Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'd be curious, coldPlay, do you have a preference for taking the ferry? I've done that - not my choice - and wouldn't do it again.
I agree, and if you take your *own* car, be prepared to replace your shocks when you get back ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
please disregard. I figured it out. For those interested it is called the Heathrow express. Good to know they leave every 15 minutes from the airport to central London and the tickets look very reasonable with first class at US$47. I'm looking for any possible student discounts.

Thanks all for the input.
The underground is a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express. But, if you are arriving late in the evening I would be cautious about using it. It is also a lot slower than the Heathrow Express. Just be aware that, if you take the Heathrow Express, you will need a taxi from Paddington Station (where the Heathrow Express arrives) to your hotel. Will probably cost you around £7 - £10.

Also, you do not need to pay for first class. Regular (2nd) class is fine, the train is safe and it is only a 15-20 minute ride into London. I would never pay for 1st class even when I was on company expenses.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The underground is a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express. But, if you are arriving late in the evening I would be cautious about using it. It is also a lot slower than the Heathrow Express. Just be aware that, if you take the Heathrow Express, you will need a taxi from Paddington Station (where the Heathrow Express arrives) to your hotel. Will probably cost you around £7 - £10.

Also, you do not need to pay for first class. Regular (2nd) class is fine, the train is safe and it is only a 15-20 minute ride into London. I would never pay for 1st class even when I was on company expenses.
Jaggy001 is so right about Regular class. I used 1st Class on the TGV one year - but I was on a EuroPass so it didn't cost much. 1st Class is not where the cool people are.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM

261 posts, read 497,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

yes. I've decided to go as frugally as possible and will take the underground. I only have one bag and time will be flexible on arrival. I'll arrive around half hour after five, so it should be safe with the rush hour crowds around. thank you.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/?gcl...FcxcMgodDGEAng
20 pounds
This arrives at Paddington Station, straight up Park Lane, just north of Hyde Park
You can take the tube to Hyde Park Corner (closer), or to Green Park < your choice
Or taxi, as Jaggy says, next page

For the EuroStar, it leaves from St. Pancras International, near Camden Town
You can take the Piccadilly Line from Hyde Park Corner to St. Pancras - just east of Regent's Park
Or taxi...

Tube maps | Transport for London

I'd be curious, coldPlay, do you have a preference for taking the ferry? I've done that - not my choice - and wouldn't do it again. That is, I took the long overnight. First had to take a bus to the port, then get on the ferry, then take a slow train from La Havre to Paris - Gare du Nord (I think it was). Same process on return. I'd rather just get on the Eurostar and kick back.

And just a heads up, the metro in Paris is fairly easy, depending on destination. You should be able to take the metro to your hotel, or other.
oh this is awesome. Will take the Piccadilly. That just sounds so cute

Yes, I would love to take the ferry just to say that I sailed across the channel, I'll save that for a future trip when I learn my way around. According to my research, the stop in Paris is just down the street from my accommodations.

You all have been so great, thank you!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
oh this is awesome. Will take the Piccadilly. That just sounds so cute

Yes, I would love to take the ferry just to say that I sailed across the channel, I'll save that for a future trip when I learn my way around. According to my research, the stop in Paris is just down the street from my accommodations.

You all have been so great, thank you!
Paris Metro Map

Gare du Nord is north of center, a bit to the right.

Do you have plans for Paris? I ask as if not, then you might consider the Paris underground tunnels. There's a place to enter - near Denfert Rochereau, on the blue line, south of center. There miles and miles of bones that have been buried there since Paris began to grow and needed somewhere to stow the left overs.

Take a flashlight

Last edited by Willsson; 11-05-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Paris Metro Map

Do you have plans for Paris? I ask as if not, then you might consider the Paris underground tunnels. There's a place to enter - near Denfert Rochereau, on the blue line, south of center. There miles and miles of bones that have been buried there since Paris began to grow and needed somewhere to stow the left overs.

Take a flashlight

fascinating! I'll be alone aside from a couple of business meetings. My aim is to familiarize myself with the culture to see if its someplace I'd like to live. As for the London part, that has been a dream to go there since I was little, and I absolutely must see Buckingham Palace and all the wonderful things there or I'd never forgive myself. I think I'll like Paris too though - but my preference would probably be London. That may change after this trip. I'll report back to you all after the new year. lol

Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM

I saw this one Friday night at Boulevard St Michel at the Seine

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I saw this one Friday night at Boulevard St Michel at the Seine

I am so going to love this place!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
Quote:
Paris Metro Map

It is better to say RER B rather than Blue line, nobody will understand what he means if he designate line by colors.
It is better to use the numbers for the metro line and the letters for the RER.
There are three main lines that are blue (RER B, metro lines 2 and 13) and two have a north-south route (RER B and metro line 13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe