Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Years ago, some British referred to Ireland as a "priest-ridden potato republic". Nothing could be further from the truth nowadays, but people still find reasons to dislike Eire.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think Ireland is Terrific since my wife was made there! In general I have found the Irish people to be friendly, caring and giving. They also tend to have a very positive outlook on life. What we don't like is how Irish people are protrayed as drunks. Sure alot of Irish people drink but not any more than people of other nations. I think what perpetuates this drunken Irishman mentality is how St Patricks day in the US is used by many as an excuse to drink green beer and get sloshed. In Ireland it is a Holy day. We have seen offensive Tshirts where there are several characters passed out and bent around in awkward postions with the title "Irish Yoga" Imagine if the characters were passed out black people and the title was "smoked crack" There would be a problem.
The Irish are still the worlds punching bags even after doing and achieving so much over the centuries and they take it all in stride. Ireland and its people are beautiful.
Perhaps the haters are simply jealous.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
I don't know anyone that "put's down" Ireland. I've found that a lot of Americans that claim to be Irish (when they are considered purely American by people born/raised in Ireland) and they put Ireland on some pedestal. My husband can't get Americans to stop discussing their great- great -great- grandfather from Cork (or wherever) after my husband opens his mouth and they hear his accent.

I have a friend from Ireland that worked in the tech industry in California. Once day he showed up late to work and his boss said, "I bet you're late because you drank too much last night?"

My friend replied in an irritated voice "that's such a stereotypical and offensive thing to believe just because I'm Irish!" "you wouldn't say something like that if I were American or Chinese or any other nationality, right?!!"......"What, you think we're are always drunk or something?"

My friend then gave his boss a very wide grin then quipped, "Naaaah...you're absolutely right...I'm completely hungover."

As for the British thing---Most Irish, if given the choice would generally prefer to hang out in a bar with the English rather than Americans. I've heard this over and over again. There's still a European camaraderie and similar world view between the two despite the tumultuous and dysfunctional history. I don't know anyone from Republic that hates English people (just some gentle ribbing at times) or vice versa.

Last edited by clongirl; 01-11-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
I love Ireland (never been) by godmother's Irish. Ireland as done well as a republic it still as issues but its done well to maintain its heritage and its culture.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Years ago, some British referred to Ireland as a "priest-ridden potato republic". Nothing could be further from the truth nowadays, but people still find reasons to dislike Eire.

in the same way that its culturally acceptable to denigrate or at least mock some religons more than others , making snide comments about certain countries is also tollerated

Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I love Ireland (never been) by godmother's Irish. Ireland as done well as a republic it still as issues but its done well to maintain its heritage and its culture.
if your refering to the term " republic " in the true sense of the word

ireland would be given a C at best

its still a country which caters to those who are on the inside , its no meritocrocy , thats for sure

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Because everything always revolves around religiona and because most anglosphere countries are protestant thats the way it works out.

I think people would be more respectful of the country if the holy bits of catholism were taken away. For example holy days, angelus etc. I mean im mixed ancestry but catholic (unionist though) and i feel that the catholic church is really backward and needs to change. Most people are ready and want change. When i was up in my grannies on sunday my mother suggested that they get rid of the blessing bowl (idk what its called) and the hand shaking. I hate putting my hand in that thing its disgusting.

The catholic church has no bearing on my life, i only go at christmas. I may aswell just convert to the church of ireland.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Because everything always revolves around religiona and because most anglosphere countries are protestant thats the way it works out.

I think people would be more respectful of the country if the holy bits of catholism were taken away. For example holy days, angelus etc. I mean im mixed ancestry but catholic (unionist though) and i feel that the catholic church is really backward and needs to change. Most people are ready and want change. When i was up in my grannies on sunday my mother suggested that they get rid of the blessing bowl (idk what its called) and the hand shaking. I hate putting my hand in that thing its disgusting.

The catholic church has no bearing on my life, i only go at christmas. I may aswell just convert to the church of ireland.

so whats stopping you from crossing the street ?

im sure you would find more people of the same political persuasion aswell

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Is Ireland really that religious? I mean isn't there people who only vaguely call themselves catholic yet only it doesn't dominate their life/more with the times.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Is Ireland really that religious? I mean isn't there people who only vaguely call themselves catholic yet only it doesn't dominate their life/more with the times.
its more religous than the uk but less religous than the likes of poland

i know a lot of people who still go to mass on sunday but their not religous , outside the cities ( and ireland is still very rural ) its more of a cultural practice than borne out of deep conviction

compared to thirty or even twenty years ago , religous observance has seriously dropped

it will always be a culturally catholic country however , religon influences national charechter a lot more than modern liberals would care to admit , the scanadanavian countries for example , while thoroughly secular , have the lutheran influence written all over them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.