Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Europe on its way to becoming an Anglophone continent?
No way, not in a trillion years 31 47.69%
Maybe in a thousand years 10 15.38%
Maybe in a hundred years 14 21.54%
It's happening already and yes, eventually Europe's native languages will go extinct 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It's becoming a thing to say in the younger generation. Although I pronounce it the British way and will continue to do so. The American way dosnt sound right.
Well, I'm old and I hang out with mostly old people.

Some of my American pronunciation and vocabulary I've kept, some I've changed. I think I've changed more than I kept, not always intentionally. It just creeps in after years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I hate it when you go to the UK and there's all those different annoying accents. Everybody there should just speak American English. Or esperanto.
Are you people idiots? He was clearly joking, for the love of god.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Well I'm not sure if English will still be even around in thousands of years. I bet in every era they thought the lingua franca would last forever: Sumerian, Greek, Latin.etc - English is still a young language, it arose in modern form around 1600, and it's international rise is tied firstly to British colonialism and then American mass media. It is having it's day now but I don't believe it will last forever. It is not the most perfect form of communication. I do, however, think it will rise more in Europe and elsewhere but never become truly universal. Other nations are too nationalistic and would resent English wiping out their native language. For now, the English craze is more about practicality as so much is in English. While many English speakers are monoglots, we can, I suppose, derive a sort of pride in being native speakers of the unofficial 'global language.'

Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
He lives in Northern Ireland. So if that's where he's from, he's Irish.
the majority of people who live in northern ireland are not irish , you insult a large number of people through your implication

Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
He lives in Northern Ireland. So if that's where he's from, he's Irish.
He may be Irish by geographic location and ethnic background, but he definitely identifies as British as most Northern Irish do. They do not see themselves as the same as the people of the ROI

Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He may be Irish by geographic location and ethnic background, but he definitely identifies as British as most Northern Irish do. They do not see themselves as the same as the people of the ROI
that was my point , most people accept that two different nationalitys live in northern ireland , around 47% british - 43% irish , roughly speaking

Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 PM

666 posts, read 1,292,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Hopefully.
I hate it when you goto Europe and theres all these foreign languages, everybody should just speak english.

But, no I don't think so. Europeans are attached like Superglue to their culture, so there is no way that they will trade their language for english.
Wait a second... Why English? Why can't it be French? Or Spanish? Or Italian or German?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM

666 posts, read 1,292,456 times
Owenc last time I checked the British Isles are part of Europe. So you are in Europe. Even Iceland which is already half way between North America and Europe so you will still be in Europe if you go to Iceland.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Wait a second... Why English? Why can't it be French? Or Spanish? Or Italian or German?
Well, because it is an international language that so many people know, its influence covers alot of countries. USA, UK, Canada, Australia, hong Kong.

Quite alot.

French or Spanish have nowhere near the size of influence that English has. I mean Spanish is really only in South America, Mexico and Spain and perhaps the carribean.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Owenc last time I checked the British Isles are part of Europe. So you are in Europe. Even Iceland which is already half way between North America and Europe so you will still be in Europe if you go to Iceland.
No, part of the European Continential plate. We are not phyiscally on the European continent.

Iceland is half North America, half Europe. So you could be wrong depending on where you are. If i'm being honest, Iceland is more of its own continent. Its more linked with Greenland than Europe.
Either way, the North American plate boundary runs 600 miles to the west of me, so we are more or less at the end of Europe.

Last edited by Mac15; 11-01-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe