Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Madrid or Barcelona?
Madrid 52 54.74%
Barcelona 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times

Advertisements

Loved Madrid. Felt more urban, more "real." It felt like the Spanish New York (especially Gran Via). Most of the foreigners seemed to be from former Spanish colonies. That made it feel less touristy because those people actually lived and worked there. I hardly ever spoke English with anyone. Barcelona was overrun with tourists from everywhere. It seemed that I heard every language but Spanish, yes I know that Catalan is what they speak, but I also heard a lot of French, Italian, English, and everything else from the tourists. Barcelona was aesthetically pleasing though. I liked that there were large medians in the roads and those medians had cafes and vendors. But I still liked the urban feeling of Madrid much better. It felt so much more alive, even though Barcelona is the 4th most visited city in Europe.

And like others mentioned above, people in Madrid are friendly. I didn't expect that from a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Loved Madrid. Felt more urban, more "real." It felt like the Spanish New York (especially Gran Via). Most of the foreigners seemed to be from former Spanish colonies. That made it feel less touristy because those people actually lived and worked there. I hardly ever spoke English with anyone. Barcelona was overrun with tourists from everywhere. It seemed that I heard every language but Spanish, yes I know that Catalan is what they speak, but I also heard a lot of French, Italian, English, and everything else from the tourists. Barcelona was aesthetically pleasing though. I liked that there were large medians in the roads and those medians had cafes and vendors. But I still liked the urban feeling of Madrid much better. It felt so much more alive, even though Barcelona is the 4th most visited city in Europe.

And like others mentioned above, people in Madrid are friendly. I didn't expect that from a big city.
Now I'm on the border of changing my vote, which I can't do. Being able to walk down Las Ramblas, avoiding the vendors and the mimes, to the waterfront and to the beach is why I voted for Barcelona.

However, my cousins and I were discussing Barcelona and Lisbon (not to digress). We all agreed on Lisbon, hands down.

Many cities with some type of a harbor are often preferred to inland ones. However, France, Germany, and England, among others, would have to be exceptions to this rule of thumb.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Surprisingly, customer service in Madrid, even in places like the RENFE Atocha station, was good throughout the city and noticeably better than in Barcelona. Madrid is a great city to walk around and has more of a core than does Barcelona, along the Gran Via and in arcaded Plaza Mayor.

It helps that I am conversant in Spanish. In Madrid, they just speak Castilian Spanish to you as if it's no big deal. In Barcelona, I was taking pictures of the port from Montjuic and I got into a conversation with a local lady and her husband. She asked where I learned it. I told her I took Spanish at my university. Then she muttered "Espanol ... Espanol ..." It sunk in. Sorry, lady, spare me the lesson in local politics. That's what it's called in America. Just appreciate that I bothered to learn the language.
I was told by a woman that "you should learn Catalan..." I still wonder, what for?? lol Not useful at all for me as they also speak Spanish and if they don't it is because they don't want.

So people I tell you something, if you go to Barcelona don't be afraid of the Catalan language as every local from there can speak a perfect Spanish.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I was told by a woman that "you should learn Catalan..." I still wonder, what for?? lol Not useful at all for me as they also speak Spanish and if they don't it is because they don't want.

So people I tell you something, if you go to Barcelona don't be afraid of the Catalan language as every local from there can speak a perfect Spanish.
Yo se.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times
Been to both Madrid & Barcelona. Barcelona summer 2012 & Madrid, summer 2011. I enjoyed both of them truthfully.

DH is from Valencia though & we both prefer Barcelona hands down! Especially me, as an American

However, we both agree that Valencia is a much better place for us to eventually live & raise a family in...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,525 times
Absolutely love both cities.. but I would say Madrid wins for me.

It's bigger, more cosmopolitan, cheaper, much less touristy, more lively and has better food and architecture than Barcelona. And I like the comparison made by Smtchll with New York – I really got that sense too when perambulating the Gran Vía. Nowhere else in Europe I've seen has that very tall, 10+ story belle époque architecture. Felt more like Manhattan than anywhere else in Europe. But then again Chueca or Malasaña have that very dense, southern European feel and are genuinely cool, unlike some of the slightly pretentious "hipster" neighbourhoods you find in London, Paris or NYC. And the train stations and metro network is incredible – cheap, modern, spotlessly clean... And the parks...boating in the Retiro... Endless lazy nights out which start with dinner at 11pm...I could go on. It's awesome. Would move there in a flash if it weren't for the terrible economy!

Barcelona is awesome too but it's very much a "second city", smaller and much more provincial than Madrid. It's Manchester to Britain's London, or Gothenburg to Sweden's Stockholm. The Catalan vibe is interesting but I think it makes for quite a closed city to integrate into. Foreigners basically have to master two languages to fit in. Plus it's very touristy. I guess what it does have going for it over Madrid is the beach and sea, the nicer climate (Mediterranean, against the cold winter/hot summer continental climate of the capital), and the mountains towering over it, give Barcelona an incredible natural setting that I suppose landlocked Madrid lacks.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Was in Barcelona last summer, and was kind of disappointed. It felt too family-oriented and too touristy in many parts for me (Las Ramblas...UGH), but it was still very, very nice. It was also the only place I've ever been to abroad where I didn't meet and become attached to someone who showed me around and explained their POV as a local, so maybe it's the lack of fond memories too.

I'm going to Madrid this spring and I am PUMPED. In retrospect, the reason I flew in to BCN was because I had never been near a sea at the time and just wanted to be in one that badly. At this point, I am way more attracted to Madrid and am unbelievably excited for all the food and wandering around...and maybe some late nights.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
I haven't been to Spain but Barcelona draws me more, I think largely because I'm a big fan of Gaudi and his work.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't been to Spain but Barcelona draws me more, I think largely because I'm a big fan of Gaudi and his work.
There is a Gaudi house here and there. They look goofy to me. I think they inspired some of the goofy rip-offs used for "organic" looking houses and restaurants by the sea in Southern California.

On top of that, Sagrada Familia is one of the biggest wastes of time. It is incomplete. Your admission ticket helps pay for its completion. The autonomous region of Catalonia should pay a bigger share. Good luck trying to take a picture of it without having a crane or construction equipment in the way.

The buildings in Madrid are more interesting, overall. One of the few interesting buildings in Barcelona is Richard Meier's Museum of Contemporary Art, partly because you are walking through an old neighborhood, and it's like an apparition.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
I only stayed in Madrid for one entire day and for four days in Barcelona. I felt it was easier getting around Madrid with public transportation. The people seemed more helpful whenever i stopped to ask questions about museums, restaurants, etc. It was a bit more fun in Barcelona though....many things to do and not enough time in Barcelona. I'll still take Sevilla over both cities. I thoroughly enjoyed it much more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe