Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM

370 posts, read 951,715 times

Advertisements

What Americans have to do is fix their country, Europe is beyond help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,723,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
What Americans have to do is fix their country, Europe is beyond help.
Good luck with that! The left in this country is so distorted, the politicians are owned by corporate lobbyists. People are so fed up but the same politicians keep getting elected. And of course you have this massive population of people who depend on great gifts from the government so they keep voting in the same people.. slaves!!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Irish Americans who (like me) can prove the birth of their grandparents (I think even one) in the old sod can successfully apply for and receive an Irish passport and can live and work in the E.U. Lots of Irish Americans have done this.
This used to be the case with German descendants, too. If you could prove your ancestry was from there, you could get German citizenship. How it works now, after the formation of the EU, I don't know. It may not be an option anymore. I wouldn't mind dual citizenship in Germany and the US.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,899,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Really? that's the best you can think of? even here in the states there is much much much better!
Like Where?

Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Funny, when I worked at SeaWorld in San Diego, we would get Irish students each summer who would come to work with us for the summer. They would get so irritated in a confused way about the Americans who would say "I'm Irish". One Irish girl laid it out for these two and by the time she was done, I think smoke came out of their ears. As I told that one black dude, we Americans are so hung up on the past that the future looks like a foreign planet to them. the world simply doesn't see the world through our eyes (thank god) and Americans are thought of as Americans, nothing more, nothing less.

Me? I'm an American. The only qualifier I might use is "Black American". I don't use African American as I've never been there let alone call myself African, which is neither an ethnicity nor a nationality. The only Americans I know of who consider themselves Americans for the most part are Asian-Americans. I have a Vietnamese friend by acestry. Someone asked her what she was and she said "American, duh!" They asked but Chinese etc.? She said, her family came from Vietnam but she is a born and raised American and nothing else. Best answer I've ever heard anyone give.
It is irritating though.
When we went to florida everybody was Irish and I am not joking. Its extremely annoying and wrong. Its funny aswell when you see black folk and mexican folk coming up and saying 'my ggg granny was Irish' 'really '

Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It is irritating though.
When we went to florida everybody was Irish and I am not joking. Its extremely annoying and wrong. Its funny aswell when you see black folk and mexican folk coming up and saying 'my ggg granny was Irish' 'really '
There great great great granny probably was Irish.
My great great grandparents came from different countries but I feel 100% American.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It is irritating though.
Exactly, like what are they expecting you to do say something like; "Ow wow maybe my ggg granny knew her"

Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM

No we just said 'is she' and moved on.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,477,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This used to be the case with German descendants, too. If you could prove your ancestry was from there, you could get German citizenship. How it works now, after the formation of the EU, I don't know. It may not be an option anymore. I wouldn't mind dual citizenship in Germany and the US.
From my understanding if you have a German parent you are entitled to German citizenship. The only way you can get German citizenship through a grandparent is if they were displaced during WW2 and this is only from the Grandfather not the Grandmother. This would apply to Jewish people but most people would not be eligible through a grandparent.

Irish citizenship can be obtained through one grandparent being born in Ireland.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 AM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
From my understanding if you have a German parent you are entitled to German citizenship.
How is German defined? I have a German surname, but I'm also Anglo and Irish from my father's side as well, so does that mean my genes are too diluted to qualify even if I'm 100% Indo-European genetically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe