Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Madrid or Barcelona?
Madrid 52 54.74%
Barcelona 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM

101 posts, read 321,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrinho View Post
When catalans talk about rednecks from the deep Spain they mean usually people from Castilia... sadly. Superior complex.

Madrid, madrileños, the "chelis"..also manchegos, they are similar to Southern Rednecks, always with a phony patriotism, phony jingoism....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboconsudor View Post
Madrid, madrileños, the "chelis"..also manchegos, they are similar to Southern Rednecks, always with a phony patriotism, phony jingoism....
It doesn't sound very kind... are you Catalan?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 AM

101 posts, read 321,152 times
There are Catalans that are equally kitsch and dandruffy.
Nationalist politicians are "carrincló" (roughshod), plain ridiculous, but everyone knows it's make believe and that the name of the game is power and money...so we vote for them.
I'm from a small county in Tarragona, the Catalan thing goes over my head..more so when the real problem we have is Barcelona.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboconsudor View Post
They are basically the people that insult Spanish visitors by speaking their atrocious Catalan to them. They behave like asses when they return to their original towns in Spain, and start to speak Catalan there, in front of their own family...just as if they were superior or something. Quite demential, since those people living in those Spanish towns live 10 times better than them, that usually live in ghettoish "barriadas". They give Catalans a very bad name.

Then comes Football, they are all Barça, of course, always with their idiotic football shirts.
You forgot to mention that we also eat children.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM

90 posts, read 109,189 times
Cleanliness: not sure

Friendly people: Madrid for sure.

Attractive people: ??? It depends on your definition of attractive

Atmosphere:Madrid, more open. No nationalists there like in Barcelona.

Open mindness: Madrid.

Transport: Both

Multicultural:Madrid

Elegancy: Not sure

Party: Madrid for regular Joes, Barcelona for rich people.

Culture (museums etc): Equal

Cuisine: Equal

Scenery: Barcelona, just for the beach.

History: Both

Shopping: Both

Wheater: Barcelona, but I prefer cold weather.

Safety: Similar

Affordability: More or less the same.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Was in Barcelona last summer, and was kind of disappointed. It felt too family-oriented and too touristy in many parts for me (Las Ramblas...UGH), but it was still very, very nice. It was also the only place I've ever been to abroad where I didn't meet and become attached to someone who showed me around and explained their POV as a local, so maybe it's the lack of fond memories too.

I'm going to Madrid this spring and I am PUMPED. In retrospect, the reason I flew in to BCN was because I had never been near a sea at the time and just wanted to be in one that badly. At this point, I am way more attracted to Madrid and am unbelievably excited for all the food and wandering around...and maybe some late nights.
How was Madrid Jesse?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There is a Gaudi house here and there. They look goofy to me. I think they inspired some of the goofy rip-offs used for "organic" looking houses and restaurants by the sea in Southern California.

On top of that, Sagrada Familia is one of the biggest wastes of time. It is incomplete. Your admission ticket helps pay for its completion. The autonomous region of Catalonia should pay a bigger share. Good luck trying to take a picture of it without having a crane or construction equipment in the way.

The buildings in Madrid are more interesting, overall. One of the few interesting buildings in Barcelona is Richard Meier's Museum of Contemporary Art, partly because you are walking through an old neighborhood, and it's like an apparition.
In defense of Sagrada Familia, I believe it's typical of giant cathedrals taking like almost 200-something years to be completed. As a matter of fact, one of the cathedrals in New York City is still unfinished. I think that might be St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM

15 posts, read 18,249 times
Madrid by far.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I prefer Barcelona but, Madrid is high on my list of world cities also. I would gladly move to either over most places in the U.S. if that tells you anything...

I disagree, Barcelona is a top tier world destination city. Definitely nothing like Manchester or Gothenberg...way above those cities IMO. Countries can have more than one *very* nice city. It's more like NYC and LA...
You're not alone on that. I've never visited both cities yet (Nor anywhere outside the U.S. for that matter), but these two cities are definitely high on my list to visit one day. If I was interested in applying for dual citizenship (If possible for Spain) or to temporarily live in or at least one year in Spain, I would love to live in Madrid the most.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 7,704 times
Default Difficult question

I love both

Cleanliness: Madrid

Friendly people: Madrid

Attractive people: Barcelona

Atmosphere: Madrid

Open mindness: Madrid

Transport: Madrid

Multicultural: Barcelona

Elegancy: Barcelona

Party: Madrid

Culture (museums etc): Madrid

Cuisine: Barcelona

Scenery: Barcelona

History: Madrid

Shopping: Barcelona

Wheater: Barcelona

Safety: Madrid

Affordability:Madrid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe