Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No they weren't. Sorry but this really annoys me when Americans say they are european or irish or whatever. You are american nothing else.

Ive heard this before from people who live acrost the pond. We dont do this to offend Europeans or confuse them, but it has to do with our history and how this nation was built. Here in the USA we do have alot of people who identify with thier ancestors and thier nations of origin. Considering we are a nation of immigrants I dont think this is that strange. American culture is a combination of English, German, Irish and other European traditions. Most people know what tradition thier families come from, and to many of us it is important to us. The eastern states have alot of Italians and eastern Europeans. I live in the upper midwest and here Germans are a large group. New England and New York also have alot of Irish people. English is present everywhere and it is the most dominant ancestory. (obviously, as we were their colony) We still identify with being American first, but this tie to the old countries is part of our history. Because of this we probably have access to more cultures and ethnic food than any nation on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,549,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I often have a qualms with Americans calling themselves Irish.
Think "ethnicity" not "nationality". Maybe that's what the whole Plastic Paddy friction is rooted in. I'm primarily of ethnic English background, but I'm certainly not English/British in the nationality sense.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I often have a qualms with Americans calling themselves Irish. There are people who live here who were born to Pakistanis or Indians who immigrated here in the 60's who I would consider fully British, and they would too, even though they have kept their traditions. Even people who were born in a foreign country but have lived here virtually all their lives, consider themselves British, especially when they have a British accent. So I wouldn't consider them Irish, but they would easily fit in in Ireland.
I was born in Singapore but have lived here since I was a babe. I'm an Australian citizen and consider myself Australian. I'm Singaporean only by birth and half by ancestry. Though i do like it in many ways, I doubt I could ever live there. I enjoy Singaporean/Malaysian food, but that's about the extent of my Asian culture. Here there are many Australian born people who consider themselves Lebanese, Italian etc first. They always talk about the 'Aussies' as if they're not Australians themselves.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,958,964 times
The way I see it is, 10,000+ years from now all those Africans and such would become white again with very similar facial features to Europeans of today. Human evolution

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Here there are many Australian born people who consider themselves Lebanese, Italian etc first. They always talk about the 'Aussies' as if they're not Australians themselves.
The same thing occurs in America. My parents definitely did that. I don't think the first-gen-ers would say "American" about a person, but might say "typical American" if referring to a situation or point of view, with a slight degree of exasperation.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, let me ask you this. Do you think first-generation Irish-Americans who grew up in a solid Irish Catholic (sorry, I see you're in the North) neighborhood in Chicago, Boston or New York, kept all the traditions in their families, and went to visit their relatives in Ireland regularly are "too American" or "not European enough" to either move to Ireland and, furthermore, be accepted once they got there?
Yes they are American not Irish.

And Yes I have American 2nd cousins and they are presbyterians and they pretend to be Irish but they really aren't. They are just like any other American.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
White genes are recessive. Over time, whites would lose their countries and their race. That wouldn't be a good thing, just as it wouldn't be a good thing for the same thing happening to any other race of people in their countries.
Why wouldn't it be a good thing?
I see no problem.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
As long as the Americans leave their awful politics and their gun nuttery behind, otherwise the Africans and Asians are a better option.
And their religion, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No we wouldn't

I'd prefer white americans to immigrate to the UK rather than the poles, pakistanis and Indian's that we are getting. No offence to them. Its just that our culture is being eroded in some places.
Do you really want the religious oppression and gun culture of the US, include in that demeaning women and non-acceptance of gays and anyone not white repubican?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ive heard this before from people who live acrost the pond. We dont do this to offend Europeans or confuse them, but it has to do with our history and how this nation was built. Here in the USA we do have alot of people who identify with thier ancestors and thier nations of origin. Considering we are a nation of immigrants I dont think this is that strange. American culture is a combination of English, German, Irish and other European traditions. Most people know what tradition thier families come from, and to many of us it is important to us. The eastern states have alot of Italians and eastern Europeans. I live in the upper midwest and here Germans are a large group. New England and New York also have alot of Irish people. English is present everywhere and it is the most dominant ancestory. (obviously, as we were their colony) We still identify with being American first, but this tie to the old countries is part of our history. Because of this we probably have access to more cultures and ethnic food than any nation on earth.
I guess you don't travel much.
I live in Europe and I probably have access to more cultures and ethnic food than you do in the US.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 AM

71 posts, read 263,157 times
Where did you get this idea from?

Mein Kampf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe