Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
O god you are back...
Done taking bath?
(I've heard you were taking bath in all that oil money?)
No, no, this is good that he's back, especially on this thread. We can let him deal with rebel, while we take a much-needed holiday, lol!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I'm having a hard time believing you actually live in Vladivostok. If you did, you would understand that what you write on these boards is a gross misrepresentation of what life is like in that city.
But you see, Russ online is in the gross misrepresenting business, as is rebel. We can let the two of them have at it with each other, and keep each other busy, while I, at least, go off an enjoy a real discussion, rather than these endless cold-war debates.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-09-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you see, Russ online is in the gross misrepresenting business, as is rebel. We can llet the two of them have at it with each other, and keep each other busy, while I, at least, go off an enjoy a real discussion, rather than these endless cold-war debates.
I'm a patient, curious person, Ruth. I'll stick around and see what happens!
Happy trails

Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
That may be so, but pointing out non-native English users' of language is unnecessary and does not discredit them; I would call that being provocative.
What if I went to a Russian language board and start posting in barely intelligible Russian or in English and on top of it really propagandist pieces claimimg everybody in the US drives a Porche and have a five bedroom house?
I have been to Russia when it was still Soviet Union and after. I know the realities there. Can't stand when someone is trying to pull my leg.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Plasma TVs appeared in the first half of 1990's, but were very expensive. Then came LCDs, and by the 21st century captured all market.

Living in Vladivostok I haven't seen CRT TVs for a loooong time. The popular electronics store network:

http://www.eldorado.ru/cat/2571/

CRT: 5

ÆÊ òåëåâèçîðû – êóïèòü ÆÊ òåëåâèçîð, öåíû, îòçûâû. Êàòàëîã ÆÊ òåëåâèçîðîâ â èíòåðíåò-ìàãàçèíå ÝËÜÄÎÐÀÄÎ, õàðàêòåðèñòèêè, îïèñàíèå, ôîòîãðàôèè.

LCD: 123

LED

LED: 197

3D-

3D: 115

Ïëàçìåííûå òåëåâèçîðû – êóïèòü ïëàçìåííûé òåëåâèçîð, öåíû, îòçûâû. Êàòàëîã òîâàðîâ â èíòåðíåò-ìàãàçèíå ÝËÜÄÎÐÀÄÎ, õàðàêòåðèñòèêè, îïèñàíèå, ôîòîãðàôèè.

Plasma: 47

10 most popular TVs in Primorye:

TOP10:

Almost all Polar TVs are LED. Not that this brand is representative of anything - almost all TVs are under foreign brands.
Plasmas were not even marketed in the first half of 1990's... They were introduced in 1997-98 at the cost of about $15000. What are you talking about? LOL

Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
What if I went to a Russian language board and start posting in barely intelligible Russian or in English and on top of it really propagandist pieces claimimg everybody in the US drives a Porche and have a five bedroom house?
I have been to Russia when it was still Soviet Union and after. I know the realities there. Can't stand when someone is trying to pull my leg.
You have a point. However, it would be pretty boring if actual Russians didn't lend their input to these discussions, and if they don't have perfect English, I don't have a problem with it.
About the claims, however, I am in agreement that there is some polishing of the truth going on here. This is partly why I post.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you see, Russ online is in the gross misrepresenting business, as is rebel. We can let the two of them have at it with each other, and keep each other busy, while I, at least, go off an enjoy a real discussion, rather than these endless cold-war debates.
No Ruth. I am talking about my experiences in Soviet Russia and Russia in the 90's. Since days of Soviet Union Russians are used to propaganda that puts Russian culture and technology on a pedestal while on fact culutrally Russia has not been at all influential in the past 50 years and technologically retarded even more. We all know American technologies as such plasma TVs and personal computers that are available world wide.
What Russian technology had the same impact?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
. if you posted propaganda in barely intelligible Russian on a Russian board, people would probably ignore you. Grey is actually a nice guy, so we cut him some slack.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-09-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
No Ruth. I am talking about my experiences in Soviet Russia and Russia in the 90's. Since days of Soviet Union Russians are used to propaganda that puts Russian culture and technology on a pedestal while on fact culutrally Russia has not been at all influential in the past 50 years and technologically retarded even more. We all know American technologies as such plasma TVs and personal computers that are available world wide.
What Russian technology had the same impact?
We already had a technology thread, which was closed, thanks to someone's trolling, not to mention any names. But I thought plasma TV's were Japanese tech. The US joined the game relatively late. Japan tends to be way out in front. i would buy the line that Russia got its plasma TV's via Japan, as someone mentioned earlier.

The US isn't always first with everything, you know.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Wow, plasma TVs weren't introduced until 1997, but they were available two-three years earlier in Vladivostok?
Yes, they were - priced for the rich, of course. And the wiki article mentions plasmas in US.

Quote:
From what I read, there are plenty of CRTs available at El Dorado.
The whole 5 models, that are out of stock, probably for years. CRTs are history in Russia.

Quote:
No cleaners are getting $1000/month in Vladivostok. That's just absurd. Here, see for yourself what actual salaries are like in Vladivostok. This is the local web site nearly everyone in Vladivostok uses in order to find jobs: Ðàáîòà - Âàêàíñèè
Please cite the link where they are paying 30,000 rubles for a cleaner. I'll wait.
I was talking about loaders (or whatever they are called in English):

Ðàáîòà - Âàêàíñèè - Ïîèñê: ãðóç÷èê - Âëàäèâîñòîê

Up to 40,000r (plus bonuses), and most vacancies are open for months.

Cleaners usually serve a number of clients, so their earnings are hard to estimate.

Quote:
Your utilities numbers are way off. In the winter
Winter doesn't last for 12 months even here. Just like 1-bedroom is not typical for a single poor guy. My numbers are perfectly correct.

Quote:
By the way, how does one get to China from Vladivostok for $30 (and get back, of course), unless one walks?
Roundtrip bus ticket Vladivostok-Suifunhe costs about $30.

Quote:
The "lowest class guy" in Russia might live better than in America if he has a flat in the family. You fail to mention that most Russian families got their flats gratis after the fall of the Soviet Union.
1. Soviet housing is still well and alive.
2. A lot was built since then, including a lot of free housing. In Vladivostok two new districts with free apartments (for young families and for military officers) were built recently. Plus housing certificates (a few millions that can be spent on home purchase) were provided. Plus subsidized mortgage. Plus "parent's capital".

Quote:
A more realistic sum is a minimum of 15,000-20,000 rubles/month.
People, who pay such rent/mortgage alone, do not work for 30k.

Quote:
Food can be very cheap, if you want to eat potatoes, onions, and grechka every day (and re-use your black tea bags). What a symphony for the taste buds! Decent meat (not that horrific, pink bologna-type stuff) in Vladivostok costs much more than it does in the US. Imported foods are very expensive. Cafes are more expensive; a simple dinner for two (salad, entree, drink) will cost a minimum of 1200 rubles, probably more.
1. Why reuse tea bags that cost almost nothing? If somebody's doing this - it's definitely not to save.
2. Silly tourist, try to shop and dine outside downtown.

Quote:
In short, I'm calling BS on nearly everything you've written in this post. I don't know what your motivation is by spreading this disinformation, but to anyone whose lived for any length of time in Vladivostok, it is obvious that you're BSing.
Just another silly tourist, who only saw what he wanted to see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe