Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 PM

30 posts, read 52,530 times

Advertisements

So for a month I will be staying in Sweden and I am from the USA.

How hard is it in your experience for a Westerner to fit into mainland European countries? Any experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
What do you mean by a Westerner? Most of Europe is the West.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What do you mean by a Westerner? Most of Europe is the West.
Westerner = Australian, American, or Canadian, in some cases even British.

Where I live, European = anyone from the mainland continent of Europe

Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,334,386 times
You will be ok.
Just don't give up if people doesn't open up in the first five minutes.
It takes a while to learn to know us.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post

Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,865 times
Swedes are Westeners, too. I think your definition is off.

Anyway, whether you fit in or not as a "Westener" has more to do with your attitude and personality than where you're from.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
I think hes referring to the anglophone world. In all honesty I agree with his definition, I think culturally Brits are much closer to those countries than mainland Europeans.

Now Op, I really have no experience with this so i'm sure someone else will see you through, I would just say that all countries in Europe are different so maybe you should be a little bit more specific. I would just maybe learn about the humour and stuff of the country you are visiting before going as you may need to be prepared.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I think hes referring to the anglophone world. In all honesty I agree with his definition, I think culturally Brits are much closer to those countries than mainland Europeans.

Now Op, I really have no experience with this so i'm sure someone else will see you through, I would just say that all countries in Europe are different so maybe you should be a little bit more specific. I would just maybe learn about the humour and stuff of the country you are visiting before going as you may need to be prepared.
thank you

Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post

Where I live, European = anyone from the mainland continent of Europe
Then the word you are looking for is not Westerner, but Anglo. A Westerner is any person that is of European stock.

You'll be fine in Sweden. Speak a bit of Swedish and you'll have them melt like putty in your hands. I spent a week in Germany in a family reunion and spoke basic German and spent my time in small towns and villages and the locals were very impressed with my German pronunciation (even if my vocabulary was limited). So, learn some Swedish, try to reduce your accent and the people will love you.

Another note too, don't get political with people, Europeans tend to be extremely opinionated and defensive when politics becomes the topic of discussion, especially when one of the people is not a native of the country. That's something best left swept under the rug. If people ask you stupid questions like do you like Sarah Palin, own 50 guns, etc. just say sorry I don't talk about politics. It keeps things veeeery simple and easy to handle

Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Then the word you are looking for is not Westerner, but Anglo. A Westerner is any person that is of European stock.
Actually a Westerner is anyone from a country rooted culturally in the Western Roman Empire, so that excludes countries that traditionally adhere to Eastern Orthodox religions, like Russia, as these peoples cultural roots are in The Eastern Empire centred, on old Byzantium. So basically, countries that are Protestant or Catholic (or used to be one of these).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe