I also walked to school and work as well. Its in a suburb of a major city which can be easily accessible by train.

Of course if I go see a friend or groceries, I'll drive.

Any desolate place outside major metro areas would need a car no question. Europe is too diverse and large to generalize. I like being in a city as it attracts me the most, so for the most part, I wouldn't need a car in those cities.

Don't forget Europe also has a wide option of cars. They even have cars smaller than Mini Coopers if you'd like and that may make buying a car cheaper. Plus, if you are in a rural area, everything will be cheaper (car insurance, housing, etc).

Old 09-29-2012, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Real suburbs anywhere are relatively easy to spot from the air. They tend to be very regular, with parallel roads, everything is very geometrical. And they are anywhere where there is a strong or growing middle class, particularly upper middle class, be it in the US, in Europe, in India, in Angola, in Brazil, ...

Old 09-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
It's funny that someone commented that not everyone has an hour or two daily to "waste", walking to work or grocery shop. This is the absurdity of life in America: people are addicted to cars, then they pay a substantial sum of money for gym membership, and "waste" an hour or more at the gym several times a week, running in place on machines, when they could be getting that exercise for free.
Absurd is your lack of common sense. I don't have time for an hour long walk in a summer heat or winter cold on my way to work or from work.
I don't want to take my kids for an hour long walks every time they want to visit friends or need to go to a doctor.
When I want to exercise it is at the time that is convenient for me, at the time that I can sweat and after that take a shower.

Both you Ruth and your friend Erasure are supposedly Russians who spent their young years in Soviet Union. You are not really Europeans in a sense that you experience of gowing up in Soviet Union or Russia is drastically different from the experience of young Germans or Brits or French growing up in the same time.

You need to understand that Soviet urban planning was based on public transportation model not because it was a higher form of transportation or was more efficcient but simply because Soviet Union's economy could not provide affordable cars to their citizens the way German of French economies were. People in Soviet Union did not drive cars not because they preffered public transportation or walking bust simply because cars were beyond reach for most Russians

Soviet Urban planning built entire cities AROUND heavy industry complexes so they could provide workers to these complexes.
Americans, and most people in the world, don't like to live next to industrial complexes, that's not healthy environment to raise your kids.
Americans like single family houses and and big yards and that's why many move to the suburbs.

You Ruth don't like suburbs and would rather live in cramped apartment than a big house with a yard, that's your preference, But don't try to sell us the old Soviet urban model with people living within 15 minutes away from factories and in ugly soviet style apartment buildings as a holly grail of urban planning and quality of life.

Last edited by rebel12; 09-29-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Real suburbs anywhere are relatively easy to spot from the air. They tend to be very regular, with parallel roads, everything is very geometrical. And they are anywhere where there is a strong or growing middle class, particularly upper middle class, be it in the US, in Europe, in India, in Angola, in Brazil, ...
Exactly. Our Russians here think that suburbs are an American invention while suburbs are present everywhere in the world. The ability to move to a big house in the suburbs reflects a social advance everywhere in the world.

Last edited by rebel12; 09-29-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 02:37 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I am not so sure it has to do with big families, the average household size in the US is 2.6 people
I think it has more to do with land and gas being cheap and readily available, with crime in US inner cities, etc.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
OK, that's interesting. But in the US, a lot of people have abandoned air travel for train or car, there's been a bit of media discussion of that.
What media? That's not true. Airplanes in the US are still the cheapest long-distance mode of transportation.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not so sure it has to do with big families, the average household size in the US is 2.6 people
I think it has more to do with land and gas being cheap and readily available, with crime in US inner cities, etc.
Well yes, so are you saying that in Europe there is a "white flight" from cities to suburban area - the kind that took place in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe